warning led for lights

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Slow Motion, Oct 25, 2014.

1. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

I need some help for adding a warning led into the cockpit that flashes when lights are on.

I wasn't able to find any docs / info about this specific point. Into the ISI docs (pag. 14) I found the list of the available (documented) "warning lights" but nothing related to the lights of the car.

Thank you.

2. jerrymcc

jerrymcc Registered

Sorry I can't help, but thanks for looking into it. I know a lot of drivers that would like this indicator. Or ... ISI could make the headlights visible in hdr.

3. Radar

Radar Registered

I can help you with a static light, but flashing is something I don't have an answer for..

To be honest, a static light would be better than a flashing one anyway, least distracting and still tells the message 'you have your lights on'

4. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

So what is the required material naming / event for lights in cockpit ?

5. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

I tried to do this by adding an object to my headlights(HLGLO), that was positioned on the dashboard, but it doesn't show in cockpit view. It will show in third person though. And yes, I did add it to the cockpit gen area.

6. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

Hoping for Radar to tell us... :)

7. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

Thanks for some answers... well I'm also experimenting adding an object to be transformed into a material only into the HLGLO_PS or _DS and in this way it works but, as Coutie wrote, not in cockpit view... so I sent a PM to Radar waiting for help.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2014
  8. Radar

Radar Registered

Hi Guys, sorry about the delay, I don't get much chance nowadays..

Ok, to answer, it does look like you guys are on the right track, by using the headlights GMT files naming (HGLOW as you say).. To make sure, I'm happy to have a look at the files in question (DevMod files are fine) but just to be sure, can you guys look at the headlight files, the naming of the files and also, as I know the Dev mode can have some issues, just try it on an actual track..

I've sent a reply to the PM for the DevMod, will assist and give my findings as quickly as I can.

9. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

10. Radar

Radar Registered

Thanks Slow Motion, I got your PM, I will have a look at this tonight for you, hopefully have it back as quickly as possible.

I'm pretty sure I know what the problem is straight away but I best have a look before I eat my words.

11. Radar

Radar Registered

Damn, not as easy as I thought.. I see what you mean, I've tried a few things and nothing wants to display the lights on, on the switch in the cockpit, TV Cockpit view in the exact same spot shows the lights on, on the switch.. I'm stuffed as to why it's not working.. I even duplicated the rev light to the same spot as the lights switch, in the HLGLOW_DS.GMT and nothing for both the Rev light and Lights switch so somethings not right..

I have a couple other things I want to try but will do this tomorrow as it's getting a bit late here now.. Will keep you posted.

12. redapg

redapg Registered

Is this solved?
    I got curious and made a test.

I added a simple object to the default headlight gmt (hlglo_ds.gmt) which shows up in the cockpit.
    Now when i turn on/off the light, the object is turned on/off too.
    The, i guess, important point was, to put the whole instance of the headlight-object into the Cpit-area of the gen file, that it looks like this:

Instance=COCKPIT
    {
    Moveable=True VisGroups=(32)
    MeshFile=cpit_cgt_windscreen.gmt CollTarget=False HATTarget=False ShadowCaster=False LODIn=(0.0) LODOut=(2.0) Reflect=True
    MeshFile=cpit_cgt_upgrades.gmt CollTarget=False HATTarget=False LODIn=(0.0) LODOut=(2.0)
    MeshFile=<DIGDISPSCR> CollTarget=False HATTarget=False LODIn=(0.0) LODOut=(2.0)
    MeshFile=<COCKPITSCR> CollTarget=False HATTarget=False LODIn=(0.0) LODOut=(2.0)
    // AnimFile=cgtwischer.anm

Instance=HlightDS //Headlights -Driver Side
    {
    Moveable=True
    MeshFile=hlglo_DS.gmt CollTarget=False HATTarget=False LODIn=(0.0) LODOut=(350.0)
    }
    }

Here is a little video, the light shows up between the rfactor and motec displays, a little bit lower.

13. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

Do your headlight glows show though? Mine don't, only the cockpit object shows.

14. redapg

redapg Registered

Damn you are right, same here, didn't tested that because i didn't expect that the Cockpit-section would affect the rest of the gen file entries.

Did a new test as a compromise, but don't know if that can cause other problems.....

Compromise is, to put both headlights together as one object, e.g. hlglo_ds.gmt and the Cockpitlight as hlglo_ps.gmt.
    And then leave the entry of the Instance=HlightDS at it's normal position in the gen file and move the whole Instance=HlightPS entry into the Cockpit-section.

Not very elegant, i know :D

15. Radar

Radar Registered

To be honest I don't believe it's the gen files, it's something in the GMT files. To prove this point the Rev Light disappeared when I duplicated the light, moved it to the right side of the car and saved these in the HLGLOW file. This made the Rev light disappeared (which I kind of thought it would given the issue I have).. I've reversed the faces just to test, this didn't work either.

The other point to make, is that the additional object in the HLGLOW file shows on external cameras, even on a camera that is positioned in the same spot as the cockpit view. So everything works as it should, just not in Cockpit view (hence, GEN files have nothing to do with this issue).

I have a few more things to try. Hopefully have something soon.

16. jerrymcc

jerrymcc Registered

Just a thought from a concerned citizen ...

Could you put a small reflective plane in the cockpit view far enough forward (probably in the window view?) for the headlights to reflect on it? Then you might know if the lights are on or not?

17. redapg

redapg Registered

I guess the main-problem is, that the lights definately need the correct Instance and gmt name, to work correctly.
    And additionally that the cockpit-section in the gen file affects the rest of the gen entries.

In my eyes the "problem" could easily be solved, when the lights only would need a special part of the material-name, like e.g. "headlight_XXX" or "brakelight_XXX" to make it work.

Then you could use different instance and gmt names and put the needed lights into the wanted section and it could work as wanted.

But this is an old "problem" from rF1, where some people asked ISI to change that, a long time ago ;)

18. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Maybe it could be enough, to change the motec backlight from blue to e.g. light blue when headlight are switched on.

19. Radar

Radar Registered

I've given up.. I think Redapg is right, it's been a problem (I wasn't aware it was) since rF1 and it's still a problem now. I tried everything I could think of and still couldn't get it to work, even removed some lines in the GEN file to see if anything was 'blocking' it but nothing, still no lights in the cockpit view.

Tried replacement name with that of one of the lights, removing the switch model name. So that ruled out the naming of it. Tried using brake lights & headlights in the switches place (even though at the back of my mind I figured this wouldn't work). Tried using the object in the cockpit.gmt with the same naming as the lights, still nothing.. Added a new GMT to the gen file under cockpit, nothing..

Clearly, as Redapg has said, this looks to be an ISI issue that needs to looked into for modders. I can't see it being a huge amount of time to fix, I mean if it works from a camera view and not in cockpit then something is a miss that ISI could possibly fix easy enough..

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2014
  20. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

That was an unfortunate confirmation :p