Virtual Testing - Rolling Road Dyno, Geometry, Corner Load, Proving Ground, Wind Tunnel, Brake Dyno

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by Chabba Ranks, Oct 14, 2020.

1. Chabba Ranks

Chabba Ranks Registered

I think rf2 is just a stunning piece of software to both drive and mod for. What this sim is missing to me, is a sense that you can actually verify and validate your vehicle and establish all the numbers you painstakingly input, firstly are actually doing something at all, and secondly doing what you intend them to.

1. Rolling Road Dyno - A rolling road setup where you could virtually take your vehicle to see what performance is at the wheels, corrected for losses.

2. K&C Rig - Establish plots of how the final car moves under roll, pitch and yaw.

3. Geometry Checks - Provide a means for easily visualising and measuring all the critical geometry to sanity check against what is put into physics file. Sometimes, it can be hard to debug basic geometry errors. Also, good to know if you are picking up a new mod to ensure the physics has been done properly.

4. Corner Loads/Weights - Visual representation of how car moves on setup platform during setup changes.

5. Proving Ground - A dedicated proving ground such as MIRA or Millbrook, with telemetry to guide car development in a particular direction. Drag strip, skid pan, high speed oval etc. but with a focus on car development.

6. Wind Tunnel - A little further in future, it would be good for the bodywork shapes to be put into a CFD type wind tunnel to establish real aero loads.

7. Brake Dyno Rollers - Again quite advanced but it would be good to sanity check braking performance independently of the physics files, taking into account friction losses, temps and tyres etc.

Thanks for building a great simulation tool.

Jason PLAdoh and davehenrie like this.
  2. Emery

Emery Registered

Download for skid pad, straight line track, & autocross area. Don't expect any updates as the author hasn't been seen since 2016.
    https://forum.studio-397.com/index....-straight-line-track.48363/page-2#post-805557

MOTEC Telemetry by Lazza: https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/damplugin-for-rf2.49363/

Chabba Ranks likes this.
  3. Chabba Ranks

Chabba Ranks Registered

Thanks for the reply Emery, I have not come across that SkidPad before. I would like to see the ability for end user to set-up timing points, microphones, high-speed cameras, thermal cameras and speed trap sections themselves, built into the track rather than the cars, again, this is about validation for purpose of car development.

Also, it would be good to pull into a station in the pits on trackday and get corner weights, triple tyre temps etc. read from equipment built into the track rather than have to escape into the monitor.