VIDEO: rFactor 2 Dedicated Server Tutorial

Discussion in 'Hosting Help' started by Davy Jones, Oct 19, 2020.

1. Davy Jones

Davy Jones Registered

Don't worry about it. Are you a friend of Peter from gtr24h.org? When I tried searching for "Sonderso" I think his name came up.
    Can you try sharing links to the car(s) and track(s) you want to create a server for and I will see if I can get a package working

2. Davy Jones

Davy Jones Registered

I'm getting a copy of the Kart cup package using the following command. If you can try sending me a copy of the track I can check if it can be used to create a server with.
    steamcmd.exe +login USERNAME PASSWORD +workshop_download_item 365960 922034231 +quit

3. Normark

Normark Registered

It´s an 10 year ugly RF1 track, but I would like to see if I can host it, also because I´m stated modding a new track with all the new materials etc. ind the newly mod update and the 3D max 2021 tools. But I would like to have a way of launching a server, I have always had problems about that in RF2. I modded a lot of danish karttracks for Rf1 about 10 years ago, and it was much easyer to host a race at that times.

Can I in some way send you a copy of the old ugly tack, it is about 22 MB?

4. Davy Jones

Davy Jones Registered

Sure send me a direct message here with a Google or Dropbox link etc

5. Davy Jones

Davy Jones Registered

Ok so I've tested both the Kart Cup 2014 and your track several times.
    If I run them in rF2 single player they run just fine.
    If I try and create a server package using them the server will crash.
    If I try and create a server with Gokartfyn and any other random car it seems to start ok.
    If I try to create a server with Kart Cup 2014 and any other random track it seems to be ok, not all of them but it does work for some.
    There is something about both Kart Cup 2014 and Gokartfyn that will crash the server when they are packaged together - I cannot figure out what that is.
    I will try one last thing of a fresh server install with only these content items to see if that helps but I don't think it will make a difference. A bit of a mystery this one it seems.... :(

6. Davy Jones

Davy Jones Registered

Nevermind - I think I got it to work now by reinstalling the dedicated server. Only thing is now rF2 is crasing... :)

7. Normark

Normark Registered

Hej Davy
    Thanks a lot for all your effort, a lot of time you put into this, I realy apreciate it.
    It´s strange these problems occur, and strange both the track and the kartmod works but not together.
    I will try to see if I can find any reasons for this problem.

8. Normark

Normark Registered

Holy shit, if we haven´t got greyhared yet, this will do the trick.

9. Normark

Normark Registered

I just launched the track with another kartmod (250cc shifter) and I can join the server and no problems, strange.

But if others can join the server that tells me that portforwarding etc. is correct.

10. Davy Jones

Davy Jones Registered

True. Okay so I got a server up and then since I had marked your server earlier as a Favourite it appeared as "Denmark(1)" with Gokartfyn in the server list and I joined and it began to download the "rF2r_Superkart" content for me - I am assuming that is your server?

If not here is what I suggest you try.
    1. Reinstall the dedicated server for example following the instructions in the video.
    2. Install some basic content like Lime Rock Park and one car - like I show in the video.
    3. Use that content to setup a server and leave all settings at default.
    4. Then into the /Installed directory in the server copy over Gokartfyn and Kart cup_2014
    5. Then create a server package using those and if when starting a server it does not crash it should work.

I was in the process of removing both Gokartfyn and Kart cup_2014 from my copy of the game to join the server and see if all settings on default would correctly serve the content until I clicked to join the server above so I'm waiting for that to complete first.

Right now there should be a server in the list under "Davy Jones" which is offering Gokartfyn and Kart cup_2014 - I hope...

11. Davy Jones

Davy Jones Registered

So this is you then I guess ;)

[​IMG]

12. Normark

Normark Registered

13. Davy Jones

Davy Jones Registered

Ah ok now I see the issue.
    To join the server the player will need to have Gokartfyn and Kart cup_2014 already installed in their copy of rF2.
    However when joining the server it crashes which is why you get the network error.
    So there is some issue with Gokartfyn and Kart cup_2014 when used together.
    So just use Gokartfyn with F2r_Superkart instead and your server seems to be okay I guess?
    So problem solved... sort of ;) :rolleyes: o_O

14. Normark

Normark Registered

Yes, server started and joined without any problems, dont know why the track and kartcup 2014 gives problems.
    Kartcup 2014 is original 397 or ISI content as far as I know.

15. Davy Jones

Davy Jones Registered

probably needs to be updated or something... being from "2014" maybe isn't helping

16. Normark

Normark Registered

Now I can investigate, I suspected my bad knowing about portforwarding to be the problem.
    It´s always difficult to have somone outside to test testjoin a server, thanks for help. :)

17. Davy Jones

Davy Jones Registered

nice circuit - do those karts really have 6 gears? absolute rockets!!

18. Normark

Normark Registered

It´s only the track I have made.
    Yes the karts are extremely fast, they normaly run on the big racetracks and have topspeed around 230 km/t

19. Normark

Normark Registered

I´m working on a new track with all the new materials, realroad etc. :)

Davy Jones likes this.
  20. trichens

trichens Registered

Many thanks for this Davy.
    I'd been trying on and off to get a server working using some hardware I salvaged from work before it went off for recycling. Got everything installed and working but for soem reason the graphics were dire. Anyway followed the first part of your video and all is working OK and I can get the server listed and connect to it. Planning on doing some further testing over the weekend now that COVID lockdown will be with us again.
    Hardware should be up to the task - Dell R610 server with dual Xeon E5620 2.4GHz processors, 2Tb disk space, 96Gb DRAM and Windows 10 Pro. I also have another indentical R610 and a pair of R410 servers too.

My main problem is going to be broadband speed. Download is OK at a slow 12Mb to 18Mb, but upload is painfully speed at around 3Mb. I'm hoping that we'll be able to upgrade to a full fibre service when local independant teleco starts supplying the area. They offer 400Mb down and 35Mb upload.

Does anyone have any advice on what the broadband requirements are to successfully host multiple rF2 clients?