Very disappointed, even for a Beta.......

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Navigator, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Gridgirl

Gridgirl Registered

You're right ... but this can easy be solved be simple patch to use all the installed ram:)

2. Cygnific

Cygnific Registered

Are you using Windows XP? If so try to install Windows 7 (or the Windows 8 beta which is free to use) 64bit in dual boot? You can use the full 4gb then without problems. You can also try older graphic card drivers.

3. Duvel

Duvel Registered

Really, you think he should install the early beta of Windows 8? What possible reason could you be thinking that he should install a completely unsupported OS that could have any problems at this stage? Very bad advice and you know it!

4. jtbo

jtbo Registered

At the end, it is their loss that are not polite, who would like to race against such persons online? Yeah, nobody likes from unpolite racers, same of course goes for forum posters too.

There will always be them that have low self esteem or something and like to poke other persons like them being a pinata, just to get their 'kicks' or something illogical anyway, let us not being drag to among those and just ignore them and of course not race with them either, that should teach them to think twice how to reply to others.

Oh and there at left is that star thing, one can disapprove someone's post from there or approve, don't know what effect it has about anything, but if everyone would use that I think something would happen, maybe we get new pinata to kick :D

5. DriverN1

DriverN1 Registered

hi guys. I love this game, but must say that I can play rf1 on every setting "Max" and it looks better than rf2 on low-medium settings.. And I have no money to buy gtx580 or other expensive video-card and new cpu :(

6. Cracheur

Cracheur Registered

I may say that I can partially understand people saying that they are a bit disappointed. I'm more surprised than disappointed. After all, let's not forget that ISI did not promise anything for the Beta.
    So why I am surprised?
    I just don't understand, why ISIs pulls out the beta with the actual quality. There are still so many general and common issues and I doubt that ISI will be able to handle the feedback properly from the million threads in this forum.
    I just think that they are generating themselves massif un-needed stress.

GFX and FFB seem to still to be more alpha than beta:

1. People with a high performance PCs are struggling getting RF2 to work properly. Either you run crappy GFX or have to enable SSAA, which kills performance even on high end PCs. Yes it's beta and we know that ISI is working hard...
    At least high-end PCs should be able to run the game "reasonably" Again, I'm not asking for a fully optimized game but without tweaking the driver settings of your GFX, Rf2 reminds me of OUTRUN. If some cards would not run ok: fine, that's why we have beta. However this is general issue with all ATI cards. ISI certainly knew this and knew that people will be filling the forums. Why not fix this before release or announce it: AA problems with ATI are known, we will fix them. STOP writing 10000 threads about it.

I can't however agree with people running a x386 system with a x300 that complain about performance. BETA is generally something for enthuasists. So you can't expect a beta game to run smoothly on old hardware. > These kind of things are generally optimized during public beta.
    While, I still have certain level of understanding on the GFX side, I have no clue what happened with the FFB?

The majority of people complain about poor FFB and massif rattling. (and/or physics.... difficult to make the difference, if you're not sure if the FFB is ok or no). Again, people with a 10 year old momo wheel or specific ECCI wheels should not complain about a bad experience at this stage.
    However, ISI launches a public beta and the most popular wheels (G25 / G27) are terrible to use.
    I just don't understand what was tested during the closed beta.
    Didn't ISI know the FFB on G25/27 is poor and that 80% of will complain heavily. Again I don't understand why you launch a large beta having still such issues. What kind of feedback did ISI expect? Why didn't they announce that FFB is not finished and that G2x user will have problems?
    Now ISI gets pretty useless feedbacks of bad physics, rattling, rear-end not behaving properly, etc... At the end nobody can give a proper feedback at this stage, except that the wheels do not work properly. How can report properly at this stage about physics if FFB is not yet done? Again I was expecting that FFB would be at least working properly on the main FFB wheels and the beta would concentrate on fine-tuning and not on supporting wheels.

Personally, I thought the beta would be more about finalising the server browser, fixing some flag rules and validating the Physx and the realism of the mods. However, Physx can't even be tested now as FFB is not ready. For now, it seems that first the basics still need to get fixed.

Hence, I'm not sure if it was wise to release the public beta already now.

Before, some of you kill me. I'm not accusing or blaming ISI in any way. They did not promise anything to be working, are offering refunds etc... So there is no reason to agress ISI in any way. I bought a life-time licence and am absolutely certain that RF2 will be great and most probably the best SIM, I just don't understand what they intend by releasing the beta already now.
    I'm just not convinced that ISI will get the right feedback running an early version of RF2 within a large community.

I'm anyway happy to have something to test and to play with. I only start to seriously doubt that ISI will manage to get Rfactor2 "finised" within 6 months. Again, I think they could have avoided 80% of the threads by releasing beta only after FFB is working properly and that GFX would least work nicely on the majority of high-end machines.

So, here I stand, you can shoot me now for posting something negative about the beta!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2012
  7. hurricaneman

hurricaneman Registered

Don't worry Cracheur. ISI has its development team and its own group of beta testers. They can't be distracted by our 1000 complaints. They have a working plan and they will follow it. They decided to release it because we sim fans couldn't wait any longer to try it and they needed money to continue the project. This is just my opinion.

8. DriverN1

DriverN1 Registered

hurricaneman
    It would be good if it's true :)

9. Cracheur

Cracheur Registered

Being scared of being burnt alive in this forum, I didn't dare to mention the money argument...

10. TonyRickard

TonyRickard Registered

Inevitably there is a lot of noise on a forum days after a release. My day 1 post would have been much different from my "initial conclusion" post after having found some of the tweaks. I certainly wouldn't conclude the ffb and physics are broken from the responses.

I am very glad ISI released the beta, at some stage the developers have to take the plunge and put faith in the enthusiasts to test the software, code changes break stuff and you need lots of people to check out every combination of hardware, settings and ini values.

There will certainly be some learning on the way – My day one experience wasn’t great and if I wasn’t such an enthusiast I would have simply given up. There seem plenty of similar tales of experience improvement as the result of forum advice.

11. SKeijmel

SKeijmel Registered

hmmm if you remember how the rf1 beta/public demo was, this is already alot better in how it drives. alot of things still are in implanted in the beta, just be glad you can already try it.

12. brabham67

brabham67 Registered

Same here. No issues with the initial purchase like others had, but my first laps in the sim were a let down. Fortunately some of the tweaks and file edits found in this forum improved the situation to the point that I am constantly smiling now.

13. jme

jme Registered

its just a beta cant get more worst than this

14. Dany Mitchel

Dany Mitchel Registered

LOL LMAO!!!! Bull S**T

15. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Guys, I hate to break this to you all, but I have low hopes for those who expect a lot more FPS in the final release......
    All you who say, don't worry about the fps, it is just a beta;
    RF1 came out in 2005 I believe and lets say they have been working on RF2 from that moment on........it took them 6 years (lets say, remember) to come up with this; WHAT is changed on the engine?? Nothing to me........
    Do you really think that they took the old engine and lets say they changed it a bit, that has been so for 6 years; they are now, in the last 6 months of beta going to change the whole engine??

In my opinion; what they left for 6 years, the base of the game, they are not going to change a lot in the last few months of developing. They build the game around that; it is not an easy fix to completely change the engine; they would have done already if they were going to.

I have to say; I understand that from ISI; they build a game that can last another 6 years and in two years, you hear no one complaining about fps anymore.

16. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

Why on earth would you assume they've been working on this for 6 years? And why do you assume they have to completely change the engine?

I've been involved in quite a few betas. Graphics and engine optimization often comes at the very last.

If you really feel that way, then you should ask for a refund. But I can assure you that both your assumptions are completely wrong.

17. Navigator

Navigator Registered

@ Buddhatree; really?
    Well, I sure as h*ll hope I am wrong; I really do!!

I can't understand why the engine comes in last; isn't that something to start with and where you build the game on? Isn't that the hardest to change if your games runs on it already? I always thought so.
    But indeed; that's an assumption and I really don't know for sure; it looks to me that you know whats you're talking about, so I get my hopes up again! :)

The other assumption about the 6 years (was a bit of a gamble, that's why I said "lets say") is because when RF1 was one year old and people started thinking of the second edition; it was known that ISI was busy with it, so that's why.

18. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

No I said optimization comes at the end. They already have the engine, they just fine tune it.

The best thing you can do is keep reporting everything and make sure you post your system specs like you see under my name and avatar. The Devs need all the information they can get :)

19. brabham67

brabham67 Registered

I think we might have a better idea of the level of improvements when we see the next beta build. Right now we have one release, and that will be our base to compare against. I have faith in ISI. Hopefully with our help, and the talents of the modding community we will see rF2 become a great sim. Personally I think ISI is headed in the right direction. :)

20. Navigator

Navigator Registered

@ Buddhatree: Okay, then we meet in the middle; what I meant was that I have low hopes for those who think the fps is going to be tripled in the final......that would take a new engine I presume. So I don't think we may expect a miracle there.
    I do hope for some nice tweaks or fixes though.

Thanks for the tip; I will do so!