VR too bright/washed off

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by moonm8trx, Jun 9, 2020.

1. Oldgamergazza

Oldgamergazza Registered

I am still having this issue, does reinstalling solve it?
    I have found changing the weather to cloudy solves it for me, but would rather not have to do this.

2. IMHO no. You need to use tools like OVR or openXR in order to reduce contrast and brightness.

3. Oldgamergazza

Oldgamergazza Registered

I have just reinstalled RF2 to another drive, and moved everything using Steam, I use Simvibe which then did not recognise RF2 as being installed so I uninstalled keeping cars and locations, now I dont appear (only tried it briefly) to have the effect of the track (Sebring) being too bright, I am wondering if its as the weather is set to Default that I don't have the problem?

4. Some people report the problem being worst around 2 p.m ingame time, disappearing with time proceeding.

Some say it is randomly appearing so it suddenly disappears while driving.

All in all it just happens with weather set to „clear“ / „sunny“ and not if weather is set to „cloudy“.

At least I have that problem on Sebring, Indianapolis, Daytona and I need to check some other tracks.

When lowering „exposure“ in openXR it has the biggest influence and shadows become much more intense at the same time while brightness of the track becomes more or less normal.

Interestingly there are no or less problems while using monitors at the same time (the mirrored scenery while using HMD+mirror shows a normal lightened track surface).

I also deleted folders like LocalStorage and Shaders, but it did not change anything.

I could give a reinstall a try, but I do have a 180GB installation.

5. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

yes, when the sun is high without clouds it is impossible or very difficult to see the road, at curve 8 of LeMans the curve that leads to the first long straight, it becomes impossible to see the line, in fact many times you cut track because you don't see the track or the limits of excess brightness
    try LeMans and you will see

Deleted member 58016 likes this.
  6. Hm ... maybe I will start another thread in order just to collect the names of the track where is happens or it is even pretty bad to drive when the sun is shining.

I was thinking about it and I am wondering about the issue having such light effects in VR whereas the mirrored scenery on monitor is just normal.

Some points:
    • I was always using Nvidia GPUs, but maybe someone with an AMD one could report if it is the same with those cards?
    • Second - I need to check is it happening with HMD mirror disable (then we have a black window on screen)?
    • Nvidia control center does not influence brightness, contrast, gamma etc. in VR, but some people say it does?
    I am not a software programmer, but might it be that all settings are just ignored / overridden when using VR and so "everything" is set to 100 or even maxed out for some reason?

Assuming Nvidia control panel would have influence on VR then I would say Gamma is just maxed out or even set to 2.00 or something like that ... but it seems it is not working or even all settings of color adjustment are overridden.

Following another article I found on the web and based on my assumption I would say, post processing needs to be disabled in game and kind of enabled in - lets say - openXR ...

... will try this.

juanchioooo likes this.
  7. Maybe, maybe, maybe ... I made a little progress and maybe someone else could prove this - find attached my NVidia control panel settings (I am using global ones except application specific ones and - sorry - it is running in German language) and my rF2 ingame settings (screenshot of the mirrored HMD).

I am using super sampling in Oculus tray tool in order to do anti aliasing so I switched it off in rF2 and I am using post processing in openXR with exposure set to 35, so I disabled it in rF2, too.

After all I was trying Sebring with weather set to "clear" at 2 p.m. ingame / track time and it is usable IMHO. A lot better than before (I will do VR screenshots, but I need to look up how to do this), so Bishop corner is bright and shiny, but one could see curb and also differences in track surface (I would assume it is like when it is sunny outside).

I hope this isn't just a coincidence.

edit: I changed some more options, but I think gamma correction is switched on by default and setting it to off will do the job

001.PNG 002.PNG 20220820133158_1.jpg

8. Marcwan

Marcwan Registered

Devin has stated on discord that pp off is not really off in rf2 (this conversation, for context, was about performance rather than graphics) so that will need to be considered here

9. I came across an older thread and read about this - the lowest value of pp parameter in config_dx11.ini is 1 and not 0. I am not sure if it is switched off completely (I think one of the devs could give info on that only or am I able to check it by myself in a way?).

I will have a look if it still persists being usable ... I hope so but had little time yesterday.

10. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Post FX should never be able to be turned off. At it's lowest setting it helps adapt exposure and it's tied to the lighting system for PBR in some way.

Florian Dubiel likes this.
  11. Marcwan

Marcwan Registered

In vr with open composite (open xr toolkit) pp can be used in their settings also.

12. Just as a reply to https://forum.studio-397.com/index....-candidate-now-live.72846/page-2#post-1110403 I would like to add with the current RC there is still too much brightness at Sebring; have checked Spa and Monza and they are looking ok.

Screenshots taken at Sebring, 2 p.m., clear weather

Interestingly the screenshots do not show the problem as it is - so I decided to modify the screenshots with GIMP as it can be seen inside of Oculus Rift S (did "colors", "exposure", "plus around 0.500"). The modified ones are with OE_ prefix.

OE_OpenComposite_rFactor2_20221018_121258_L.png OE_OpenComposite_rFactor2_20221018_121329_L.png OpenComposite_rFactor2_20221018_121258_L.png OpenComposite_rFactor2_20221018_121329_L.png

13. Alex Sawczuk

Alex Sawczuk Administrator Staff Member

that's not what i was seeing here, which car? the screenshots on the right handside are about what i saw with a rift s

14. The shots were taken from inside a Corvette C8R GTE 2020 (DLC) and track is Sebring 12h track layout (DLC) - the shots right hand side are not modified, but I am pretty sure that I am still seeing it like in the modified ones on the left side.

To be fair - I can change brightness with openXR, so I will give it a try this evening - also increasing saturation with openXR helps a lot.

Monza and Spa are ok.

Overall it has been a great improvement in comparison to the previous builds; I will also check with SteamVR (which might be used by people more often).

15. Nicolas Cortes

Nicolas Cortes Registered

You can use OpenComposite + Open XR Toolkit instead of SteamVR. This will give you more FPS and have a postprocess option where you can adjust exposure, brightness, ...

16. I already did so ;-)

17. Martin Vindis

Martin Vindis Registered

Is the loading screen flipped upside down fpr you too using OpenComposite? Not a major issue, just curious if it's fixable.

18. Yes it is - https://mbucchia.github.io/OpenXR-T...mage-andor-openxr-toolkit-menu-is-upside-down

Create an opencomposite.ini file in the folder of the game, and add the following line to it:
    invertUsingShaders=true
    Make sure that the file extension is .ini and not .ini.txt

Cannot look it up right now, but I think I have placed it in rfactor 2 main directory.

RalphMalph and Martin Vindis like this.