Updated Historics 1.4 versions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, Apr 23, 2013.

1. liebestod

liebestod Registered

Can someone knowledgeable describe what the implementation of the new engine code might mean? What will be different about the way the engine acts now?

2. Nibo

Nibo Registered

I found historic F1s strange behaving from day 1. At that time I thought, that physics engine not finished or something wrong with early versions of cars. But now it seems there will be no changes in this sadly. Even BT, which I liked after first session in Monza, later on I found to be wrong. Wrong for my feelings I mean.

So, after this (close to final?) update my opinion is:
    BT and Spark F1 - sadly ones of the most undrivable cars I encountered for 10 years in simracing (except F1s from 1937 mod for rF1). Losing back end in Ascari? Not being able to maintain control on braking before Parabolica, basically not being able to drive in direction I want them to drive. It feels like suspension is broken or something. I do not enjoy such simulation even if it is realistic (which i doubt). So, pass.

Eve F1 - is still very hard, but contrary to BT and Spark is controllable, it brakes and corners adequately. I will occasionally drive it offline, but for online it will require very high skill of competitors or it will be wreckfest every time.

Eve F2 and Eve F3 - very good. This are the cars that will be prime contenders for our league racing.
    Eve F2 after update has tire squeaking sound even if driving straight in 1-2-3 gears for some time after corners. Is this how it should be?

Spark F2 and Spark F3 drivable, but much harder than Eve, feel unstable like Spark F1.

I found cockpits and tires are better looking after update.

One more thing that I do not like. Why in rF2 revs are bouncing like crazy when go to upper limit? In most other sims I remember and in rF1 you go through gears and when RPM nears its maximum it stays there. Say, if max is 9000RPM, then it stays at 9000RPM or nears it slowly. In rF2, in Historic formulas specially, it goes to 9000RMP and then bounces to some lower value and up again with high frequency. Which is strange and distracting... I do not know if this is realistic, but have not experienced it in other sims much, nor seen on TV in real races.

Oh, and RPM arrow in UI still not aligned with revs of this cars.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2013
  3. tjc

tjc Registered

Many thanks for these updates Tim and all the team.

Downloading now and will be testing later.

:cool:

4. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

Solved it. Some of the vmods still used the old content so I just deleted those.

5. argo0

argo0 Registered

So, if I install these updated components we've still got the shadow drawing problem and I'll lose the ability to adjust the side mirrors independently.
    I welcome the updates and all the good work ISI do in creating the best sim by miles. But these sorts of issues really do my head in. I mean, what possible reason can there be for no longer being able to adjust the mirrors like we used to? Why has the only ISI reply to my bug reports about the shadow drawing been along the lines of 'we're unaware of any such problem, probably a problem at your end'?

Sorry for any negativity, just being honest about something I care about. And I realise that this is frustrating for me mostly because I'm not a software developer and don't understand the process.

6. Nibo

Nibo Registered

John, that makes sense, thanks. I am ignorant in car mechanics unfortunately, but we have a car from 1970s (Moskvitch-2140 :) ), and I remember one time there was a problem with air caught in a cooling system and we were trying to get rid of this air, and my task was to push gas pedal to max for brief periods of time, and I do not remember such bouncing. I can not check this now thou... Oh well. I just do not like how it sounds in the sim. Also I understand that I never should go that high on an RPM in a first place, in real life and in sim.

I`ve also seen car shadow not visible on replay at Monza.
    But on every car I tried mirrors were adjustable OK.

7. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

The only thing I dont like about this mod is that the engines are too tough. Cars at this period of time were renown for being fragile and going kablammo at the slightest provocation. But it's a league version thing, I get it.

8. lbird

lbird Registered

Is the engine (or mechanical in general) damage model as unfinished as the general damage model? I've seen engines blow up when you step and keep your foot on the fun pedal for quite some time, but i have yet to see other typical mechanical failures like broken gearboxes, missing gears, broken suspension and the like. And i am not even talking about my special pet, the missing working clutch :confused:

9. Davy TASB

Davy TASB Registered

Nice one ISI.
    Nice to see the missing building back at Monaco. Wish you would do something about "racing the pop up shadows" though.

10. DrMabuse1963

DrMabuse1963 Registered

Is this the only Content to delate ?

11. DrMabuse1963

DrMabuse1963 Registered

12. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

Did a quick test and I could adjust mirrors now (Eve f1). I think I could not earlier because I had dublicated install because of some vmods.

13. pay2021

pay2021 Registered

This

14. HumanZob

HumanZob Registered

Hi guys ! I'm french so, pardon me for my poor and bad english please ! :)

The first thing I want to say is: Thank you very much for this orgasmic update !

I've just driven all the cars updated on the 3 updated tracks and Lime Rock for the last 5 hours.
    I understand that the work is not finish at all, but the improvement is very good. I love how the car dancing around the track and punish you by understeer or oversteer when you go a little bit to fast. And the car oversteer or understeer not by "default" but in reaction to what you did with your wheel, your brake and your throttle. If you go to much fast you can't recover, but if you do a little mistake you can just turn the wheel in the opposite direction and play with throttle to recover. At Lime Rock this is awesome how you could go fast and feel that, even if you don't are in the car for real. Some little change in the setup and the car need to be drive an a little different way, you feel what the changes in your setup do in slow or fast corners, straight, under braking or exiting a corner. That's very good.

The differences between the F1, F2 and F3 cars seems good. The way you need to drive it is no very different, but with F3 wich is slow, you are more confident in the car than in the Brabham for exemple. That seems real, I don't think driving an old F3 or F2 is very far away than driving a F1. The only real difference between these cars is the engine. So you are in the right way ISI guys !

I've driven in the wet to, but it seems like the dry so I imagine the wet physics don't exists at the moment.

The tracks looks very good ! I love Monaco, but Monza is awesome too. I've don't find any bug with bumps or curbs. When it is bumpy you feel it like you feel when you go on a curbs, especially at Monaco :p
    Old Spa is a beautifull track too, but I'm not a very huge fan of this track, I prefer the actual layout.

So, another time, thank you very much ISI. I'm in 2 other "pay for Beta" driving simulator games and rF2 is the only one to deserve the title of Simulation.

KEEP IT UP, ISI rocks !!! :cool:

15. dsuspense

dsuspense Registered

Impressive update.
    Like the new cockpit graphics changes, working mirrors, tire wear and track fixes.
    Thanks!

16. tjc

tjc Registered

Ok, only managed a very quick test and could only use AI to drive as no time to set up the rig atm but as far as looks are concerned, I think the updates look pretty good.

Nice to have better cockpit graphics and updated graphics to parts of the tracks and obviously delighted to have working mirrors again and the missing building back at Monaco.

The cars and tracks are really starting to come together now.

Really liking the new historic driver too, the new gloves/hands and suits etc look good. Pitty the helmets and goggles etc haven`t been done yet but I know they`ll come along too when the time is right.

I know there`ll be more work to do but it`s all heading in a very good direction.

Back with more later when I`ve managed to get behind the wheel. :)

17. Paddler

Paddler Registered

KEEP IT UP, ISI rocks !!! :cool:[/QUOTE]

+1

18. tjc

tjc Registered

Btw Tim...

Tried your vMod and it worked fine for me. :)

19. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

Updated Megane and Portugal next please. :)

20. TiTaN

TiTaN Registered

if the goal is just to update old content we're gonna have a bad time... :p