Voucher system

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Saabjock, Dec 28, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

How difficult would it be for Studio 397 in conjunction with STEAM to implement a credit voucher system on already purchased items?
    It has happened more than once, wherein I wanted a particular car or track but it is bundled with something I had already purchased.
    An good example was my purchase yesterday of the Formula Pro pack.
    I wanted Spa and Monza but I had already purchased the Nurburgring on it's release.
    Why not offer a set percentage voucher towards the next DLC?
    Steam already has a listing of what is in your inventory and what you've purchased previously.
    It would also represent more in sales to the studio, simply because not everyone in my situation would have gone ahead with the purchase.

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

S397 have said they've raised this with steam. Bearing in mind this appears to be a limitation with the system they went with, on the advice of steam in the first place.

3. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Usually the price of the package deal is set low enough to counter a duplicate purchase. But you are not the first to raise this issue. Happens almost everytime there is a big sale on Steam.

4. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

They're three tracks in that DLC.
    Do a cost average but offer a 30% versus 33.3% percentage voucher toward future DLC.
    They'd still be ahead of the game by a 3.3+ percent saving and would almost certainly be guaranteed the sale of future DLC.
    As it stands right now... and with human nature being what it is, the average person will feel like they're double paying for duplicate items.
    Most will simply walk away without purchasing anything when that happens.
    That represents a lost opportunity to sell content.
    With the voucher system S397 wouldn't really be taking a hit, since the voucher doesn't come into play until new items are created for sale.
    A win-win for all involved.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2022
  5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Saabjock You don't need to explain the principle - we all get it, and as mentioned above this gets raised very often.

The issue seems to be that the inventory system in steam doesn't allow it. S397 can't fix that themselves, and Steam apparently isn't rushing to provide support when they have an alternative DLC system that does. Unfortunately back when the steam integration happened this method was chosen, and reportedly steam was involved in choosing it.

So while it would certainly be nice to have, it's not going to happen at this point. It may not help sales, but there are many items on that list with rF2 so let's just hope next year brings some progress.