Unofficial NEWS Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by johnsclander, Dec 13, 2018.

1. LokiD

LokiD Registered

I don't think rr business model gets a great reception either.

2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

:) wouldn't be the first time!!!! :) nor the last.....I'm just surprised somebody hasn't pulled up a price list and shown that the 1200 dollar pedals are actually $1150. I'm days away from retirement. I will be incredibly restrained in my finances then. But I hope I can scrape up enough for Nords and this upcoming carpak. We'll see, "I" may be the one complaining about prices....lol.

J7166 and GrimDad like this.
  3. stonec

stonec Registered

I do like the package aspect, I have an old non-Steam rF2 installation with all old mods still running. Workshop changed this a bit though. Maybe you can do some sort of backup of workshop files, but the way most of us are using Steam workshop, the content is gone the second somebody decides to remove their mod from there, which has happened to me a few times. Also with paid content you can't use the backup option, so this is 100% tied to the workshop.

Just to be clear, I'm not advocating for the iRacing model where you pay both for the subscription and content, as IMO that's a bit like paying for a Netflix subscription and then also for the movie. I was just envisioning maybe in future games will have to offer different pricing models to stay competitive. Right now this is all limited to Steam though, perhaps the only alternative now would be to offer a "season pass", where you pay less for a larger pack of DLC's.

4. J7166

J7166 Registered

I feel bad for the users that are having trouble affording s397 content... to an extent. But some of the comments I've seen on social media though have struck a nerve with me though. For starters, most of the new content bring released you can find other free versions of the same cars and tracks. Secondly, paid DLCs aren't something that's exclusive to this studio or even sim racing in general, just about all video games do it. Also, laser scans are ridiculously expensive, licenses with major auto manufacturers are expensive. Studios are businesses first, if you can figure out a business model to be able to afford things like that while not charging users for it I'd like to see how. Charging for some content is what gives studios the ability to create other free content //end rant

MarcG and kodnin like this.
  5. Emery

Emery Registered

You mean you haven't made stand-alone copies of the packages like I have?