Updates for everyone

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by yifter, Sep 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yifter

yifter Registered

... no matter your online licence!

So ISI takes a bonus away from loyal, paying customers, just so the doubters are happy? I dont feel good about that, to say the least!
    Or maybe i am just mixing things up and there is and never was an auto-update planned for non-paying (online-licence) customers?

Just so nobody takes it wrong, im talking about online-update.

Quote from virtualR:
    No, autoupdating is free for everyone now, it does not require a license. The previous build implemented that. What's happened with the latest build is a problem though, where that has been reverted for whatever reason in error. They have said it will be sorted in the next build, back to free auto updating for everyone.
    /endquote

If i am right, what will paying customers get in reward, what is the compensation for diminishing paying customers in this way (don't we deserve it) ?

Maybe the next renewal will be cheaper (adding ideas)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2014
  2. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

You are sadly mistaken.

The auto-updates are for PAYING customers, whether they have paid for a single-user or multiplayer license.

As it turns out, in classic ISI fashion, someone reset this function incorrectly and it now won't be available until the next update.

The original cutting-off of auto-updating to all but lifetime subscribers was an inept, self-defeating move by ISI that fortunately got corrected. rF2 is already the most difficult and fiddly sim to install out there--not a good idea to make it even worse if you care about growing your fan base and market share.

3. yifter

yifter Registered

Yes, what i said. Auto update was a feature ONLY for multiplayer (regardless lifetime) licences, no?. So you are not right, no?
    What is the reason and why are we (or me) not informed of the diminishing of our (my) financial input (loyalty)?

I know this is not kickstarter, but the company is taking stretch goals away from their customers. I feel this is not right!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2014
  4. RNelson

RNelson Registered

So exactly what has been taken from you by others being able to auto-update? You can still use multi-player and they cannot. So aside from the fact their lives are easier to update a game they paid for how are you impacted? I don't think anyone is going to pay for the on-line capability just for the purpose of easier updating, they would just take a few minutes to download the update and install it. You are going to spend as much time or more making your original post and follow up responses to negate the benefit of auto updating.

5. yifter

yifter Registered

Now, i paid for the convinience in the first place. Second, ISI told me it was my benefit of paying for an online licence!

I dont care what others get, im caring on my engagement (sry im german ;)) with ISI and they dont keep their word ---""""ONLINE UPDATES FOR CUSTOMERS WITH A VALID ONLINE LICENCE """--- (supposed to make my life easier as a loyal paying customer, thats what i am) ,diminishing my financial effort. Thats all im saying.

6. PMC

PMC Registered

Firstly everybody has paid for the game in one form or another and deserve updates .

Secondly because of the continually changing folder structure , without auto update this requires the user to have to delete the core and maybe some stuff in documents which is really unacceptable for the average user to have to do each update , causing confusion and angst . It I simply easier and less confusing for everyone to allow auto updating .

Having a lifetime license still has it's benefits as of course you can still play online hassle free .

If $13 a year is too much for someone to pay for online access alone i'd ask for more pocket money to be able to pay for it ;)

It simply comes down to common sense to allow this .

7. blakboks

blakboks Registered

Guess it's as they say: "loyalty can't be bought."

Which makes me wonder why people complain about value and loyalty in the same breath. If they're truly loyal, they wouldn't complain when nothing but exclusivity has been taken from them.

8. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Your reward is to always be able to play multiplayer. That should be the only difference, there's no benefit in preventing standard license holders from being able to update their game in a convenient matter - if anything it's frowned upon.

9. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

If you continue with this tirade I'll have to let you cool off away from the forum.

It's been open to update for a year, maybe longer, it has been accidentally locked again 2 times that I am aware of - but didn't affect most as it was before 6/2014 so only affected people who bought between 01/2013 and 6/2013 - and then 1 time that there was a change of mind about tying it to the payments - quickly reversed after discussion.

Multiplayer is tied to the yearly payment and lifetime users. There's your benefit right now. We may tie a couple of other new things to it later on, but would rather do it with things that don't halt updating. Failing to update causes *us* work through support of old builds.

FYI, most of the content we have built and are planning to build wasn't planned, either, neither are/were some of the features. I doubt they will, because it's almost as silly as this thread, but I'll ask the developers if they would consider making you a special build, where you only get what was initially planned or in-progress when you purchased - because that's what you paid for.

Don't post about this again, you're making yourself look bad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.