Updating CPU; useful?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Navigator, Nov 2, 2021.

1. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Hi guys,

I'm thinking of updating my cpu (and thus; mainboard and ram too).
    Since I got my GTX 1070 8Gb a while back, I am pretty happy because I always use V-sync. I have to; my eyes are getting to old and sync makes it just that much more smooth.
    So, running 60 fps and in all games the highest settings; no problem.

Got a new monitor and now the sync fps has to be 75. Stil no big problem; on one or two games I had to lower some shadow thing or so, not much.

Now I'm wondering how useful an upgrade would be since I use V-sync and the fps will not get any more.
    So why am I questioning this? Well, don't laugh, but my cpu is a i5 3570 on the cheapest mb I could find and 8Gb of 1600Mhz memory :)
    But it does handle all games I've got now. I don't go out and buy much more games; I won't have problems with games in about two years; I'm pretty satisfied as it is. So; I don't take that in account all that much.

What I was planning on:
    - i5 11400f
    - Asrock B560M-HDV
    - some 16 Gb of 3200Mhz ram

So, I'm in doubt.......would it really contribute all that much and is it worth around 350 euro?
    The system itself is a dedicated race-sim; not running anything else on it.
    What would your advice be guys?

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

If you aren't having CPU issues, why do it?

3. Kahel

Kahel Registered

You should keep what you got, for now...
    ...only think about upgrading your CPU once GPU price become somewhat decent again... hopefully one year from now.

Right now you really won't see much performance gain with a CPU updgrade... maybe 10% on average... compare to 25% with a more powerfull GPU.

So like you said yourself... it does the job... so don't updgrade just for the sake of upgrading... especially since you won't be able to get the most important part, the GPU, at a good price right now.

4. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Thats a good point guys.
    I started thinking about it when the W11 update failed and I realised how ancient my setup is.......
    So I started looking for stuff for a while and then realised it may not have the effect I was hoping for because of the V-sync.

Also, I was under the impression the GPU was pretty fast and don't need an update.
    Second impression; the system was bottlenecking my GPU; that one would become much faster when a proper system is running.

So, those two things were in my head; I thought that was the hing and thats why I thought of updating the system (also).

5. ThomasJohansen

ThomasJohansen Registered

Just looked up your cpu. If you are doing AI races, my guess is that your cpu is pressed to the max.

My old cpu is having difficulty in handling more than 15 AI's. If I have more than that they start to "lag" when I get near them.
    but if you dont have that problem, then wait to prices get a normal level.

note im running simhub etc. in the background which uses 20-30% of my cpu.

6. Navigator

Navigator Registered

That is actually a good one!
    I never thought about it, but I did limit the cars on track because of stuttering!
    Most games its 10 to 15 cars and more do give problems.

The cpu IS maxed out, on every game I play, that one is true.

7. ThomasJohansen

I dream of doing endurance races with AI with 40-50 cars but it requires a big upgrade, which I will wait for until prices drops.

8. Navigator

Navigator Registered

I can imagine!

But you say; more AI is more CPU power needed, is that right?

9. lagg

lagg Registered

Yes, because the CPU calculates the physics, position, etc, of every AI

10. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Ahh!
    Never knew that.
    Got some new overthinking to do than; racing with more cars is nice too.

11. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Got some more time to dive into it; I always thought that the GPU was the "baseline" for the GPU, some sort of support.
    But they work together, each their own tasks.

I do recall my fps dropping when I have a lot of AI on the track and thought that was a GPU issue.
    So, in the case I would like more that 10 to 15 AI on track; a new CPU would be helpful, is that right?

12. U. Daniel

U. Daniel Registered

Everything apart from graphics is calculated by the CPU, that means a more complicated tire model, better physics model, more and better AI, more complicated weather model, all will need more CPU power. That's why upgrading your CPU would be well worth it, I would go for an I7. The I7 can do more complicated calculations than the I5.

13. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Wow! This is a complete new chapter opening for me!
    I'm getting exited!

Thinking that way; that would explain why lowering the resolution didn't really do all that much when 75 fps is not manageable?
    I mean; I've got a 34" ultra wide with 75 fps locked and since that monitor, I had to set some setting different to be able to get the 75.
    Lowering the resolution, didn't do the trick and I thought that was weird.
    Things that did work, were removals; less trees, less public, less cars and so on.
    Those things were useful, way more that cutting the resolution in half!

Edit; forgot the i7 thing.
    Thats not in the cards (read: budget).
    But on the other hand; coming from an ancient i5 3570, the i5 will make a good step too, right?
    And there is always: "for a few bucks more......" but I'm stretching it already.
    My wife has been very good to me the last year:
    - 34"ultrawide monitor
    - GTX 1070 8Gb (second hand)
    - load cell for the pedals
    - Thrustmaster T300 GT something
    - F1 Ferrari addon
    - proper pcp airgun

Sowww...........I don't want to stretch it right now......I may loose privileges ;)

Last edited: Nov 3, 2021
  14. lagg

lagg Registered

Yes, because the most you reduce the amount of objects, the most you recuce the cpu load.
    Then try reducing the details in the game (player, oponents, circuit, AIs)

15. U. Daniel

U. Daniel Registered

Another fps hog is damage, playing without damage helps a lot with the framerate.

16. ThomasJohansen

Finding the correct cpu for your budget.
    check the score at cpu benchmark.

Your cpu (i5 3570) have an score at 4879
    https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i5-3570+@+3.40GHz&id=827

Mine which is really old too (FX-8350) have a score at 5956.

The one you thought of buying in this thread i5 11400f has a score at 17710.
    so if the price fits your budget its a huge improvement.

But try to find different ones that fit your budget and compare them, then you know what to buy.

juanchioooo likes this.
  17. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

I have the i5 8600 K I used it with the OCULUS RIFT CV1, it cost me € 232, accompanied by the GTX 1070 that worked very well for me .... now my wife has the 1070, the CV1 and the 10400F and I can assure you that it CPU 10400 F goes faster than 8600 K ....... LA 1070 is a very good graphics card, I upgraded to 1080 TI because they gave it to me, otherwise, I would not have updated the graphics card, .... If you can upgrade to the 11400F that is for € 170 in Spain it is a very good option, you will notice it compared to the i5 you currently have, ... price quality would not upgrade to an i7, for rfactor the i5 is enough, the 10400 F this for € 145 would go very well with the GTX 1070:);)

ThomasJohansen likes this.
  18. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

my previous cpu was an fx 8350 there is an important improvement with the i5, obviously it is newer, but it goes very well with the Pimax 8k plus and the 1080ti, if I did not have this graph, I would not have updated to the Pimax

19. Navigator

Navigator Registered

20. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

Another expense you might not have considered, when changing your motherboard and CPU you have to buy Windows again if it's not the Retail version of Windows.
    If it's the OEM version, that is locked to the hardware on which it was first activated. If it's the more expressive Retail version then think you are fine.