VR color seems washed out

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mogwai, Jul 23, 2019.

1. mogwai

mogwai Registered

I'm pretty new around these parts and did some searching around here in the forums and google to find some thoughts on how to fix what appear to be washed out colors when racing in VR.

While the car colors looks fantastic and when I'm in the car, car details and paint look really nice, when driving around Silverstone or Le Mans, the track surface, curbs, event details and such look pretty bland. Almost as if I have saturation (i think that's it) turned down.

To be honest, I don't have much to compare it to so maybe that's how rF2 is, but I suspect either I have messed something up in a setting or there are things I can do to improve it.

Anyone have any thoughts, suggestions, comments, or witty retorts?

2. MarcG

MarcG Registered

What HMD do you have? I use the Rift CV1 and colours look just fine to me.

3. mogwai

mogwai Registered

Using the CV1 as well. It may be my point of reference (iRacing), where the colours in VR seem more vibrant...so I'm assuming it is an issue on my end with rF2.

Is it possible that this is related to DX11? Some comments seem to indicate that DX11 was an improvement but I am pretty sure I'm running DX11 in iRacing so I'm assuming I am also in rF2...but maybe that's one thing?

4. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

lol, in the good ol days, a more vibrant environment meant cartoonish. Bring back 32 colors!!!

mogwai likes this.
  5. mogwai

mogwai Registered

:) Could be I've got a bad frame of reference to be honest, being old and such :)

6. stonec

stonec Registered

Nvidia has a famous "bug" where full RGB spectrum isn't delivered over HDMI sometimes unless it's specifically set in Nvidia control panel. But with a VR headset I suppose you use the DisplayPort connector and I think there is no such issue over DP. So yeah, I would say subjective frame of reference. Also, the time of day set in the game can make a big difference in how vibrant a track looks.

mogwai likes this.
  7. mogwai

mogwai Registered

Thanks! Didn't know that issue existed but the cv1 uses hdmi so I wonder if that could be the culprit. The only thing that makes me think maybe that isn't it is that the cars look really nice. Regardless, I'll dig around in the nvidia control panel and see if there's something i may have messed up there.

However, because of the comments here, I'm beginning to suspect it is simply what I'm expecting or what I'm used to, instead of a setting I have messed up. I'll get back in over the weekend and try a couple things but I appreciate all the feedback. I'm still new to rF2 so have a lot to learn and figure out.