User Interface Modding - Anyone looked at?

Discussion in 'User Interface and HUD Modding' started by Slothman, Feb 24, 2012.

1. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

You're welcome!
    But this picture doesn't contain enough information to do a UI yourself I'm afraid :( For instance the balloons with numbers are the ID's I defined to easier find the respective entry in the file. You won't find those ID's in the default OSC file ;)

But depending on how the feedback will be in the future I will publish all my work and research/documentation ;)

Just a side note: The default OSC is a real mess! Am really wondering how the guy, developing the UI, orientates in it :confused:

2. Some1

Some1 Registered

Perhaps with some kind of a tool?

3. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

"some kind"...yes :D

brings up the question again: why don't we have/get such a tool? :D

4. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

5. Some1

Some1 Registered

Cool!

Did you start with a completely blank OSC or did you modify the existing one?
    I'm wondering, if it is possible to start with a blank one, so that rF2 wouldn't crash...

6. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

No, I started with the original one as you may see in older postings ;)

Starting with a new one could be possible I guess, but AFAIK many parts are hard-coded so in the end you need to keep the original OSC definitions. But for example you could clear the OSC file and only put in the parts needed for the main menu. Then you can progress to other parts of the UI.
    Anyhow for me the "reverse engineering" (enabling, disabling or entering various charakters/numbers to see what's happening, then giving an ID to the element or document what the value did change) way worked well, so I will keep it until I find an easier way (for example a tool :D)

Some tips for editing the OSC files:
    • use Notepad++
    • choose the file language "C++" (now you have highlighted elements and are able to "close" the text blocks)
    • disabling entries by two backslashs: //VALUE
    • enabling entries by removing the two backlashs: VALUE
    • mark a complete block, do a right click and choose comment all lines --> the complete block now is disabled
    • mark a complete block, do a right click and choose uncomment all lines --> the complete block now is enabled again
    Above these, you are able to simply edit and save the OSC file with the editor and then reload the UI by using the customize menu directly from rFactor (of course using the windowed mode and set the resolution to 1280x960!);)

7. Some1

Some1 Registered

I wonder, how much "life" could we bring into the UIs? By that, I mean mostly animations, like animated backgrounds, transitions between elements and screens and so on...

Right now, the UI feels very static and lifeless, sometimes it makes me wonder if the game has freezed or not :)

BTW, here's my UI mockup I made a while back in Photoshop:
    [​IMG]

8. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

Looks good, judging from the thumbnail xD Could you please add the full size image?

Yeah one could add some life if ISI put in the needed plugins ;) In the rF1 UI you were able to use BIK videos. There is no such thing in the rF2 install, so currently only static images are possible. Only possible animation is an image animation (the main menu buttons for instance) but this is so outdated and much work is needed to get a flowing animation.

I just tried to remove the icons from the main menu buttons but failed. I did everything possible and even a new button doesn't work. So in the end one can tell that all buttons ("Gizmo") are hard-coded. You only can edit it's appearance and position but you are not able to rename the button or remove the icon from it - that's really stupid :(

Actually I'm really wondering why no guy from ISI has a look in here and drops some lines about what's possible and what's not or what's needed to enable/disable things. And I don't know how to "force" them to simply give some short comments. This really makes me sad :(

9. Some1

Some1 Registered

Uh, if you click on the thumbnail, you don't get the full size image? :confused:

Here's the full size: http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/3008/tdqj.jpg

10. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

Nope. It just opens up the thumbnail ;)
    But thanks for the new link!

Really looks promising! Only thing I would change are the RACE button (text button for THE main function of the game!?) and I would put in some more color :D
    At least your design (or way of design) with larger buttons could be one option to circumvent the hard-coded icons....maybe I'll have to redesign my UI to avoid problems with the icons...

11. Some1

Some1 Registered

If you like, you can take cues from my design, or rip it off completely, I don't mind :D
    I'm not going to create the actual UI right now, because I simply don't have the time.

12. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

OK :D We'll see!

13. Danielo944

Danielo944 Registered

Will that UI mod that you're working on be released anytime soon?

It looks beautiful and it's a big improvement over the bland interface of rF2.

14. Miro

Miro Registered

I believe you can remove them.
    See how it's done in the devMode UI.

15. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

Thank you for your interest! :cool:
    But I will have to disappoint you: The release is very far away from soon :( Actually the release is depending on the support of ISI as there are so many things still need a clarification...and of course a lot of work by me is still needed too! :D

16. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

You're right, but the problem is that the corresponding UI elements have different names. For the DEV mode ISI choosed different names meaning the UI elements themselves are not identical to the corresponding one from the retail UI. Anyway I will give it a try ;) Maybe the retail game works even with the DEV mode elements ;)

17. RJames

RJames Registered

Some1 your UI concept looks good, but to much like AC imo. The space can be better utilised.

I certainly agree the UI needs a overhaul and could really do wonders for the perception of the product, first impressions and overall navigation/usability tasks.

I worked on a couple of UI Concepts for another racing product of which i cannot post currently but gmotor based. I may put together a few ideas down also.

Does anyone know ISI's stance on the UI, is it final? would they be interested in a community driven UI concept of which they could put into the game (as they know it better than anyone). /pokes Tim.

It's all well and good building mods but mods don't fix the issue is that the UI could be better for everyone, not just those who install a mod.

18. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Just plain & simple, high res. looking , crisp would look really good, no need for swooshing moving stuff etc , IMO

19. Miro

Miro Registered

He he, it's not something the Kunos guys invented really, there are loads of similar projects based on the flat/metro themes. I am working on something similar but I really struggle to get some tidiness in to the stuff.

20. Miro

Miro Registered

A base start :). What do you think about it?

[​IMG]