Volvo300 (WIP)

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by jtbo, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Eero Forsblom

Eero Forsblom Registered

I still think that there has to be a bug at the steering ratio. Are you sure that the volvo hondbook value 20.3deg is the total radius? 40.6 would be something that fits perfectly to passenger cars of that era, and volvo usually has pretty ridiculous steering angles, that's why it is loads of fun at winter.

And compared to that video.. I have to turn way more to turn the car, even while going flat-out @ 900deg. I changed the ratio to 40.6 and it felt better and was still slower than racecars.

The mazda had 15.2:1 ratio and 2.7 turns lock to lock. And I've never had a car that had as little lock.

1 person likes this.
  2. jtbo

jtbo Registered

If you set 40.6 degrees lock and use it with 900 degrees wheel, you will have a lot faster ratio than car should have, you just can't get full lock with only 900 degrees turning wheel, or then you get imaginary quick steering rack option.

There are various reasons why you need to turn more, going faster into turns for example, entering at different lines etc. Which is very easy thing to do.

If you would have wheel that turns 1584 degrees, then you could use maximum lock that is 4.4 * 360 / 21.8 / 2 (to get rF lock that is for one direction only!) that makes 36.33 degrees with 1584 degrees of wheel rotation, not so with 900, you loose steering ratio of 21.8:1 if you put bigger lock and steering is no longer realistic.

With optional power steering (bit rare really), you would get faster steering as that is 3.1 turns lock to lock which is 1116 degrees, still you would not get full lock, but it is bit less annoying.

Yes, car's slow steering is very annoying and if you don't let car to do countersteering, it is hopeless to catch slides with it.

Three annoying things when on track with the car, slow steering, insane understeering (standard model, cup cars have this fixed by adding lot of camber to front), then seat, very difficult to stay on seat and also me being tiny person I hit my head to roof constantly with helmet and I had to tilt seat bit back to even fit there with the helmet on.

So I find it very good that you find steering annoyingly slow and unbelievable slow, that is how it really is :)

edit: I need to check rules of race serie if it would allow power steering to be used, that might make a nice upgrade if allowed. Naturally street version of the car will feature that one as I hopefully can make every upgrade there has been and what has been made by enthusiasts to these cars.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  3. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Christmas surprise!

Use 900 degrees steering for maximum lock, if you use less steering, lower the lock to keep steering ratio same to have somewhat realistic experience, real car actually has same 2.5 turns lock to lock as G25 has, so with this I get full lock to use.
    http://jtbo.pp.fi/tiedostot/rfactor/343RC.zip

It probably has many bugs still, works only in dev mode, you put it in volvo300\RHD and indeed you need dev mode release version as this just adds one car to that.
    Engine is bit buggy, it refuses to die properly, also car really should have stroked 1.4l turbo motor, but I had no time to build one yet, so it has similar power level 2.8l 16 valve EVO motor.
    Differential might be bit tall too, some other issues as well.

Dampers are set quite soft, feel free to adjust, use small changes.

Championship winner used 2nd gear to get going, never 1st gear, power is 4000-7000rpm, but it does have lot of power over 8000rpm too.

This car is made to handle jumps well, lot of suspension travel, quite soft suspension, also it is really meant to be driven sideways on gravel, but it does handle tarmac too.

I made FFB bit stronger as car really has same steering components just bit modified, so it should have heavier steering, but maybe I overdid it as I can't use more than 0.4ffb multiplier to prevent clipping, but see how it is for you.

Car is based to this, some day should be fairly close and realistic one too, but for now it is very early WIP, just needed something for rally cross mod and thought that some of you might like from version with bit more driftable physics.
    http://www.elisanet.fi/mtn/images/autot/volvo-misc/300srj/343TurboRC_s1.jpg
    http://www.elisanet.fi/mtn/images/autot/volvo-misc/300srj/343TurboRC_s2.jpg
    http://www.elisanet.fi/mtn/images/autot/volvo-misc/300srj/343TurboRC_s3.jpg

Some day I want to make this car, it has EVO motor, also this one has 4wd system, but when I happen to get time for such http://www.pukema.com/lehdet/343_4wd.jpg

4. ProTraX

ProTraX Registered

Heyho.
    First, thanks alot!
    The second thing is, i cant get it to work. I installed it as you said but it doesnt appear...
    Any idea why?

5. jtbo

jtbo Registered

At the moment, no idea, but after I have eaten, I check that I have not forgotten some files.

6. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Ok, it appears that from some reason I had forgotten HDV from the package, normal for my faulty memory, download again and this time perhaps I have not missed anything :)

7. ProTraX

ProTraX Registered

Thanks, i was now able to find it. There is still a problem...
    I start a race and it stucks at around 75%. I went to Desktop and see this message: [​IMG]

I clicked ok and went back to rF2. It loaded correctly now and i was able to drive. But, i wasnt able to see the car when i used the cockpitview. When i used the bumper cam i saw this strange alien thingy:
    [​IMG]

I hope these screenshots help you to find the issue.

Regards

8. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Gah, totally forgot that I had edited that upgrades.ini, I fix new package, seems that today nothing works, but then again it has been so few years *bangs head to wall* ;)

9. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Ok, maybe this time it works, uploaded it again, can't understand how despite checking many times I still manage to miss all those things.

Also found out another bug while at it.

So hopefully it now works, thx from testing :)

10. ProTraX

ProTraX Registered

Thanks again :D
    Now i can see the car in the little race monitor. But when i click race, rF2 closes and i get an "rFactor 2 has stopped working" Error :D
    Apocalypse may come today xD

11. jtbo

jtbo Registered

I feel Apocalypse did happen even I though not, it must have taken away all my ability with rf2 file structures :-O

Need to test thoroughly whole thing then, by putting that last uploaded version in only, well should not take too long until I can fix it, whatever it is that I don't see this time :p

12. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Nope, works fine here.

Can't think much else than delete volvo300 folder, extract Volvo300 folder to moddev vehicles from 0.21 dev mode version archive. After that extract everything from 343RC archive to mod dev\ vehicles\ volvo300\ RHD folder.

That is how I did and works for me.

Remember to make backups before you remove any files though, especially if you have your own edits.

13. ProTraX

ProTraX Registered

Thank you again :D
    It worked this time.
    It feels very good and the difflock works as it should.
    I'll test it over the weekend again.
    Thanks and merry christmas to you :)

1 person likes this.
  14. Twista

Twista Registered

This car is super fun to drive! Keep up the awesome work. :)

15. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

please help me b/c i am dumb. i copied files to C:\Users\Kevin\Documents\rFactor2c\ModDev\Vehicles\volvo300\RHD and then go into dev mod but car is not there and only have two rtrainers. ideas? Thanks.

16. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Did you also take original cup car? Extract this one directly to moddev folder:
    http://jtbo.pp.fi/tiedostot/rfactor/Volvo300_0.21_rf2_dev.zip

You need above one and then this one below adds rally cross car to selection as this is currently WIP preview alpha addition or something along those terms :) :
    http://jtbo.pp.fi/tiedostot/rfactor/343RC.zip

With those two you should have 11 volvos to choose from, when you select volvo300 series.

17. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

excellent jtbo. very nice indeed. many thanks for your efforts and looking forward to watching this one develop. going to be a classic i expect! great car!

18. Twista

Twista Registered

I just noticed that there doesn't seem to be any tyre deformation?

19. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Yep, none of any graphical kind. Reason for that is from my understanding that wheels and tires are single object, also that wheels itself are bit of mockup and are not full 3D model of the wheels might have something to do with it.

However fear not, new model is under development by wgeuze and with new model there will be all the bells and whistles you can think of, well, at some point at least I hope, animations for example might take quite some time and depending who has time and when, schedule is very difficult to put up, but in the future anyway :)

20. Twista

Twista Registered

Oh that's awesome. I stupidly assumed that it must be a bug of some kind seeing as you're using the same tyre properties as the Skippy.

I'm really enjoying driving it regardless, it's so much fun to throw around! If you ever need help creating skins, I might be able to help out :)