VR + monitor setup

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by ferdiaz, Feb 14, 2021.

1. ferdiaz

ferdiaz Registered

Hello people,

I am new here, so my apologies if this question has been asked already. I've done my best at trying to find a similar topic in the many internet forums, unfortunately to no avail.

I am in the process of setting up a sim racing rig, so that I can race mainly rFactor 2. In my ideal setup, I would like to have the GPU dedicated fully to rendering the content for my VR goggles (Pimax 8k+), while at the same time, having the motherboard graphics rendering the cockpit view of the car and showing this in a monitor.

My idea is to have friends over at home, and do some hotlap sessions together. That way, they can see (more or less) what I am seeing with the googles.

Also, by having this secondary output to a monitor, I can use it to navigate menus, etc.

So my question is... is this kind of setup achievable in rFactor 2? That is:
    - Main output: VR googles
    - Secondary output: motherboard graphics

Cheers

2. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

If you launch rF2 from within steam then use the graphics configuration app pic 1
    upload_2021-2-15_19-26-11.png

and make sure you have your graphics card selected and HMD+Mirror (pic 2)

upload_2021-2-15_19-28-10.png

Then press OK and start rF2 from steam again but this time select "Play rFactor 2" Tis should give you the VR and the monitor.

juanchioooo and ferdiaz like this.
  3. ferdiaz

ferdiaz Registered

That's exactly what I had in mind, thanks a lot!

One last little question: from what I see in the screenshot, both HMD and the mirror monitor are driven from the GTX 1070. Does the mirroring put additional strain/load on the GPU? That's the reason why I thought that maybe it'd be a good idea to drive the mirror monitor from the motherboard graphics instead... so that the GPU could focus exclusively in rendering the content of the HMD.

Again, thanks a lot for the answer!

Cheers!

JimmyT likes this.
  4. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

Simple answer "Yes" it does put extra load on GPU.
    Long answer, I have a pretty old PC (by some standards) using i5 6600 with the GTX1070 but I have my graphics turned up reasonably high and it seems to handle the Oculus and the mirror. I have the mirror windowed at 1600x900 as you can see in the screen shot, this has a couple of advantages 1. If there is some sort of issue in the background I can alt tab to it and fix it 2. It reduces the load on the GPU marginally.
    If you have a better system than the one I'm using you should have no trouble at all running the VR and the mirror.

As an afterthought, if you could use the onboard graphics as well, it would transfer a huge amount of work to the CPU which would most likely cause bottleneck. I don't think it would be an advantage. I may be wrong in this but I'm sure that if I am someone will put us straight. :)

ferdiaz likes this.
  5. ferdiaz

ferdiaz Registered

Thanks a lot for the answer, Jim.

I agree, that makes complete sense. After all, the image is already rendered... so that job is already done by the GPU.

I think I'll receive my computer in about 2-3 weeks (GPU global shortage is to blame for the long waiting time). I will then be able to test that and report my findings.

Thank you very much for the support! Much appreciated.