Ultra Wide monitors

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by mesfigas, Jan 6, 2019.

1. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

why i dont like ultra wide monitors?
    well first of all i never used one and never played on ultra wide monitor any sim
    but still the immersion that i get by watching yooutube videos is single screen with wider field of view!!!!
    why i say this?
    cause 2 days ago i used my second super very old monitor at the left side of mu main monitor just to get a multi monitor setup feel !!!
    old monitor=Eizo from 2003 era 17 inch TFT 16 ms
    new monitor=LG 23MP68VQ-P freesyng
    the effect from 2 monitors why cornering is super that i plan to buy a secong LG in the near future.

what is your experience guys?
    do you prefer ultra wide over triple ?

M D Gourley likes this.
  2. Flaux

Flaux Registered

I love my 21:9. No borders, FOV of 35 and still able to watch the mirrors. Its just perfect to me.

M D Gourley likes this.
  3. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

got any youtube video of you playing in this monitor any sim ?
    please send link

4. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

I've dabbled a bit with 42" 4K and triples. I like the 42" 4K best so far as the higher resolution extends the range of site to the next turn.

It really comes down to personal preference. Looking at your PC specs, I think the Samsung 32:9 would be a good choice.

M D Gourley likes this.
  5. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

i have a feeling that triples makes driving more wow for the reason that it splits the car to 3 parts.
    yes there is always a border and even small at some monitors still noticable but stil the ultra wide doesnt makes feel that m inside a real car and drive it
    i will try to find a ultra wide monitor to play a sim if i m lucky

6. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

Triple monitors tend to give me a little better depth and speed perception but to get the distance resolution I had to lower FOV to a point where looking ahead often meant glancing at a side monitor. It just seemed a bit busy with 3 monitors when doing wheel-to-wheel on one side and the next apex on the left side. Now if my eyes were say 30 years younger, I'm not sure which I would prefer today.....

M D Gourley likes this.
  7. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

@John R Denman i m 45 y.o and my eyes says triple so far BUT i will realy need to try a ultra wide aswell just to be fair at least

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  8. Emery

Emery Registered

I like triples in Multiview for being able to look out the side windows. You will never get that capability with a single monitor, no matter how wide it is. The bezel is annoying, but you get used to it. Triple projectors take care of the bezel issue, but they are no where near as bright or clear as monitors are.

But it takes GPU power & VRAM, particularly with rF2, to have triples at 1080p and higher resolution without turning down graphics settings. This is where a single ultrawide monitor or 4k TV come in. Ultrawides have the benefit of readily available high refresh rates and fast pixel response & low lag whereas you have to do a fair amount of research to find a TV with a high refresh rate (and you'll never find gsync, etc.) and TV pixel response & lag are, at best, ordinary. TVs have the benefit of coming in sizes significantly larger than ultrawides currently offer.

M D Gourley likes this.
  9. M D Gourley

M D Gourley Registered

I started out with my old 40" Plazma TV 8 or so years ago and had seen a You Tube video of a Sim Racer using Triple Screens...Wow, I thought, you can see a lot more in the Triple Screens than I could see on my old 40" Plazma. To get the same amount of information on the Plazma as on the TrScreens I had to move the seating position so far forward it was like looking through a fish eye lens...lol.
    The good thing about Triples for me personally is the immersion of course, but the 2 side monitors that are angled towards me are used to fill in your peripheral vision, so for me I am generally only looking at the center front monitor most of the time...this of course depends on how you set up your FOV. The downsides are the extra space needed and for my old monitors the thick bezel can obstruct some information like rear view mirrors (see my Sim Rig photo), but this is only because this is the way I like to set up my FOV, seeing the side , rear view and dash readouts.
    If I was to go Ultra Wide the Samsung 49" would be amazing...a few Threads that my be of interest in the rF2 Forums.
    https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/ultrawide-single-or-triples.51966/
    https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/triple-screen-help.52331/

My Triple Screen Rig below.
    SIM RIG 2x TSS with SCREENSHOT Raceroom.jpg

10. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

@M D Gourley thanks for link
    well yes the borders of monitors is an issue but i really like to watch the apex while cornering on the left monitor and to be honest i cant wait for the next apex to come so i ll look at it again
    sounds like i m triple screen guy !!!

M D Gourley likes this.
  11. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

@M D Gourley look at this but dont try it alone if you like it
    be sure you are advised from a tecknician

M D Gourley likes this.
  12. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

13. stonec

stonec Registered

The reason you get an improved sense of depth from triples is not from triples itself, it's from ticking the multiview option in rF2, which splits the view of the cockpit into three distinct viewports. Triples with multiview off is identical to a hypothetical 48:9 ratio ultrawide monitor.

mesfigas likes this.
  14. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

@stonec i cannot stop driving with my 2 monitor setup
    if i knew years ago the massive boost to immersion and lap times i would had bought 3 screens allready :)
    wow

15. Flaux

Flaux Registered

No videos, sorry. But I can take a quick picture later today.

16. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

@Flaux its ok mate i can find on youtube no worries

Flaux likes this.