Tyre sounds missing?

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by jubuttib, Mar 7, 2012.

1. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

I've tried this with the F1, F2 and the Megane, and it seems to me that even if I set tyre volume to maximum, there aren't any tyre noises. Depending on the car the tyre noise can be even louder than the engine (especially in street cars), even during normal cornering. Makes it a fair bit harder to push the car to the limits, when the first sign of slip are the rapidly heating tyres.

Anyone else encountered this?

And additionally, is it possible to make the starting horns louder and give them a higher priority over other sounds? When starting at the back of the grid over at Mills the horn is very soft at best and the lights are too far to really be visible, and sometimes the horn sounds don't play at all, apparently being bumped by some other sounds (I've set number of effects to maximum).

2. GreekSchumi

GreekSchumi Registered

To tell you the truth I never thought of the tire sounds before now and you are right. BUT I mostly race with the Renault3.5 and it is not made to go sideways so I understand why it is too late when I hear it.

Now the starting horns should be a little louder but there is an add on you can install and have the flags on your screen (HUD). It is an easy fix for now.

3. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

Good to hear I'm not the only one.

Going sideways is just one part of the equation, I can't hear the tyres struggle for grip when braking either and it's easy to turn the wheel too much and induce understeer, because I can't hear what's happening up there.

Sounds are a big thing for me when driving, and I think tyre sounds could be more important for me than engine sounds (not for feel but for performance). In rF1 with default settings I'd been driving one particular car around Nords getting times around 7:30.00. After I tried some PLR-file sound settings from a friend that made the tyre scrub and slide noises louder I was getting better feedback about what the car was doing, and after a few laps I got down to 7:20 and under. Without really knowing it I had been turning the wheel too much during cornering (not much but slightly) and now that I could hear the tyres start to scrub too much I could ease off. That also helped with corner exists, because the car didn't oversteer as easily as before on exits, and I could step on the throttle much earlier with confidence. I could also hear the rear tyres start to slip when I applied too much gas, and could quickly counter this. Also helped with corner entries, because I could better hear what was happening under braking. So just upping the tyre noises made my corner entry, mid corner and corner exit performance much better, and I have the lap times to show for it.

And about the horn, I don't really like the idea of getting additional lights in the hud. If I can't see the lights then so be it, I'm too far back and should have qualified better. =) The horn could be louder, but the main problem is that sometimes not all of the horn sounds are played at all, even if I'm right up there in front. I'd hope that the sound system would force the horn samples to play even if it meant skipping some other sounds, because those horns are pretty important.

4. Terence Groening

Terence Groening Registered

It's true, they are missing from some cars. I believe somebody around here is working on it ...

5. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

Wouldn't have thought otherwise, good to hear it's not just an isolated thing on my comp. =)

6. Nils

Nils Registered

7. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

Thanks! I tried searching the forums but the search function is pretty borked (though I understand they've been fixing it, might work better now), so I couldn't find anything.