Vehicle model questions

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Laurent Keersmaekers, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Laurent Keersmaekers

Laurent Keersmaekers Member

Hi all,

I'm developing an own vehicle model, in order to automate some setup work. I do have some questions though, since the rF2 vehicle model is at some points unclear to me. The model I'm building is a fully functional multibody model, based on the *.veh and the chassis.ini and car setup files. The questions I have are the following:
    The basis of my model are the undertray points. The '0,0,0' of the undertray points form the local system of axes of the vehicle:
    • Are the suspension inboard/outboard points defined, taking into account the local system of axes? I refer to the points in the chassis.ini file.
    • In some mods I see there is a different location of the spindle axis and the wheel center. How should I interpret this?
    • In some mods the wheel center vertical position is smaller than the tyre radius. Is it correct to assume the axle will be lifted in that case?
    • How is the telemetry ride height related to the garage/setup ride height? What does the garage ride height mean anyway?
    • I have similar questions for the springs. Are the initial points defined in the local, or global (world) coordinates? How is the initial spring length defined (it has quite some influence if the initial length differs)?

It would be nice to know all the steps that are used in order to define the static state of the vehicle. So I would like to know how I can go from the setup settings (ride height, springs, tyre pressures,....) to the telemetry ride height. Even if there are some optimizations required (e.g. initial spring lengths), it's not a problem.

For me it's not a problem if the answer is very mathematically involved, as I've got much experience in building vehicle models, suspension systems, coordinate transformations, etc.

If it's too complicated to explain here, you can also PM me.

Thanks in advance for your help.