Unable to save Clio Skin :(

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by Kevin Karas, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Kevin Karas

Kevin Karas Registered

Hi there,

last days I made some custom skins for different cars. Now Im making one for the Clio but the problem is, that when I want to save the template as .dds CS2 says "problem with file-format module". That happens only with Clio template. I tested it side by side with Megane and FR3.5 templates and I can save them without problems.

Here is a screenshot of the error in german:
    View attachment 6545

2. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

The only similar problem I've had is when there are multiple alpha channels. The DDS format can only have one. Not sure if that helps though ...

3. Kevin Karas

Kevin Karas Registered

4. Kevin Karas

Kevin Karas Registered

I found the Problem. I had to disable "Alpha-Channels" while saving. I dont have to do it with other skins.

5. Radar

Radar Registered

Try flattening your template.. So although you will have 1 x Alpha layer, you may have more than 1 x on the Main channels list.. Flatten it and see if this will solve it..

What version of DDS plug-in do you have ?

With disabling Alpha Channel, do you still see the Alpha layer when you reopen it ? The skin might not look as good without the Alpha layer.

6. Kevin Karas

Kevin Karas Registered

AW: Unable to save Clio Skin :(

What do you mean with flattening?
    Im using the latest 32bit Version cause 64bit wont aork although i have a 64 bit system.

Gesendet von meinem HTC One X mit Tapatalk 2

7. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

DO NOT FLATTEN.

Do a search instead and you will find what needs to happen.

8. lordpantsington

Did you figure this out?

9. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

If you don't flatten the layers before saving to DDS you'll get a message that it wont save until recently. I don't remember the exact message words .

It's only the latest DDS plug-in for PS that you no long "need" to. It will now save DDS from a PSD. It dose say in the change log that it will save PSD to DDS but "not" with alpha. I've had no issues with doing this with alpha but when I save the final finished product I still will flatten it first.

This type of message can appear if there is 2 alpha channel layers as mentioned above or if you have the DDS open in PS and try to save it new from your PSD.

Because I can't read the message not being English, Is it tailing you the alpha will be deleted first? If so your using the wrong DXT setting.

DDS_settings.png

Be sure to use "Volume Texture" Not 2D Texture. 2D texture must be used only if the template is not 2 squared. 2D has a different compression rate and don't look as clear on the cars as Volume Texture.

10. lordpantsington

The plugin will flatten for you. It always has. This is what needs to happen:

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/10567-PAINT-PROBLEM-%28skin-painting%29?p=146070&viewfull=1#post146070 (Post #9)

When I've had an issue with saving, it was always remedied by making a "dummy" background layer. Most often it was missing in the template.

If you flatten and save to dds and for some reason your PS crashes, congrats on ruining all of that nice layering work! I used to flatten, save out, then undo to get my layers back. Now I just "save as" a dds and keep the template, layered and separate. The only thing I have to do is save now and again (usually I save after I save as to keep the dds and psd in sync). If things crash, I only lose work to the point of when I saved last. It's a much better option than having to rebuild every layer in the template from a lossy format. I leave my templates bloated, it's not uncommon for me to have 200+ layers in a 200+MB file. If I ever need to make a variant or steal some shapes I know they are available. Another helpful tip is to rename a template after extraction from a rar/zip. I've mistakenly overwritten work by re-extraction. If the psd is renamed, you just end up with another copy on the HD.

I must disagree on your use of a Volume Texture.

We are saving out 2D for mapping onto a 3D object, thus 2D is what should be used.

From my understanding (which could very well be flawed) Fire, Dirt Clumps, Grass, Smoke; Things that are sort of particle in nature are the sort of things that flag is intended for. This is because a mesh for these objects would be poly-intense.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2013
  11. 4L0M

4L0M Registered

Sorry, you are wrong. Maybe not wrong as such, but you are just giving yourself a load of work for no reason whatsoever.

All you need to do is when you are happy with your skin and you want to export, SAVE as a.psd file, then Go to "LAYER", then choose " Flatten Image", Then save as .dds File....easy.

Making "dummy Layers" is pointless, confusing and time consuming...

12. tjc

tjc Registered

+1. :)

13. lordpantsington

If you flatten every time you save and want to waste time, that is your right. 40 or 50 saves to check how it looks in game and that time will add up. My method will increasing efficiency, saving time, it is a small two step process, not a "load of work". My reasons are very well defined.

Fact: The plugin works without error if there is a background layer present and will remove the need to flatten each time you save.

You've failed to explain how I am wrong. Thus stating "wrong" is rather pointless.

Since this is a forum for discussion, some things to consider:
    How do you know "when you are happy with your skin" without viewing it on the mesh?
    For intricate stripes and outlines that span multiple body panel groups, you often need to adjust things that don't line up. Sometimes a move by 1 pixel is all that is needed. This requires multiple saves.

Not pointless: removes error on export, prevents accidental destruction of a permanently flattened template.
    Not time consuming: saves time in the long run.

Confusing?
    A bit, at first. But things are not always apparent from the get go. Give it a try and you'll see there is no need for flattening any longer. The benefit outweighs the cost.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2013
  14. 4L0M

4L0M Registered

The plugin will flatten for you. It always has.

No it hasn't....
    ......i've been using the plugin for years...

This is what needs to happen:

When I've had an issue with saving, it was always remedied by making a "dummy" background layer. Most often it was missing in the template.

If you flatten and save to dds and for some reason your PS crashes, congrats on ruining all of that nice layering work!

Just save as .psd before you save to .dds.....simple?

I used to flatten, save out, then undo to get my layers back.

Or you just save as .psd first? you don't even need to do that save as....save is adequate. just click the disk icon, it's instant. You are bound to forget at some point to undo before you shut Your image Editor.

Now I just "save as" a dds and keep the template, layered and separate.

Like i said above.

The only thing I have to do is save now and again (usually I save after I save as to keep the dds and psd in sync).

You must work very slowly then. I save the .psd file i'm working on everytime i add a new layer or edit a layer, just click the disk icon, takes less than 1 sec. Your .dds file never needs to be "In-sync" with your .psd file, that makes no sense at all. the .dds file is only required when you want to see it in game.

If things crash, I only lose work to the point of when I saved last. It's a much better option than having to rebuild every layer in the template from a lossy format.

Makes no sense, if you save when you edit any layer in the .psd file, like i state above you will never lose anything???

I leave my templates bloated, it's not uncommon for me to have 200+ layers in a 200+MB file. If I ever need to make a variant or steal some shapes I know they are available.

Of course you should, This is common practise....Everyone should do this.

Another helpful tip is to rename a template after extraction from a rar/zip. I've mistakenly overwritten work by re-extraction. If the psd is renamed, you just end up with another copy on the HD.

I totally agree, should be standard practise.

I must disagree on your use of a Volume Texture.

We are saving out 2D for mapping onto a 3D object, thus 2D is what should be used.

I Agree !

From my understanding (which could very well be flawed) Fire, Dirt Clumps, Grass, Smoke; Things that are sort of particle in nature are the sort of things that flag is intended for. This is because a mesh for these objects would be poly-intense.

15. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

Guy's, All this is now quite mute!
    Despite Lordpants stating the DDS plug-in always has which is not correct, The new nVidia, DDS plug-in can and will now save a DDS with Alpha from a PSD layered template.
    When a flattened template is saved to DDS is retain the DDS status in your PS workspace.

How ever, now if you don't flatten, just save to DDS a open layered template it retains it PSD status.

2D V Volume Texture. I'm not interested in what the book said. It's the end result that concerns me.
    Thanks for the expo guy's but I'll continue to use what works.

Cheers.

16. lordpantsington

And I've been using this method for years. Earliest template I could find including background structure was modified in 2006.

If I had to guess: I'd say the shader is not handling a volume texture correctly and defaulting to the highest mip level, this is why it looks clearer. Sounds broken to me. If all you want is end result, BMP @ 4096x or higher.

17. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

I've been doing this sins 2004 but that's really not the point. If it's a argument or debate your looking for then I'd suggest you look elsewhere.

Now your just trying to be funny. Sorry, you failed.

18. lordpantsington

There is no point in debating. You will rarely win a battle of wills over the internet. Just make the point and provide support for it, clarify when misunderstood.

Just trying to nail down relative data points to something more absolute. For instance you refer to the "new" dds plugin. What is new to you may not be new to me. In 7 years time, the entire meaning of what is new changes. In actuality you are referring to a very specific version number.

It would be nice to have heard back from the OP. Perhaps his plugin was also from 1913 and lacked in basic functionality?

The OP, with his confusion about flattening, appears to be a novice (nothing wrong with that, we all start somewhere). I would hate for him to get stuck with only a flattened dds and template that he needs to rebuild because no precaution was given.

It's is a bit like some virus removal, you don't instantly have the end user run a powerful tool like combofix when something with a little more grace will get the job done.

I wasn't trying to be funny, so no failure there. You have another option to get what you want. While you can remove a lightbulb with a hammer, it is hardly the tool for the job, even if the end result is the same. I do not know what sort of collateral damage removing a lightbulb with a hammer would cause. Likewise, I do not know what sort of issues saving a dds intended for volume will have down the road. Might I ask what exactly you are working on that is loaded with these dds files? It is more for future reference than anything. When things go bad, look directly at what is being done that is non-standard.

19. Kevin Karas

Kevin Karas Registered

Yes Im novice in PS. Just started to skin and made some nice templates. But thats all with my Photoshop knoweledge. So what do I have to do now exactly? :p

20. lordpantsington

What version plugin are you running?
    Do you need an alpha layer?
    What version PS?
    Have you resolved the issue?