Video Card

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by aldrew, Oct 3, 2014.

1. coops

coops Banned

2. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

3. Timpie Claessens

Timpie Claessens Registered

You should try Shadows High and shadows blur optimal or quality coops, it should give an improvement over shadows on Max and it looks quite alot better with the blurring.
    Even the shadows on max look way too aliased to not use blurring IMHO.

4. felirrari

felirrari Registered

Can someone help with Catalyst and In-Game settings for rFactor 2? I have a XFX Radeon 7850 Core Edition and i feel i can have a better performance there.

5. BlaringFiddle5

BlaringFiddle5 Registered

i also have an nvidia gtx 680 ... i run triples - after a lot of tweaking i have some decent visuals with ~90 fps. I would not buy anything less than the latest generation of cards. If you can't afford latest generation - save until you can. It makes no sense to drop money on old video card tech. I'm prepping for a jump to gtx 980 presently.

edit: the tweaking I did was to turn texture filtering and AA to the lowest setting / off in game then turn them on in the nvidia control panel (4x AA + 8x AF) specifically for rfactor2 ... combined that with setting max pre-rendered frames to 1 and i had some nice visuals with some decent performance. I was even able to turn on HDR with multi view ! :D

6. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

lol Tim

Which is all I said in discussion with Ari.

He made a molehill out of this single comment
    hehehe

No I was not implying HD monitors or triple screens or 120Hz refresh rate is silly lol .......... or that coops or his shadow settings are silly.

But I agree with your recommendation, imho when your performance level is on the "cusp" high shadows offer performance and no visual impact worthy of note.

That is what I tried to say in other post that sometimes all of us can push settings and not see the impact clearly.

That is all :)

My other recommendation is to drop 16x to 8x

Good little gain for no visual impact I you can see on my ...............
    ............anyway Ari. lol ;)

7. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Hi there, felirrari. While the 7850 is basically a 6950 and therefore almost 4 generations old (69xx, 79xx, 290x, 390x [soon]), let's see what we can do :).

First of all, what are your in-game graphics settings and your CCC graphics settings currently set to? Also, what monitor do you have? Finally, what sort of framerates are you getting at the moment?...

As a general rule of thumb, I would set the folllwing:
    RFactor 2 config window
    - Anti-aliasing "none"

In-game
    - shadows "medium"
    - anisotropic filtering "8x"
    - shadow blur to 1 click away from "off", it's the second lowest quality of the 4
    - opponent detail "medium"
    - circuit detail "medium" (then try "high", it's nice to have more trackside objects give more life to the track, and possibly more reference markers around the track, but start at "medium")
    - visible vehicles set to, hmmm..."12"? "16"?

In CCC
    - Put everything to default (should be a "default" button)
    - set AA sample amount/count to "4x" (not 4xQ, 4xHQ, 4x this, or 4x that, just simply "4x")
    - set AA to "override application settings" (not enhance, not application controlled)

In rFactor 2 player file
    - set garage detail LOD (or something like that) to "0.2", aI believe the default is "0.6". Lowering this makes a massive difference in rF1, GSC, FT, GT Legends, etc. etc. When you're on track flying down the main-straight (or wherever else the pitlane/garages may be) you may notice a drop of framerate. Lowering this number basically lowers the detail of all the cars in the garages/pitlane that - for the most part - you can hardly see anyways. I haven't tested it in rF2, but it brings on a large improvement in all other ISI engine-based game. If you notice cars looking weird in the pits, missing body panels, etc. then raise it slightly in small increments, for eg. 0.01 at a time.
    - set the smoothing option (darn, I always forget what this is called as well) to "0", I believe the default is "5". This will blur some further away textures, but should really help with aliasing and "crawling", most people much, much prefer the overall image quality of this setting at "0".

RadeonPro
    If you download or have RadeonPro, then make a profile for rF2 - for now - don't touch any of the settings except "Flip Queue Size". Set it to "1". This should increase your framerate in rF2, not to mention lower input lag. In fact, regardless of the possible increase in framerate, you should have this set to "1" for all your racing sims due to the fact that it lowers input lag. This "Flip Queue Size" setting is what Nvidia calls "Pre-Rendered Frames".

Can you let me know how all that works out, and then we can go from there?...

8. felirrari

felirrari Registered

Thanks for the reply, Spinelli. Lets see what we have here. I didnt change anything on CCC, so it was default. I have a Samsung TA550 26 inches. Is there a way to see the average FPS? With my settings, I reach ~70 fps.
    Then set this way you sent me, downloaded RadeonPro too. Those options are Garage Detail and Auto Line Smoothing (?). I had to choose Full Opponent Details when I use medium, because all other skins became striped but those skins are from a championship. When I turn it to Full, some cars still messed. I must check where is the problem. I gained some fps maybe 25-35. And how about FFAA, HDR and those sync mods on rfconfig (none, software, gpu...)? I think now we can improve more the graphics, specially the anti-aliasing, the track is too sharpened.

9. felirrari

felirrari Registered

10. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

No, not auto-line smoothing. Do not touch that. Sorry, it's called "texture sharpening" set it to "0" (default is "5"). This should really help get rid of the over-sharpened look :).

Yes, use HDR.

Do not use FXAA for now, we will use that only as a last resort.

I'm not sure what the problem with the skins are. Try deleting every single file in your rFactor 2 "CBash" and "shaders" folder.

Also, if you messed up a bunch of settings in your player.json file, you can just delete it or move it, and a new one with default settings will automatically be created.

Press Ctrl-F while on the track to view your framerate.

The sync options will make the motion on screen look nice and fluid and also avoid screen-tearing, however, those sync options add noticeable input-lag, so I advise you to set the sync options to "none".

11. felirrari

felirrari Registered

12. felirrari

felirrari Registered

Well, now looks like the textures are ok, the Opponent Details must be full. So we can continue.

13. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Ok did you set texture sharpening to 0? Do that in your player.json file and then save it.

How are your framerates now?

14. felirrari

felirrari Registered

Yes I did it. FPS is 70-90.

15. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Ok...Did you set 4xAA in CCC and "none" in rf2 config screen? Do you still feel like you want more AA? Try 8X multizampling if you do.

For the best image quality, though, set CCC to supersampling instead of multisampling, and then try it with 2x AA in CCC.

If the supersampling lowers your framerates too much then go back to regular multisampling 4x or 8x in CCC and also enable FXAA in the rF2 config window.

16. felirrari

felirrari Registered

Man, the game now is amazing! Thank you so much. It's beautiful and smooth as I wanted. Please keep helping this community and for those who are not satisfied with the graphics, try these tips. It makes the game too much better. Now I'll try to help my teammates to improve it too. Thanks Spinelli!

EDIT: Supersampling turn it better, but as you said, it lowers FPS too much. Now I'm using multisampling 4x, HDR and FXAA.

17. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

:) no problem, try 2x supersampling if you haven't, it is even better than 8x multisampling. Also, change texture sharpening in your player.json file (notepad file) to 0 (Don't forget to save it).

Glad we could help, let us know if you have any further questions :)