SOLVED Weird AI and safety car behavior

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Deleted member 58016, Dec 3, 2023.

1. Maybe it has been mentioned, but I do not find a similar report ... while checking out VR options and performance I was driving a KI race (10 opponents) on one of our community servers and encountered a weird behavior of the AI (also of the Safety Car).

I have done a video.

I have just touched one car (a Ferrari) but had not contact at all to any other - release 1134, reproducable all the time with same / similar behavior.

(edit: video link removed)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2023
  2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Which track is this?

(Don't say Barcelona :p)

3. Ah - I guess I have missed something concerning Don't say Barcelona ;-)

4. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

When you moved to v1134, did you change the Player.json at all?

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

As far as I'm aware there is no Barcelona included in rF2.

So the track you're using, will be a particular name and version and be from some source.

The track's AIW will largely determine the AI driving lines and behaviour. So it's likely the track itself is the problem here, if what Dave correctly mentions doesn't fix it. (ie old entries/values can mess with recent AI improvements)

"Don't say Barcelona" just meant I can see it's Barcelona - more info is needed :D

6. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

@Lazza makes a good point. I should have also contributed this advice as well: Whenever you see an apparent track problem, first try and duplicate the issue at one of the official tracks. Same goes for cars. Always test with official products. If the cars behave at Portland, or ANY of the paid tracks, the issue can be isolated to whomever modded the track you were using. The AIW file may have errors or poorly lined up corridors. Some track authors concentrate on building tracks for ONLINE use and often do not pay much attention to how the track works in offline play. Or they may have released the track in a partially completed state waiting for help constructing the AI files. Just another item to keep near the front of my brain for next time.

7. Thanks for answering.

Yes - indeed I did not give detailed information; it is Barcelona (need to look up version) from Steam workshop, but we have driven that one a couple of times and did not encounter any problems before.

If player.json has to be renewed, which one? I fear server one has to be deleted?

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Whatever is running the AI. If they're on a server, then yeah, the player.json on there.

9. Checked it - you are right. It does not happen when I choose e.g. Spa. So forget about it - sorry :-(

10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

It's no problem.

The thing with such an open game is you get the benefit of anyone being able to make content, so lots of content. But even with official content there can be a variation in quality and behaviour, so the community stuff only varies more. As users it's up to us to differentiate, especially when it comes to identifying issues.

Deleted member 58016 likes this.
  11. I was not sure about Barcelona tbh. First thinking it over as it was asked if DLC or not.

I am a little astonished if I should delete player.json on the server instances now in order to achieve newest functionality, but this would be some kind of work because of having several instances running.

I am also thinking about writing a powershell script to just read all the values of the former player.json in order to configure the new one, but this would also write older default values into the newer json file ... so I think it is no option :-(

12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I'd suspect on a server the .json probably hasn't had the tweaking that tends to kill AI in recent builds, but it depends how much you've run AI and whether you tried the various settings to improve them (which were valid at the time).

It's not a new file format or anything like that, maybe (maybe) some parameters that aren't there anymore but they'd probably get ignored or removed anyway. But if you think you might have tuned the AI over time, it shouldn't be too hard to start with a new player.json and pull your required settings over. It's like a 5 minute task if you have some decent comparison software.