SOLVED Unsubscribe items from DLC workshop

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by sedesa tatasa, Mar 29, 2019.

1. sedesa tatasa

sedesa tatasa Registered

I cannot Unsubscribe items from DLC workshop.
    They will be automatically subscribed.

2. Marcel Offermans

Marcel Offermans Registered

By design it will subscribe you to content you bought.

3. sedesa tatasa

sedesa tatasa Registered

Can you change the design?
    Frequent updates are annoying.
    I want to uninstall them until I use them.

4. benborp

benborp Registered

This is a significant problem when it comes to trouble shooting. I am at the stage of having to re-install Windows each time that I run rF2 while tracking down problems. A clean install without the DLC would be very useful and time saving.

David Kolody likes this.
  5. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

There are issues with rF2, but none that I've seen that require re-installing windows. Furthermore, the DLC, while displayed separately in Steam, is still just a part of the rF2 content, you should be able to troubleshoot with it present just as easily as not. I can't help but think you are trying to solve a problem with a sledgehammer rather than a tappet.
    Without more information, it will be difficult to find a solution. So first, the basics:
    What hardware do you have? Videocard, cpu, memory? motherboard.
    What version of windows?
    What peripherals do you have? A steering wheel? pedals? shifter?
    And finally what is the problem that requires you to remove the dlc and supposedly rf2 AND windows???

6. benborp

benborp Registered

However there are issues with Windows that require re-installing Windows. The difficulty is having an additional several gigabytes of game content to download before being able to make a bare bones check of whether the issue that affected rF2 has been eliminated.

The issues that I have been looking to eliminate include:
    Sound reproduction
    Mapping of controls
    General performance loss solely on race events
    Unnecessary re-projection in VR
    Mid game freezes
    Driver swap failures

These are issues that have been present to some degree for a considerable time. All have meant abandoning races or league championships, either because a workaround is not available for the specific mod that suffers most from a specific problem or because the issue causes a race ending failure. These were generally endurance events that involved considerable preparation, commitment and the support of team mates. Crashing out after 10 hours of a 24 hour race because brake inputs are suddenly not being received by rF2 is pretty tough and pretty galling for teammates that have got the car in to a race winning position against the odds.

The sound reproduction issues involve a known Windows bug that occasionally strikes yet has not been addressed in several years and several versions of Windows. Under certain circumstances Windows will continue to apply enhancements to sound despite such options being disabled, the enhanced effect is borked and rather than increasing a certain effect's prominence it is muted. There is a workaround that involves unbalancing stereo signals and cancelling various functionalities, sound quality generally isn't too degraded but a couple of mods still will not have a direct engine sound and the only time that the engine can be heard is when it is reflected environmentally. I have been using this workaround for over a year and simply don't race in the league that uses a mod that suffers from this Windows bug. A fresh Windows install solves this problem. Sound quality is substantially better across mods that I had previously considered unaffected.

Control mapping has been an issue for a similar period. I've invested a lot of time in trouble shooting this issue and even after the initial cause was identified (rF2 losing focus) I have had to constantly monitor and adapt the use of several other applications and rF2 to minimise occurrence and mitigate against the effects of suddenly losing mapped controls. Approximately six weeks ago the problem progressed to requiring correction every time the car left the pits even though rF2 wasn't exhibiting any other signs of losing focus. Recently there was another slight change in how this bug manifested and several events ended on the grid when it was impossible to anticipate whether controls were correctly mapped at the start. It would appear that a fresh Windows install has eliminated all these problems to the extent that I can't deliberately initiate a focus loss that affects control mapping. Ornate workarounds for using apps that leagues consider essential are no longer required and I'm confident I'll now be able start from the grid rather than the pitlane.

An associated problem with rF2 not being recognised as the active window involved SteamVR. Particularly the VR compositor dropping out of realtime whenever the rF2 window was deemed to have lost focus. This issue often stepped on the toes of the control mapping problem and solving one might either solve or provoke the other. Once the compositor dropped out of realtime there would be a cascading carcrash of performance issues that could result in single figure framerates, warping and huge control spikes. Again the Windows install has made this aspect of my system far more robust and I have yet to see the compositor drop out.

Although I have only taken part in one event that might have been expected to exhibit the raceday performance degradation since the Windows install, it is striking that after several months of every single race with a large grid where I suffered constant poor framerates, stuttering and control input lag of various degrees, this is the first where there was no hint of any issue. Despite practicing on servers with 50% more cars circulating than on raceday under the same conditions I would always have performance issues when it came to the race. This would be despite having massive amounts of headroom across the board. Months of investigation and tweaks had only resulted in me gaining more headroom in order to mitigate against the performance loss. The fresh Windows install would appear to have made a difference that numerous base, DLC and driver installs and configuration and setting changes failed to effect.

Very recently I encountered severe VR issues whereby, despite no pressure on the CPU of GPU, VR would constantly flicker between a state of no re-projection and re-projection. This situation was un-drivable. At this point I began rolling back drivers, investigating recent updates to content and applications, reviewing all performance/quality settings, re-installing content, clearing folders, re-installing rF2, re-installing SteamVR, exploring beta options, re-installing Steam. None of this provided any insight in to what was the cause of the issue. After a fresh Windows install I have regained decent VR performance.

Mid game freezes and driver swap issues have been affecting numerous people that I know as well as myself. In addition to suffering the issues above many races have been affected by freezes and warping and once by a bizarre series of events surrounding a driver swap. I have submitted trace files to aid diagnosis of these problems, but to be honest seeing as I have suffered such a litany of problems I'm not sure how much use they would be. However, I have hopes that the improvements after the Windows install will make a difference.

At this stage I'm not going to blithely recommend to others that have suffered any of the same problems that they re-install Windows. What I am doing is taking the opportunity to investigate areas where I have had to compromise over the last few months while not being too perturbed at finding out what will knock my rF2 installation over. The re-install that prompted my ire over an additional 6GB of downloads delivered useful info on several aspects of the VR re-projection issue that I could not discover with my previously compromised Windows installation. There are a couple of other issues that I would like to explore more thoroughly but the prospect of an additional six gigabytes of downloads each time dissuades me. However I am at the stage where a Windows re-install is a surer bet than re-treading a path that I have passed over fruitlessly many times before when a league event looms.

7. Mark Fuller

Mark Fuller Registered

@benborp You have listed a whole series of things that people have experienced, but failed to list your system specs. The most likely cause of your issues is your system, not Windows or rF2. Please indicate your system specs so that others can start to advise.
    I use VR on a mid to low system and have had issues over time, but have resolved ALL of them by tweaking various things to get the best out of my system. I have not reinstalled Windows or rF2

8. benborp

benborp Registered

I've posted relevant info in the relevant threads. I'm not looking for answers or advice, I'm pointing out that after a fresh Windows install I'm in a position to empirically assess various posited solutions to various problems and that having control over whether I need to download several gigabytes of content would be beneficial.

9. FS7

FS7 Registered

This is a terrible design choice imo. I got the Reiza pack, I don't want the F-Vee or the 2 Puma cars, but I'm forced to download them. Not only that but there's also the issue of being forced to have an additional copy of all items in the workshop folder taking up valuable SSD space.

SoloWingX, Churrinche and Boyd like this.
  10. Boyd

Boyd Registered

I have to agree. Steam gives us the option to unsubscribe and resubscribe as desired, but it's a pointless exercise. I don't understand the rationale behind this. But it's more than that. If I have to reinstall RF2, as we have to do now and again these days, it will automagically re-subscribe me to all the default S397 Steam content. I cannot tell you how many times I have unsubscribed from Steam workshop items, only to have them re-appear. If I am not subscribed to a workshop item in Steam, I should STAY unsubscribed until I decide I want to use it. Very frustrating.
    Now if I reinstall rf2, I first go to steam after installing, unsubscribe (again) from everything, and then start rf2.

11. Reiche

Reiche Registered

Any changes to the design in the meantime?

For the old UI the trick with changing "Disable Workshop Auto-Subscribe" to "True" still works, but as soon as I switch to the new UI the downloads start again.

12. SoloWingX

SoloWingX Registered

+1 for giving us a choice, sometimes buying a whole package is cheaper but we are stuck with extra content. Especially now, the new UI is the default and will be supported going forward, yet official paid Reiza content has no images or badges in the car list...

Reiche likes this.