virtual mirrors not working

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by ling, Feb 5, 2023.

1. ling

ling Registered

virtual mirrors not working just black screen and a c showing on car mirror all other cars work Screenshot.jpg

2. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

3. ling

ling Registered

hi yes its something wrong with the mod (i have just converted) if i use another car the mirrors work and if i use another car and switch to ai control and cycle thought to this car in the race they then show up its like i have disabled some thing in the mod that alloweds the mirrors to turn on.
    thanks

4. ling

ling Registered

just checked again and i think the car mirror is working when i use track side cameras Screenshot (24).jpg

5. ling

ling Registered

i think its just not working in cockpit view

6. svictor

svictor Registered

Two things to check:
    1. make sure material name is MIRROR , and shader is No lighting Tex1
    2. make sure to set Render Target to True in material setting

Note: there are usually two copies of mirror.GMT reference in GEN file; one that included in Instance=Cockpit section, which only visible from Cockpit; the other one that usually placed in Instance=mirrors section, which only visible from external view.

Make sure to properly set material setting for all GMT files that have MIRROR materials.
    For example, sometimes you may have multiple GMT files that all contains the same material (such as MIRROR), but if only change material setting in one of the GMT file while other files has the old material setting, then there is a chance that old material setting from those files will override the other correct file, and result wrong rendering in game.

upload_2023-2-6_11-28-46.png

Also a good practice is to use skipbarber as reference, using it to compare the difference, which is easier to find the issue.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2023
  7. Brent

Brent Registered

Do what svictor has mentioned. If the mirrors are not setup properly you won't get a virtual mirror.

For reference to make mirrors adjustable from the cockpit the instances/gmts in the Instance=Cockpit section need to be named like this:
    lmirror_in.gmt - left mirror
    cmirror_in.gmt - center mirror
    rmirror_in.gmt - right mirror

Following the skipbarber you can name each of them like this for your mod mymod_lmirror_in.gmt

8. ling

ling Registered

Screenshot (29).jpg that did it i copied the files over from the skipbarber car and edited the gen file and it works now thanks for your help.
    just got to get the lights working and fix the bobble head
    thanks

9. redapg

redapg Registered

I would recommend to not to put "real" working Mirrors into the external View.
    It's not needed there and only "eats" Resources. ;)
    Put them into the Cockpit Instance only, split them into 3 Parts, if the Car has a left, center and right Mirror and give them Names like
    whatever_lmirror_in
    whatever_cmirror_in
    whatever_rmirror_in
    to get them being independently adjustable.
    And the important Part is the Part behind of "whatever".

And for the Outside Mirrors, we (Slow Motion Modding Group) usually make a Copy of the 3 Cockpit Mirrors, weld them to 1 Object and give them a CubeMap T1 Material with a dark Texture, live Mapper and 100%Cube Map Blend.
    In that Way you get a fake Mirror, because it works like a full Chrome Object.
    And that you can put into an Instance that is not the main (Instance=SLOT<ID>) and not the Cockpit Instance.

10. ling

ling Registered

i dont know how to do all that (i wish i did) but this is only my second mod and its only a conversion from rf1 but it is working now so thanks for all the help. Screenshot (29).jpg