USF2000 Baseline Setup

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SputnikRSS, Oct 25, 2017.

1. SputnikRSS

SputnikRSS Registered

Looking for a baseline setup for the USF2000 car. Currently my major issue is the lack of mechanical grip especially at low speeds. The car can somehow do a tank slapper while only traveling 40kph and any throttle application out of a slow corner is almost an instant spin.

I am not sure how a F2000 with slicks would ever behave this way as I do race one in real life and it behaves nothing like this.

2. bwana

bwana Registered

Would be interested in your perception of the handling other than the above issue ?

3. SputnikRSS

SputnikRSS Registered

Nothing similar really. The real cars are very predictable and stable cars the sim version is seems very twitchy to me and lacks grip pretty much everywhere. High speed corners you can pull 2.5Gs but in the sim the cars just seem to wash away the more you push. As I mentioned the low speed handling is terrible in the sim meanwhile in the real world these cars are great and can be thrown around the low speed stuff very easily as they are very nimble with more than enough tire for grip.

The sim also seems to like to light up the rear tires which is kind of hard in real life as they don't have a ton of torque so unless you are coming out of a slow corner most of the time you just lightly step out and then instantly regain traction.

atomed, UsedMomo, vegaguy5555 and 3 others like this.
  4. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Sounds like there is another issue present for you.
    Can you post a video showing your problem?

5. Lu ManiaK

Lu ManiaK Registered

Softer springs, lower camber in front and maybe higher in the rear (but it depends from suspension setting) and, probably, raise the car up just a bit. It is you the driver in the video?

6. SputnikRSS

SputnikRSS Registered

Tried softer springs and reduced the rake of the car and it helped somewhat will try some camber changes tonight.

Yes I am in the blue car.

vegaguy5555 and bwana like this.
  7. Lu ManiaK

Lu ManiaK Registered

I don't know why you real drivers are not able to make setup! XD
    I'm not blaming you really, I'm joking...I have a friend that drive a Lambo in Blancpain (n°12) that have the same issue and he is also a simdriver from a long, long time...still pretty weird for me anyway.

In rF2 is very hard to find a car with a decent default setup good for every circuit. The only one, for me, is the Nissan 370z (but still needs to get lower cambers on the rear). The USF2000 seems to be (on default) almost at the limit for tires possibility. It could be helpful to know in what circuit and turns you have the problems. The best way to solve that is to go to a server and see.

P.S. do you need to use the clutch on downshifting?

8. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

As far as i can recollect i didn't have that kind of problems when driving the car. Maybe check in the controller menu what kind of input you get from your throttle. The input might sometimes get jerky due to dirty throttle potentiometer.

9. Lu ManiaK

Lu ManiaK Registered

Could be right...I would add clipping issues...but we take for granted that these aren't the problems. He says that now is better.

10. SputnikRSS

SputnikRSS Registered

It's funny because i made some changes that i would normally make on my car. Low speed compression spring rates rake and sometimes the sim goes the complete opposite direction of what i would expect. Part of it might be the whole real fake road feel. I can go out and do about 80% right off the hop in a real car on cold tires on the sims somehow they have iced down the whole track especially at low speeds where you actually would have more grip.

Will check my throttle input.

11. Lu ManiaK

Lu ManiaK Registered

On rF2 to drive with a completely green road is like drive at Silverstone for the first time after the winter...with a inch of unburned gas deposited from 747s.

SputnikRSS likes this.
  12. bwana

bwana Registered

Yep , l was thinking the green track may be over exaggerated at times or the tires being not quite right . Have you tried with a very rubbered in track ? Also check ambient temperature at circuit . Might be set at 10c ;)

13. Christos Segkounas

Christos Segkounas Registered

Whenever I hit the kart track on Saturdays the track wasn't exactly green but still lacking rubber and covered in light dust.
    We would start lapping in the 51s going down to 46s by the end of the day with all the rubber laid down from the weekend warriors.
    That's 5 secs difference in less than a minute.
    On race days there was so much rubber on the track we were doing 44s.
    I thought that was pretty insane and if you made a mistake with the throttle mid corner the kart would start hopping so hard your ribs could tell the story later on that evening at home.
    Of course it didn't stop there.
    When we were having the 6 speed Balkan championships the amount of rubber laid on the track brought the laptimes down to the 41s.
    There were 17 year olds that had trouble breathing during the race.
    I have found RF2 to be very accurate in this respect.
    Make sure you use at least a reasonable amount of rubber on the track otherwise every car will make you feel like you do not belong.

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  14. SputnikRSS

SputnikRSS Registered

For rubbering in you will always be able to go faster but unless it rained and someone laid down a bunch of oil you shouldn't be going back to ice racing. The effect on a cart due to it's lack of mass will also make this much more pronounced and with the shear amount of karts rubbering in a kart track will be very different to the amount of cars running on a weekend.. In our F2000 the difference between a good temp/grip level is about 2/3sec on a 1:30 lap.

Tried the camber change and dialing back the rears really helped with the highspeed corners as the car felt much more stable. Still not great in the low speed stuff. Was running Road Atlanta (Atlantic Road) and the chicane before coming up the hill towards the front straight was ice in a very rubbered in session. As soon as you would leave the second turn no grip what so ever. Also had an interesting tank slapper that I caught straightened the car out drove straight for a bit and then went for the next corner and apperently the car was still in tank slapper mode as the back just walked away.

15. Lu ManiaK

Lu ManiaK Registered

16. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Still thinking theres something wrong on the technical side.
    Please post PC specs and a video showing your issue would be very useful.
    Maybe you are (in worst case) out of realtime...

17. SputnikRSS

SputnikRSS Registered

Thanks for the setup. Obviously you have never had to pay for racing tires! Pigeon toeing the car would never occur to me especially with that much camber as it would destroy a set of tires within a few laps in the real world. These things are why people who drive real cars probably struggle with sim setups as you wouldn't want to do half the stuff to your real car.

The setup didn't turn in worth S&*( but I can fix that and have it working alright now. Normal toe settings on cars like these is slight toe out in the front (1/8") and then neutral to slightly toed in on the rear (1/16)'

Risto Kappet, vegaguy5555 and bwana like this.
  18. Lu ManiaK

Lu ManiaK Registered

Obviously a sim will never be like reality. Tires (tyres? What is the right word?) are gratis on sims. :D
    And, following that aspect, you have to drive like a man with the death in person behind you on sims. To use a commercial sim for improve a real set is utopian. For that you need rFPro and pay 20000$ for a well calibrated mod.

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  19. McKiernan

McKiernan Registered

Depends whether you speak English or American o_O

vegaguy5555 and Lu ManiaK like this.
  20. jayarrbee36

jayarrbee36 Registered

All this talk of tyres tires me out.

vegaguy5555, Lu ManiaK and McKiernan like this.