Updated modding tools. Is it within the "To Do List"?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by SPASKIS, Dec 15, 2013.

1. filippu

filippu Registered

So, in your first post you have the solution to import tracks in 3Dsmax, and yet, 2 weeks later, you still complain that you can't import, you can't learn, blah blah blah.
    People release mods. So the tools are just fine, otherwise no one would release anything.
    It's getting ridiculous.

2. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

You don't know even what you are talking about. I need external tools to work and the way to procede is far from optimal. I have explained enogugh my POV so that smartasses like you say everything is fine "because people release mods". That argument is what is ridiculous. It is like saying: "ISI stop developing rF2. It is already usable and fun to drive!!!!"

enviado mediante tapatalk

3. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

You still miss the point. The debate here isn't about protecting content. The debate is about whether you have a RIGHT to take content. Just because you leave your door unlocked doesn't mean it is okay for people to walk in and take your stuff. If you want to make analogies, would you demand the police make a system that disarms security systems to make it easier for you to steal the contents inside? That is essentially what you are demanding ISI do for you.

ISI hasn't made tools to export because there is absolutely no point in going backwards other than piracy. I understand you are just trying to learn but there are modelers out there that are willing to help. Also, you already have a method to export GMTs. It isn't efficient but it should be sufficient for "learning" right? I mean, surely you aren't just trying to rip off everyone's content in masses right?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2013
  4. filippu

filippu Registered

The smartass knows how to make tracks, you don't :) Have a nice day.

5. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Maybe not as good looking as yours but maybe more funny. Who do you think you are to say i dont know how to make tracks. You are even smarter than I thought. Your mamma said so right?

6. Mario Morais

Mario Morais Registered

I don't know if ISI have other private tools but they have done very good circuits just the tools that exist are good.

ISI has at this point should have other priorities so I made ​​my own tools.

7. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I think that there is excess of paranoia lately in this forum. Saying that piracy is the only purpose of importing rf2 objects is just lying. Especially when it is known that there is a huge community which is glad to share their work to which I belong. Making us upload original content in whatever platform we design to share it is stupid amd selfish IMO. If I claim for a secure system to protect the work by encrypting the mas files I am stupid as well since it is not necessary either. I do think it is necessary and it would clearly define when somebody is willing to share or not the content of those files. Right now it really difficult to know whether something is shareware or private. I guess it is just my problem so I will need to keep relying on the people who have really helped amateur modding community to make our own tracks to drive in: Brendon Pywell and Dave Noonan. If I started on track modding it was thanks to their programs despite some say I dont know how to make tracks.

Sorry for disturbing but nothing else to comment here. As I have said several times it is useless since it looks that some people prefer keeping the mistery of modding.

8. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I don't think it's that much of a mystery once you learn what is needed to learn. No?

9. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I'll tell you when I consider I have finished learning. After more than three years still need to learn several things.

10. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Yeah. It has taken me some time to understand some things, some I still don't as I have never yet had to do some things. I came to ISI in 2010 fresh to modding of ISI products.

I do not think you will see an import script though, to answer your first question. Better quality content would be scratch built, we'd 'encourage' that, while if you have to convert from rF1 to rF2, etc, you still can. It's just not as easy as you want it to be, of course.

11. Davy TASB

Davy TASB Registered

Just an observation but its a pity that there seems to be only a handful of people bothering to do scratch built tracks though. Think ISI may need better or easier modding tools to get people making these scratch built tracks again.

Would have thought ISI might have helped someone like Spaskis to learn how to sort out how to put reflections into mods seeing as he has asked enough and has been good enough to make some tracks for the rF2 community.
    Maybe ISI should assist modders a bit more before they give up modding for rF2 and move to other sim/games like Feels3 has done.

12. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

Building track from scratch is pretty big project and normal timeframe to complete such a task (when you are working as hobbyist, only your freetime) will take months. Long "production time" has nothing to do with ISI's tools, it just take time to model couple of square km's construction floor completely, not to mention about collecting reference material, texture building, AIW, cameras etc. I have noticed that many modders are first very excited about building track from scratch. When time goes by with their project, they get surprised about huge amount of work which is needed to complete it. Many times they get bored and project just goes to modders desk drawer to collect dust and will never finished.

ISI has provided all necessary tools and information to build tracks from scratch. It just matter of modders personal dedication, if he/she has steam to finnish these projects. No one is perfect from day one. To learn this game engine requires pretty steep learning curve and you can't learn it completely with in week or month, especially if you don't have any experience of track building before. Create a playground (small test track or area), practice, test things and adapt learned skills to actual track project. That is something what I do all the time. For example, testing and learning how to apply reflections to the track is much, much easier in a "playground" with 100 meters of road and two TSO's, than trying applying it directly to actual track scene and perhaps spending couple of days cleaning up mess afterwards.

My point is, that we have all necessary information available. All tools are working and nothing prevents finishing any scratch build track projects. If some show-stopper appears middle of the Project, just ask for help. I'm pretty sure all necessary help is available for you, if needed.

Cheers!

13. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Everytime I read the sentence "build tracks from scratch" when talking about this topics I ask myself the same question. WHY? What is the huge difference that makes terrain, road, objects unusable? Is the terrain built in adifferent way? Aren't most objects the same regarding geometry?
    According to my experience what changes the most between rf1 and rf2 is shaders which has nothing to do with geometry. For sure trees are better if using billboards and like that some others. No scratch for that is necessary. Animations are new as well but I already worked out how to use cornerworkers and flags without starting from scratch.

Can anybody explain what advantages does it give to start ovwr a project and how several things will be done in a different way regarding geometry (not texturing) than it was done with rf1?

Redoing tracks and terrain takes a long time and I would bet that if I had the knowledge of 3dsmax I still need to learn I would not see any advantage from starting from scratch and I would still procede the way I do. Doing tracks is not only knowledge but also technique and experience to solve different situations. This is important especially when some tasks are very time consuming and methods for solving them quickly are highly appreciated. I am good I think with those and I try to use the best tool that I have for each.

General layout, pianos, guards, tyres: BTB
    Material editing: 3dsimed
    Object building: Sketchup
    Texture editing: Photoshop
    Animations implantation: 3dsimed
    Real terrain for distant objects: sketchup
    Texture mapping: 3dsmax. This is the critical feature that is not covered by other tools. With sketchup is easy to texture objects but it is not the right tool for track and nearby terrain.
    Scn editing: notepad :)
    enviado mediante tapatalk.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2013
  14. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

15. Davy TASB

Davy TASB Registered

Good response that....
    that said, we will all know for sure whether rF2's modding tools are too complex and difficult or not when AC gets up and running and then we can see what quality tracks are released by the modders for it and how quickly they get them out. (Mind you Feels3 bashed 3 top notch tracks out for rF2 quickly enough.)

Correct, ISI were sat on their arses doing nothing watching one of the best modders being being taken away from this sim and being hired by someone else. At least they bagged Tuttle though.

16. Mario Morais

Mario Morais Registered

@sparkis
    To put reflections in tracks:
    Each object need a plane to define the reflection level. If the track is flat is not a problem but on sloping sites must be an inclined plane. Is not easy to fit a plane with some angle of track so i made a function that creates a plane from 3 points.
    Another thing is include objects names to a list (reflection mapper). Can use ISI tools but is not yet optimized and still has some bugs so i do another function to add selected objects to a TXT file.

[​IMG]

rf2 road need more mesh resolution. Many rf1 circuits, including the ISI, has little resolution.
    Pleclair start Nordschleife with 3dsimEd I commented that he was losing time and that the only way to make a decent conversion to rf2 is import the entire circuit for 3dmax. He was sad and discouraged but almost past few weeks gave me reason and with work and my tools he did a good job.

Track and terrain creation: 3dMAX + SplineTrackMaker (Very fast. Can create a basic track in 10 min.)
    General layout, pianos, guards, tyres: 3dMAX (I am developing a tool for this.)
    Material editing: 3dMAX
    Object building: Sketchup or 3dMAX
    Texture editing: Photoshop
    Animations implantation: 3dMAX
    Real terrain for distant objects: 3dMAX + importGEO
    Texture mapping: If use Sketchup for modeling can do the basic mapping (channel 1).
    Scn editing/Creating : ISI tools are the best.

Excuse my language barrier so I try to respond with solutions to problems

17. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

Well, let's be fair - Simbin is doing nothing but DLC and "New (recycled) Sims", you simply can't get everything out of nothing, would you like ISI to go DLC too ?

18. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Thanks a lot mario. I think that you understand very well my POV since you started with BTB and have developed the specific tools 3ds max needs to be a POWERFUL track editor. I am waiting to see what the recently announced BTB version can offer and its future intentions. I have myself offered to Piddy to collaborate as beta tester trying to provide him as much feedback as necessary to be a reference. If my expectations are not fulfilled i will probably end up buying your tool and providing feedback to you. I sincerely appreciate your comments about the tool you think is better for eah task. Not only you are a great track modder but also a reference in the way things should be done to optimize TIME. Thanks.

Ps. BTW my nick is spaskis. No problem with language. I understood everything. I dont know if you speak Spanish since lot of portuguese people speak spanish very well. My company has a factory in Marinha Grande which I used to visit and I understand a little bit portuguese of spoken slowly. Just in case we talk any time ;)

19. speed1

speed1 Banned

SPASKIS I apologize to jump in here and I have no idea of the matter but as a person who has no idea it all seems very messy to me. Why is that ? No one in a position to develop a program what can do everything ? Odd :confused:

Honestly this is not a working example for engineers and master technicians we do not know such a chaotic and tedious work as it appears to me here.

Why is there no program which includes all base models, textures.......and has a growing database user can offer models voluntarily usable and selectable directly ? I don't get this, so many years and still scrap on the market without inovation in real good ideas.

Thousands of programs which convert partly the same more or less well. Nice there are people out like Mario doing something for.

20. Davy TASB

Davy TASB Registered

DLC for rF2 is already here, old bean! :)
    Dont mind paying ISI for downloadable stuff as long as the price is fair tbh.