Ugrade AMD R6850 to HD7970 & framerate DROPS like a stone .....

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by jonrarit, Mar 18, 2014.

1. jonrarit

jonrarit Registered

Ok guys 'ive taken about 20 screen-grabs rolling down the pit-lane at Silverstone to try and show what's happening. The FPS is capped at 60 in the plr file and as you can see in picture 1 all is goo in the pits. Then as I pull out and just roll down the pit-lane all is good at picture 2 but dropped to 40fps at picture 3 with the green graphics bar at 100% then on picture later back to normal. Again look at 13 and 14 30 fps to 60.

Picture 16-17 shows 60 fps straight down to 28 !!!

Many thanks to all the suggestions so far but Lucky's setting didn't help & no the card is definitely no clocking down - see the purple overlay of gpu load to confirm

Picture 1
    Picture 2
    Picture 3
    Picture 4
    Picture 5
    Picture 6
    Picture 7
    Picture 8
    Picture 9
    Picture 10
    Picture 11
    Picture 12
    Picture 13
    Picture 14
    Picture 15
    Picture 16
    Picture 17
    Picture 18
    Picture 19
    Picture 20
    Picture 21
    Picture 22

2. carlos leite

carlos leite Registered

I have a 7950 @ 1150 & 1500, with high setting, shadow medium, road rflexions high, 4aa
    Put everithing to application on catalistic, i run minimal on grid with twelve cars 80 fps, then can go to 200 fps.
    Everithing to application ...,,, amd 965. BE @ 4.2
    Edit 14.1 beta driver, 1 monitor @ 1920x1080

3. Luc Devin

Luc Devin Registered

Drivers 13.4

What brand card?
    Take at least the drivers of the brand.
    It knows what is best for your card

Your green progress bar is low me it is at least halfway see.

Ok I just saw your config ...
    So put additional 4G ram, You Will See a big difference.
    I think your concern is at this level.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2014
  4. jonrarit

jonrarit Registered

Ugrade AMD R6850 to HD7970 & framerate DROPS like a stone .....SOLVED!!!

hi Guys I have solved the problem and have to admit embarrassment at the solution but I will hang my head in shame in the hope that it helps others avoid the same mistake.......

There are two video card slot on my motherboard, due to the size of the new video card if I used slot one it covered the PCI slot so instead I put the new card into slot two ....... no one told me that only slot number one runs at 16X ....... slot two runs at 8X ........

Swapped over to slot 1 and card burst into life :) Cranked everything up a notch and running AA in Catalyst Control Centre I still get a rock solid 60FPS. Ad in 15 Ai's (run from a server) and it drops to about 40FPS at the start but quickly climbs back to 60FPS .......one happy puppy and oooh Silverstone is soooooo pretty :)

Thanks again for your perserverance & input chaps and for putting up with my numptyness

jonathan

5. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Yep that happened to me with an older card once, most embarrassing as I should've known better! Glad you're sorted

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Whew lol

7. osella

osella Registered

Glad you solved it!

Next time, read the manual! Nobody reads manuals to their motherboards :p

8. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Imagine yourself in front of opened computer case, with manual in one hand and your brand new, shiny, powerful graphics card in the other hand...

What do you do?

;)

9. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

And ppl still say that pci-e 3.0 @ 16x brings marginal gains of just a couple or few percent over pci-e 3.0 @ 8x / pci-e 2.0 @ 16x (same theoretical bandwidth)) just because technically, on paper, the theoretical bandwidth limit of 3.0 @ 8x / 2.0 @ 16x is still extremely high. I've seen enough evidence over the past 2-3 years that I would never want to have a card in pci-e 3.0 @ 8x /pci-e 2.0 @ 16x, I don't care how far we are from saturating it theoreticaly speaking on paper.

One of those cases where general benchmark reviews don't usually tell the whole story.