Updated features using old UI

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Normark, Dec 6, 2021.

1. Normark

Normark Registered

Hi
    Like a few others I don´t like the new UI. I wonder, if you switch to the new UI, and afterwards go back to the old depricated UI, would it have updated the game core to the newest version, and only miss the new not so friendly UI.??

2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

The old UI is dead. Whether good or bad, it is done, over, capice?

haunetal1990 and mixer61 like this.
  3. Normark

Normark Registered

Works fine for me, have fun with the new UI. :)

rand777 and juanchioooo like this.
  4. Normark

Normark Registered

And you don´t know the answer I think. :)
    Your reply was a bit rude I think.

5. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Blunt yes, rude? No. I could have led you on with nice words of maybes and possibilities...but I chose to be frank and truthful.
    So, no MAYBE they will change their mind and give up on 5 years of work. Or the POSSIBILITY exists they could give up on the Comp System and many other changes. But no, the future of rF2 IS the new UI, no ifs, ands, or buts about it. They will not waste a penny on the old system, no matter how many people complain. I was actually, if you think of it, trying to be kind. The longer you hang on to the old UI, the less experience you will gain using the new version.

6. Normark

Normark Registered

Thanks, but I think my question was relevant.
    If you want the titel to be a sim for ex. of your local track you don´t need all the new stuff, just the core and the vehicle and track.
    All the "RACE GAME" features as in all the other titels you don´t need.
    I just asked if you could have the core of the game updated for the best simulating of driving, and leave all the new features for the people that want a racegame instead of a simulator.

7. PatientRF2fan

PatientRF2fan Registered

I have wondered what version you retain if staying with the old ui? I think that’s what your asking?

I hated changing of course but i had to do something similar when I lost my phone. Sucked!
    So I picked a weekend to try some new tracks and cars and went for it. not great but the old ui was brutal too.

Polished turd lol

8. Normark

Normark Registered

Thanks, almost what I was asking. :)
    It seems when you switch between UI´s that there is very little download of "stuff", so I just wondered if the core is updated the first time you go to the new UI, and if the new stuff/shaders etc. from the new build is still the ones you use if you then go back to the old UI.
    Maybe it sounds a bit strange. :)

9. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

No new features will be backward compatible with the old UI as of about a year ago. You can still load and run older content, but with each new iteration, the old UI will become less usable. The old UI is the OLD UI. It is not updated, it is not kept feature level with the new UI. Depricated means it has been abandoned. You would have to try and load each track & car to discover if the old UI can process it. I would suspect any track that has received PBR/DX11/Reflections/Horizon updates will throw a-lot of errors. When Steam switches from the new UI to the old UI, it loads a series of files that were consistent with the sim at the time S397 depricated the UI. There are no benefits transferred from the new files to the old files. And no old files transfer to the new UI when you re-load that.
    What works with the old UI is only content that has not been updated since the old UI was depricated, which includes several ISI original cars and probably some 3rd party tracks.(try the Rieza tracks for example)
    Does it still work? yes. Does it work with new content? Doubtful.

PatientRF2fan likes this.
  10. Normark

Normark Registered

Thanks davehenrie for a serious answer.

11. rand777

rand777 Registered

I"m still using the old UI and haven't encountered any issues with new content. Would be curious to know if there is a list somewhere of new content that doesn't work correctly with the old UI. I will eventually upgrade but don't want to risk perturbing the reliability of my current setup at the moment.

12. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Got the Competition System working?

PatientRF2fan likes this.
  13. rand777

rand777 Registered

Obviously not, the competition system is a new feature, so only the latest version of the software will support that. I have no problem to date using new content (i.e. cars and tracks).

I realize the latest version of the software has additional features, as well as bugs, but am fine without them for now.

14. Lazza

Lazza Registered

You're basically answering your own question here, but in addition: any new 'core' features, such as physics enhancements, will be embedded in the .exe that will only run the new UI. So you can't have new game and old UI, as you've stated yourself here.

Other than that, nice thread.

15. Paul Stante

Paul Stante Registered

I really dont get why people have so many issues with the new UI which has been around for quite some time now.
    I have been using the RC version from the begining and have encounted only minor issues.
    I dont think anyone can make a UI that everyone will be happy with but for me it works fine. Pretty hard to go back for me.
    But I suppose I know a few people who refuse to update their phone software
    "because they keep changing stuff"

16. rand777

rand777 Registered

You are mistaking me for the OP who asked that question. It's clear that you can't have the new features with the old UI.

17. rand777

rand777 Registered

For me it was simply because I was getting hard crashes to the desktop with the new UI so I reverted back to the old UI, as having a working system was more important than new features. I eventually plan to upgrade to the new UI just don't want to perturb my existing setup which is for the most part perfectly reliable. It's great that it's working on your setup, that doesn't mean it works without issues on every combination of hardware/software that is out there.

A correct analogy using a cell phone would be if the upgrade on your phone caused it to no longer work reliably, so you reverted back to a previously stable version which worked perfectly fine.

18. Lazza

Lazza Registered

You are absolutely correct sir. I'm not sure how I managed to do that, but guilty as charged. Sorry!

rand777 likes this.
  19. rand777

rand777 Registered

No worries at all, figured it was just an innocent mixup. Hoping to join the new UI crew eventually!

20. Normark

Normark Registered

One thing that I didn´t like when I tried to switch on to the new UI was that I was asked which content of tracks and cars I would like to install. In fact none, I have already subscribed to the content I wish to have on my harddrive.
    I have no issues with new content using the old UI.