Visual settings in controls menu. Really only visual ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mantasisg, Dec 2, 2018.

1. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Hi, I decided to open whole new thread focused on visual cues settings. There is one thing with them - are they really only visual ? I suspect that they has physical effect on FFB too, but perhaps there is just some crazy tricks happening in my head.

There are few reasons why it seems so to me. First I used to have really weird FFB for some time, and I had really high and positive exaggerated yaw setting. I remember FFB felt like if it was getting inverted sometimes. I started decreasing exaggerated yaw and it seemed better then, now I have it on -5.

Now yesterday I was driving and felt like something is not totally right with FFB, like if it is not clear enough, or is a bit masked or something. I looked at FFB settings and everything kinda looks right, just head movement was on 40. I decreased it to 10 and suddenly FFB seems more clear, better cornering feel, less bumping with flatspotted unbalanced wheels.

I wonder if it is just some kind of placebo and/or mind trickery, or visual cues actually does alter FFB too.

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

We should be safe in assuming it doesn't affect FFB, the whole physics engine is built to work consistently and rF2 has FFB that simply does what it does with no extra processing going on, so I'm sure visual settings wouldn't somehow leak into what happens either with the physics or the resulting FFB - and I don't see why they'd aim to do it, either.

As far as visuals go, that's where you get your feel for what the car is doing, unless you have some sort of motion rig to help with that. So any setting that alters how your view moves will you give a different feel. When I was experimenting with exaggerate yaw and lookahead I definitely found some sweet spots (settings) that made everything feel smoother, and I'm sure it was just a case of what I was seeing helping give me cues on where I was and that meant I wasn't overreacting with the wheel.

I've now gone from a single screen, and I'd reverted to quite a static view which has generally been my preference, to now having triples with decent enough quality and speed to keep me happy. And it's encouraging me to do more laps because it's more engrossing and fun, so that's probably helping, but I'm finding I seem to let the wheel FFB dictate what I do a bit more, I let it steer itself into slides more where before I was probably choking the wheel and reacting too late. I think a lot of that is that with the triple screens I can pick up the extra side movement earlier, and/or I'm more comfortable with which way I'm pointing and headed because I can look over and see the corner exit, so it's changing the way driving is feeling without actually changing any FFB settings or my wheel.

So yeah, I think it's just the effect your visuals have on your 'feel', that you might perceive as different FFB.

3. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Perhaps you are right. Visual cues are indeed very big factor to perceive the movement. I have done some specific tests now, maybe it could be true that with big yaw exaggeration it can seem that steering mechanics are a bit different. Car feels more floaty, less connected and it is harder to understand yaw rotation, though in some cases I felt more confidence.

With head movement it is a bit harder to tell whats going on. I was causing severe flatspots on purpose to see how it will feel. I don't know if I just somehow made lesser flatspots with low head movement settings, but it seems like flatspots bumping is softer with no head movement. But maybe flatspots were different.