Upgrade my computer for rFactor 2

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Robbie Bouchoms, Sep 18, 2018.

1. Robbie Bouchoms

Robbie Bouchoms Registered

Hello racing addicted people,

I'm driving the Virtual Endurance Championship at Simracing Club. That means I'm racing day and night with 50 other cars (or something like that).

I got a major discount at my work so I want to upgrade my computer.

This is what I currently have:
    i5-2500K - 3.30Ghz
    2x4GB DDR3 RAM
    Asus P8P67-M Motherboard
    Radeon RX 480 8GB
    500GB SSD

What I'm planning to buy new:
    i5-8600K 4.3 GHz
    2x8GB DDR4 RAM
    MSI Z370 Gaming Plus

Maybe I want to buy a 1070Ti in the future, but not for now.

So what are your thoughts?
    By the way you can take a look at www.paradigit.nl to see if we have the item you're preffering.

2. Ruben Miranda

Ruben Miranda Registered

Hi
    I would go
    I7 3.60 and up
    Memory minimum 16 gig 32 G would be great but 16 will be good
    Graphic card if you have to wait a little longer nivida 1080ti
    What about monitor ?
    Good luck
    Ruben

3. Robbie Bouchoms

Hello Ruben,

I'm gonna buy a i7-8700k instead of the i5-8600k, so thats better :)

At the moment I'm not gonna buy a 1080ti because they are to expensive at the moment. I can get €200 for my current graphic card, so with another €250 I can get a 1070ti. But that something for march 2019 or something. But the prices will drop in 2019 so maybe at that time I can buy a 1080ti.

I read that the CPU is much more important then GPU for racing simulations like rFactor 2

4. Booth_doberman

Booth_doberman Registered

Okay, so this is a different suggestion. Buy one of the inexpensive Windows mixed reality headsets, such as the Lenovo or Acer and see how you like RF2 in VR. I run RF2 (and IL-2) on an I7 4770 with an RX480 and a Lenovo headset and I couldn't be happier with the performance and the experience. I will never be a flat-screener again. I looked at upgrading to a Vega 64 and an I7-8770K but I really didn't think I was going to get that much better experience in VR with them. After all, if it just allows me to turn on some graphics features that I don't deem critical (e.g. soft particles, shadows) it probably isn't worth the expense. I don't know if the I5 can handle VR but Microsoft has a test tool that will tell you. Driving and flying a quality sim in VR is the best. For those who want to say the RX480 can't handle VR, I get an average of 60FPS in RF2 and 90 in IL-2 Flying Circus (with the HUD off).

5. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

Don’t expect the 1080ti to be dropping in price any time soon, they may even go up in price.

Benchmarks for the new 20 series rtx cards have just landed and the none of them are worth buying, the 2080 is £200 more than the 1080ti and performs worse, the 2080ti is just too expensive

muzikant likes this.
  6. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

Which inexpensive Lenovo are you referring to? The one I could find through searching, is $450, which is 50 more than a proper Oculus Rift. Neither are cheap.

7. Booth_doberman

Booth_doberman Registered

The Lenovo Explorer. it's been on sale recently on and off at B&H and Newegg for around $99 (without controllers). You don't need the controllers for RF2. I just noticed that B&H is showing the headset with controllers as "discontinued" and the Microsoft store doesn't list the Lenovo at all. I suspect the Lenovo headset is going away, and those who have them are just dumping inventory.

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

If you're going VR it seems important, otherwise it's mainly a case of fast enough is good enough. i5 @ 3.6GHz here is well and truly enough to run single screen and I suspect triple screen (haven't tried it yet) and in the short to medium term I wouldn't expect rF2 to fully utilize more than (or even as many as) 6 cores. By the time games in general, and rF2 specifically, is able to use more any CPU bought now will be sort of outdated anyway. So personally I'd say stick with a current i5 and have extra money for the next upgrade, unless you're going VR but still get first-hand reports of what CPU is and isn't enough for that.

Risto Kappet likes this.
  9. Robbie Bouchoms

Thanks for the comments! :)

Well I'm planning to go for VR in 2019. I know I need to upgrade my graphic card for that, but that will come in 2019.