Visual & Sound clues for Locking a tire

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by MarcG, Dec 30, 2016.

1. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Whilst watching my beloved Virgin Australia (V8)Supercars final round the other week Neil Crompton (former driver now commentator) mentioned something I've seen wished here for before, a Light on the dash to alert drivers as to when they lock a tire. He then went on to mention that some drivers have a "horn" in their ear, now obviously it's not a real horn but a buzzer sound instead of or alongside the Light which I'd never heard about before.
    I thought "that'd be cool to have" but then with Sims we sometimes have the tire scrub sounds unrealistically high* anyway so there's no need, but from a pure "make it as real as possible" perception a Light/Sound would be a cool little (extremely low priority!) addition to the game. :)

* Just for clarity I contacted a mate who races historic cars and he confirmed that in certain situations you can't always hear a tire lock up, for example in Wet conditions or when you're racing hard against a V8 opponent the engine/wind/other noises drown out the slightest of lock ups.

2. jerrymcc

jerrymcc Registered

In the free trackmap plugin addon, there is a window that shows whether any specific tire is sliding or locking up. It's useful for watching the front tires going into corners or rear tires coming off a corner. A little hard to watch it and drive though, lol.

MarcG likes this.
  3. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

Interesting, makes me like V8s even less, i imagine it would use ABS sensor or something of that sort to determine when its locking up. Some series also have dashboard lights for when the TC is kicking in, or even series of lights to tell you how much is the TC kicking in, this feature rF2 does not have tho.
    As Jerry mentioned TrackMap does have "slides/grips" tire indicator in its features if you insist on it, but as you mentioned, rF2 has largerly exagerated tire volum to compensate for lack of brake pedal feel and many other sences we dont get in sim

4. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

DTM has had it for years, WTCC has it as well :)

As far as I know, they test the vehicle speed with the tire speed. When the difference is too great, the lights will light up.

5. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

Well one never stops learning.. I dont like that such thing exists tho

MarcG likes this.
  6. Flaux

Flaux Registered

Would be better to have a light/buzzer before you lock up. Not after/while you locked up. :rolleyes:

When I lock up in rf2 I usually know it immediatly...

7. MarcG

MarcG Registered

That would be impossible though as the light/buzzer would be permanently on ;)

Flaux likes this.
  8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Having for some years used a shift-point beep plugin (F1 style, for an F1 mod, to placate the purists!) and struggled to shift consistently without it when testing a new mod version etc, I can only say that relying on such tools can make you very lazy :p

Flaux likes this.
  9. Davvid

Davvid Registered

Is it public plugin? I used such tool in iRacing F1 cars but never found equivalent for rF2.

10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Not at this stage, no. It does DRS beeps as well, which I should probably release. Cars with DRS are modern and beeps are ok for it. Shift-beeps I'd like to be able to contain to some mods or types of mods, otherwise people complain when people are using it for 60s mods etc...

11. Davvid

Davvid Registered

Oh come on, don't make me beg :) We have already all sorts of aid plugins: Trackmap with grip, Cursoradar with... radar, Deltabar with progress, HeadTilt with free camera. That would be tiny tiny help among those ;-) And in F1 they had shift tones way before DRS era.

12. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I've seen a video today of a motec display with the brake lock indicator (red), plus a wheel spin indicator (yellow) on a Supercars display. That'd be cool to have.

13. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

I am pro aids as a learning tool. However, in a race I think the driver should only have fuel, rpm, speed and engine/tire/brake temps.

14. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

some cars just got more info in real life, watch a C7 onboard

jayarrbee36 and Juergen-BY like this.
  15. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Many race series have all the gizmos now in the car on the motec display or otherwise, hence it would be good in a racing simulation to have them in the appropriate race/sim car.

jayarrbee36 and Juergen-BY like this.
  16. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

I now many things are available today. I just don't like them. I think that, while it is good to have these things for the ones who want to use them, it should be possible to decide what information is available for the drivers competing in a specific championship. More or less like TC, ABS or any other aid.

stonec likes this.
  17. MarcG

MarcG Registered