VR: fixed trackside cameras

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by Seven Smiles, Apr 27, 2018.

1. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

One of the lesser virtues of VR is "Virtual spectating" - standing at the side of the circuit watching the race. It's possible to do this already as the camera is fixed as the target car approaches so you can look around but when the camera pans at the same time as you turn your head to follow the action it breaks the immersion and gives me at least a lurch of motion sickness. For the ultimate realism I suppose you'd have one viewing point in the stands but as we can (it's a sim!) I would like to jump from viewing point to viewing point either automatically (a la TV view) or with a key press (there is view that does that already, I don't know what it's called or which key it is. The mouse then pans the view just as I'd like to do with my HMD).

I don't think this entails any change to the game software, it's just a different set of cams when building a circuit.

Adrianstealth likes this.
  2. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

3. Emery

Emery Registered

Can't you just select freecam mode from current camera? Pretty certain you can already jump from camera to camera, too.

4. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

Yes, Freecam is halfway there but the camera needs to track your head movement. I find that the cameras are not in order either, I can follow the action for a couple of jumps but then end up looking at an empty bit of track, having to jump several times to find the cars again.

It's a wish and one I don't really expect to be fulfilled: S397 to add a new class of cam and then for track makers to use it. The latter should be a community effort by VR users that want it. That may be just me!