Tyres under-heating/over-cooling

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by dylbie, Aug 23, 2016.

1. dylbie

dylbie Registered

Evening all,

I'm making a small single seater type car but I'm having issues with the tyres that I'm using. They seem to be barely getting above 60°C unless I'm spinning or sliding. In normal driving conditions, ie not crashing, the tyres just cool down far too much and end up back between 50-60°.

I even tried different tyres on my car, ones from: ISI F3, Palatov, ASR Squadro Corse, and the Skippy. I even tried the Palatov car and the tyres don't heat up on that car either.

So the questions are: do cars with low weight (mine is 420kg)and no downforce generally not generate enough heat in their tyres? Is this accurate to real life too? And also is there a line in the TGM which can boost the heating for cars with no weight?

Ta very much...

2. Raintyre

Raintyre Registered

Yes, tyre heating depends a lot on load over the tyres.

There are different things you can try to increase tyre average temperature. I think these are the easiest:

('Realtime' section on your tgm file)
    DampingHeatEnergy=( , , ) >>> increase to obtain more rolling heat (sidewall ,carcass , tread)
    ExternalGasHeatTransfer=( , , ) >>> reduce to reduce heat loss to air
    GroundContactConductance=( , ) >>> reduce to reduce heat loss to ground

You can also replace specific heat and conductivity for every material on every tgm node.

TreadMaterial=( , , , , , X, X)

But this is more difficult to handle. You can reduce specific heat to increase heating rate when sliding, but possibly you also will increase cooling rate when tyre is not sliding. And layers interchange temperatures in complex ways so it is not easy to get what you want.

I think 'Dampingheatenergy' is your parameter!

3. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Yes, it is ;) The tire from the real car (your single seater) shows tire temps around 60°-70° and real driver reported, that they have to slide to reach those temps...