Vertical sync / Where to see the latency / What is the "maximum" latency time "acceptable"

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by dadaboomda, Dec 12, 2017.

Tags:
  1. dadaboomda

dadaboomda Registered

Hi guys.

Many people like me use vertical synchronization despite latency risks, which are bad for driving in a simulation (some people tell me that).

I personally tested the recommendations of a thread dating from about 2 months, without success (set a max framerate with a number not odd but a prime number, etc.).

At the fluidity level I am very satisfied with my use of synchronization via rf2 "video".

I have absolutely no idea of the level of latency, and if this level remains at a level "suitable".

Can you please :

1. Tell me precisely where I can watch the latency delay ingame ;
    2. From what latency time we can decently consider that the piloting is likely to suffer.

Thank you.

2. kiko0602

kiko0602 Registered

you can see it in game..just first test with vsync and then without vsync.
    go in cocpit view and watch steering wheel in garage when standing still.with steering wheel make quick moves from left to right and watch your hands on wheel and on screen(in game wheel),if your hands and wheel match in game steering wheel then you have no or little latency.
    but if your steering wheel and hands dont match wheel in game,then you have latency
    you will see in game wheel have delay when you turn your wheel left to right

3. dadaboomda

dadaboomda Registered

Yes I agree, but I wanted something encrypted. I guess in milliseconds.

It might be interesting to add with the new UI (just a line with the FPS data for example, not the mega HUD lol).

4. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

[QUOTE = "dadaboomda, post: 924948, member: 45208"] Sí, estoy de acuerdo, pero quería algo encriptado. Supongo en milisegundos.

Puede ser interesante agregar con la nueva interfaz de usuario (solo una línea con los datos FPS, por ejemplo, no el mega HUD jajaja).
    [/CITAR]
    my monitor has 4 milliseconds and the delay is not noticed... the characteristics of the monitor already tell you what is your lag
    better other data more important than the lag of the monitor
    before I had tv, and if you noticed the delay

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
  5. LokiD

LokiD Registered

ive always ran vsync.. gone back to after a stint using fast sync. The only sim ive noticed a delay , is dirt rally. But I think its more the title than my monitor. Have a 144hz benq now and vsync does look silky smooth on it, when your running 90+ fps!

6. Carr

Carr Registered

You can view the latency using MSI Afterburner with an on screen display.

dadaboomda likes this.
  7. dadaboomda

dadaboomda Registered

Thank you very much. I will try.

8. dadaboomda

dadaboomda Registered

With the "video" vsync of the game and in the control panel nvidia the parameter "maximum pre-rendered frames" configured on "game parameter": I clearly saw a large latency (I think at least 250 Ms).

After setting this parameter to "maximum pre-rendered frame = *** 1 ***", the latency is much lower.

However, I must reverify to be sure. If you have tips if possible keeping the vsync, it would be nice.

9. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

Indeed, Maximum pre-rendered frames, 1 > single card, 2 > two-way SLI, etc.