KNOWN 'Update' tab greyed out on launcher

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Jamie Devine, Jun 21, 2014.

1. Jamie Devine

Jamie Devine Registered

Hi,

I've just opened up the launcher and there is a message saying that my online subscription has expired and the 'Update' tab is greyed out. The thing is I've never had an online subscription - I purchased the offline license when rFactor2 was first released and have never had this issue before. Even if the online subscription (which i've never had) is expired I should still be able to use the updater right?

Does anyone know what is going on?

Cheers

2. freew67

freew67 Registered

This is from the Help section:

What are the online services I renew with Standard version?

Included in online services are all multiplayer (including LAN) services, automatic updating of the software, and other online features we have planned for future development.

If you do not renew the Standard versions online services, your simulation will become an offline-only simulator, where you cannot race against other people and instead must race against the computer A.I. You will also have to manually locate, download and install updates to the software.

3. Jamie Devine

Jamie Devine Registered

Ok cheers, I thought I only ever purchased the offline-only version. I didn't realise the updater was part of some additional subscription. Thanks for clearing that up.

4. freew67

freew67 Registered

No problem. Depending on when you first purchased it, you got at least 12 months of the online subscription as well.

5. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

It might actually currently work if you login on the simulate tab in the middle, exit the launcher, then open it again. Multiplayer won't, but updating MIGHT.

6. borges

borges Registered

OFFTOPIC:

Since i've purchased the first released build i got 18 month subscription which ended last June 15th! How can I buy the lifetime subscription?? I mean, i can't buy it because i already have a license but i wanted to pay the difference.

7. F3n3k

F3n3k Registered

Same things for me, Update button in grey, i try your solution but nothing happen
    thanks for your help

8. RNeves

RNeves Registered

Me too!!! Do i have to do a full install?? With all the addons and stuff??

9. FOG>Daheee

FOG>Daheee Registered

Same thing this did not work for me either.

10. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

Just pull your packages folder out of your install to keep it safe. I do, anyway.

11. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

I always uninstall thru windows uninstaller, there are always sub-folders not removed. I then go to rF2 folder and delete all sub-folders except packages folder.
    Then reinstall the lite version. you then just reinstall packages from the mod manager. Packages folder is never deleted.

12. Nemesis44uk

Nemesis44uk Registered

Terrible way to look after your customers

Bitterly disappointed with this. I haven't touched rFactor 2 since my steering wheel broke and I finally get enough cash to buy a new one, so I go to update my rFactor to the latest build and I find out that my subscription has expired. Okay, I knew that my online subscription had expired, but I never race online. What really pisses me off is that I can't even update my legitimate game that I paid full price for. What the hell?

It is a terrible design choice that ISI have pursued - a real f**k you to the people who stuck with the game when it was a buggy mess. It isn't fair, it's as simple as that. It's not the money, but the principle of the thing.

I've been championing rFactor 2 to anyone who'll listen, but I can't do that anymore with a clear conscience.

I'm gutted.

13. canastos

canastos Registered

It's as simple as to download Lite installer and install it; no need to get angry, when you know your online subscription has expired, and update is an online service, isn't it?

byyyyyyyyye

14. Nemesis44uk

Nemesis44uk Registered

Ummm

Okay, then I guess I owe ISI and Tim an apology. I'm still not convinced that it's fair not being able to easily update the system, but at least I can do it manually.

I'm sorry for flying off the handle. I guess I've been made over-sensitive by most games publishers gouging their customers ('sup EA?)

I withdraw my complaint ;)

15. Nemesis44uk

Nemesis44uk Registered

"Since i've purchased the first released build i got 18 month subscription which ended last June 15th! How can I buy the lifetime subscription?? I mean, i can't buy it because i already have a license but i wanted to pay the difference."

If you drop Tim an email, he'll be able to help you further. Let me know as it's something I'm interested in.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2014