Wanting to get a steering wheel

Discussion in 'Real Racing Discussion' started by Josh Boardman, Jul 31, 2014.

1. Josh Boardman

Josh Boardman Registered

Hello everyone im brand new to this forum and as a matter of fact im new to pc games. I own a ps3 and have only really played those kinds of games. I recently purchased rfactor because I am a huge dirt track racing fan and want to play! This is my first pc game ever! I tried to download my ps3 controller to my computer to use it for the game and it didnt work, it feels like I have tried everything. Then I found out that you can actually buy steering wheels for the pc and i was wondering which one would work best for dirt track racing because that is all i would use it for. I know they are a bit pricey and I really dont want to spend a fortune, so any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Josh

2. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

First, Welcome to simracing.
    As to the wheel..What's your budget?
    As you are new and your usage will be somewhat limited to dirt track running, I'd recommend something like the Logitech Driving Force Pro as a first wheel.
    You can sometimes find reconditioned units on Amazon for around $50-90.
    If you decide you like it and want to spend a bit more you can add a set of decent pedals to that wheel.
    If you decide to go further then the possibilities are endless.
    That at least will get you started with a decent starting wheel for not a whole lot of money.
    Good luck.

3. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2014
  4. coops

coops Banned

Logitech g27 is as cheap as that i think and a very gd wheel

5. speed1

speed1 Banned

It works, even with bluetooth. I'm lately experimenting with some controllers a bit and the PS3 dualshock is one of the recently tested ones. rf2 is just bad at game pad ffb effects and axle detection with pads, such as the triggers beeing wrong detected as digital buttons. The resolution and responding qualities are fairly bad overall.

6. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

If you have a desktop PC you will need a BlueTooth adapter to receive the DualShock 3 signal. If you do feel like you'd want to race more than just dirt track stuff (effectively leaving you with WRC 4 or DiRT series to play on PC, both which are friendlier titles than sims like Richard Burns Rally) then you should consider a wheel but only if you can mount it properly. Have a look on Youtube for simracing videos that display people's setup too.

The Logitech DFGT is a good beginner's wheel. If you really want to invest more into it then you should start looking into other wheels like the G25, putting you into the older/lower-end proper wheels so you wouldn't spend too much right away, although if you really feel like going for it then be prepared to spend money to buy a G27/Porsche GT3 v2/T500.

7. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Yeah......... mounting, desk height seat , etc etc.

All this can impact severely the experience.