Tyre wear + current lap times

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hany Alsabti, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Hany Alsabti

Hany Alsabti Registered

Hi I Have some questions to ask.

1. Is tyre wear enabled in the beta? if yes, how do you see it?

I would like to run a endurance race and was wondering how long the meganes tyres will last.

2. How can I see my current lap times while racing? I can only see fastest lap.

Seeing current lap times is the way to check my pace during a race.

Sorry for my English

2. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

Tyre wear is enabled, you can see it in the same LCD-screen as tyre temps. Though because of a bug the colors might not actually work, so for now you're pretty screwed on that part. But you don't need that info really, you should be able to feel when the tyres are done for. =)

3. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

Hany, your English is great ;)

It's difficult to ascertain the effect of tyre wear with RealRoad since the track becomes faster with more rubber down. Also, if you have variable weather, it is similarly difficult to know if lap-time is being effected by it.

In essence, lap-time is not a good way now to judge the effect of tyre wear since everything is always changing. Hence it's now all about 'feel'. I'd imagine it would only be obvious that tyre wear is effecting lap-time when the tyres go off big time, losing seconds rather than tenths.

One way to test it is to keep conditions the same weather-wise and crank up the tyre wear to x7. Keep running around and hopefully you'll feel the loss of grip.

Must admit, I haven't run anywhere near a full distance race so don't know the effect.

4. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

FWIW, in a thread on another forum someone ran something like 150+ laps of Joesville in one of the 60's cars to check the tyre wear. The graphical representation of tyre wear looked nice and he said that still at that point he could get within 0.5 seconds of his best times on the rubbered in line. On the green parts of the track the grip was just atrocious.

5. coops

coops Banned

we still dont have the finished tyre mod yet and i expect it will be a lot diff to now

6. Grotesk

Grotesk Registered

i think the tyre temperatures need to be fixed we are always at 40° Celsius....thats not the optimum so the lap times that are now driven will not be the same with 90° celsius...or how is it programmed??

7. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

This is already a known problem and has been addressed many times over: Not all of the things that should heat the tyres are turned on. At the moment the only thing that heats them up is slip, whether it's giving too much gas, locking the brakes, sliding, or understeering heavily, that's all. For example you can come down the main straight of Mills at full tilt, brake after the 200 marker and stop in time for the first hairpin, and if you just make sure you don't lock the brakes at all your temps won't rise and might even go down. That's why it's so hard to get them up to operating them and keep them there, especially since the temperature is modeled both on the surface and in the carcass, meaning the surface temps can change quickly while the carcass stays cool. Loading the tyres doesn't warm them at all at this moment, but it will be addressed in the future.