Unclarified topic regarding plugins causing CTD (FB)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Euskotracks, Oct 19, 2016.

1. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

rF2 has posted in their FB page that two plugins are causing crash problems if not using their latest version.

When asked about which plugins there bas been no answer since yesterday. I would have expected that this info was posted in the rF2 forum.

Is this a joke or what?

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1261572677226975&id=117738571610397

Enviado desde mi ONE A2001 mediante Tapatalk

2. Gijs van Elderen

Gijs van Elderen Registered

PSA: It's just as important to keep third-party plugins updated as it is content and the core software. Please check your plugins. :)

Problably some complains with out of date plugins in general. If your plugins are up to date don't worry. :cool:

3. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

Hi gysbers. If you read the full story you will see in the comments the following quote from rF2 profile:

"Two specific plugin are causing crashing on program exit and possibly elsewhere when not using their latest version"

When asked about which were the two specific plugins, there has been no answer.

I hope it is better understood the topic now

BTW. We seem to be encountering in many threads. Just to let you know, your vid about the jaggies of Monza was great. I simply cannot believe it only has 62 views. I forwarded it to my mates from the Racerfactor modding team. They were interested in learning those techniques to obtain the nice results you achieved. So we are at Euskotracks. Our tracks would require as well those enhancements. Our skill and knowledge limitations do not permit us any better. We have learned by trial and error and it would be great to learn from you to apply those enhancements to our existing and future projects. However, the fast speed of the video makes it difficult for us to follow. If you would ve willing to give some "master classes" via teamviewer or similar it would be simply fantastic. No compromise for sure...

Cheers ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2016
  4. stonec

stonec Registered

Even up-to-date plugins like TrackMap causes frequent crashes when Alt-Tabbing, so it's really nothing new and I also wonder what sparked them to post this now and which specific plugins it concerns. Development on rF2 and its plugins have remained almost static during the last year, no new build released in five months, so it surprises me there would be any new problems recently.

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

"on program exit and possibly elsewhere"

It takes time and methodical testing to find root causes with certainty, so if anything no recent builds just helps narrow it down without extra variables thrown in.

While I can understand some frustration at some info without clarity, the bottom line seems to be to check you have the latest version of plugins. Then you avoid whatever they're talking about.

Alt-tabbing with graphical plugins is probably another matter entirely, and I doubt new versions would help much.

6. cosimo

cosimo Registered

Alt-tab can crash rF2 without the need for any plugins to be installed.
    Windowed mode is the only thing that prevents those crashes.

7. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Registered

8. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

OK. Dash meter pro is one of the two plugins.

Which is the other plugin?

It should be noted that the average user does not usually follow isiforums.

This is quite more common among league admins, modders... Here we pretty much know each other.

The average user usually races in one or more leagues and follows the forum of that league.

I would like to advise to our league members to update the problematic plugins. It is quite more likely that they read that in our website forum, rather than they keep informed about all the new versions of the different plugins.

IMO posting in FB that it is important to maintain plugins updated is not effective if it is really meant to reach the average user and expect him to do something.

That type of communications should be mainly directed to racing communities which generally act as an intermediary to reach the average end user.

Finally, regarding ALT TAB...
    I really dont know why this turned up in this thread since it is a completely different story. Alt tab is never safe if you use full screen mode, regardless of not using any 3rd party plugins and having the game updated. Indeed since I have moved to steam I cannot safely alt tab even in offline mode. Alt tabbing in offline mode was safe before in non steam (even using 3rd party plugins). I only had problems offline when using Gerald's TV plugin which would cause trigger the alt tab issue. I reported him about it. It was a long time ago so I can't remember which version (never used it again for that reason so it might have been solved). I haven't checked either if B1098 non steam has become problematic but I will do it later and provide my feedback in the thread talking about alt tab problem.

I would understand that if non steam B1098 does not show the problem (or at least it is very diificult to provoke) and steam version does, it could help understanding what causes the issue and getting it, at least, minimised. Windowed/borderless modes are effective to prevent the problem but they both drop fps for some users including myself. Other people say they do not experience that drop. I would really like to see their fps benchmark.

9. F1Fan07

F1Fan07 Member

I wouldn't call it up-to-date. TrackMap v0.96 for rF2 is 25 months old and further development has been dormant (if I'm wrong, someone let me know).