Tyre care?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Amanda Santini, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Amanda Santini

Amanda Santini Registered

Having read a bit about rFactor 2, I noticed people tend to say they need to manage their tyre more than in other simulators. Some people came from other simulators, began doing really good laps at first, but at around mid race were losing 1 or 2 seconds per lap because of tyre wear and ended up losing positions because of this.

Since I'm new to rFactor 2, I must ask: for a good pace and tyre conservation, should I hear any scrubbing at all while on corners? Or is some scrubbing OK? On Assetto Corsa I can do 2:15:9 on SPA with the C7R and soft tyres, but on rFactor 2 with the C6R (or worse, the C7R from URD) and the laser-scanned SPA (which is the same track as on AC), if I intentionally drive to the point of not hearing any scrubs I do 2:24.
    With the 997R GT3 from Apex Modding I can manage 2:17/2:18 while almost not hearing any scrubbing at all.

And also: what is the maximum temperature you would allow your tyres to reach? On that double left hand corner at SPA, my tyres sometimes reach 150-200 degrees if I'm too aggressive, but that only lasts for about 2 seconds.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  2. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Sure you should hear tyre scrubbing! And it´s normal that in some situations temps can rise that high.
    But don´t be too excessive! Ramp tyre sounds up in options so you better hear what tyre is doing.
    You propably need some league with people who are experienced.

Amanda Santini likes this.
  3. Emery

Emery Registered

Different series will have different tires, so don't assume tires respond the same in all series. Brief skyrocketing surface temps are okay, provided you didn't do that under braking and thus created a flatspot. In general, yes, you should hear a little scrubbing.

Tire heat often affects grip more than tire wear, though there are exceptions like the stockcar tires. I can pull about 3 spectacular oval laps with the stockcars before the tires are overheated and useless; they may or may not be worn out depending on how badly I scrubbed them and if they're not worn out, then you just have to wait for them to cool down.

4. Daniele Vidimari

Daniele Vidimari Registered

From what i know, the temps you see in the bottom right menu refer to the tyre surface, this is why you see them reach those high values.
    So, big scrub, quick temperature rise, quick cool down to the real tire temperature.
    More is the tire load, more the temperature will rise. (for examle the Pouhon corner as you said)

5. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Avoid tyre lock and use motec to check at which turns you may be locking your tires. Depending on the track and the car you have to identify which tire is critical. In some cases the difference is so substantial that you should take care only in some corners while in others you can push harder.

In motec you will easily find tire locks due to the dramatic change of slope for tire wear.

6. Amanda Santini

Thanks everyone.

I just don't know if my lap time with the C7R is good enough. I can't get pass 2:20, the car feels like it has no grip at all, the same with the C6R. I will push harder.
    I wish I knew how to see the state of the tyres (degradation wise). I'll do some research.

With the 997R GT3 (AMGT3) I managed a 2:16:92 in the lase-scanned SPA, I had to turn the AI all the way up to 117% and yet I was still first so I guess I'll need 120% for that track. Feels good doing OK laps in rFactor 2 :)

7. Emery

Emery Registered

Standard HUD has 5 or 6 little tire wear dots, just inside the surface temperatures. The green dots go black as the tire wears. I'll paste a picture as soon as I can find one...

upload_2017-8-13_17-57-52.png

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  8. Amanda Santini

Thanks a lot, @Emery! :) I thought that was wear but I wasn't sure. I am now.

9. Stevy

Stevy Registered

For myself i have the rule, if the tyre gets yellow you're doing it wrong.

10. Mister Bronze

Mister Bronze Registered

Based on that video I'll let Mr. Vettel know next time I see him :p ;)

I'm still exploring tyre wear myself so watching this thread with interest. My Tyre/car graphic is slightly different (gt car shape)? In DX11 I can see the green blocks go white and shrink and when they do it generally means I've flat spotted and I can feel the vibration through the wheel. I did see the blocks go Yellow once after some lapping of Nords and presumed it was time for new boots.

11. ceecee

ceecee Registered

Run rFactor2 Log Analyzer ver. 2. With offline and league Championship Manager if you want more tyre data.
    https://forum.studio-397.com/index....hampionship-manager.48117/page-37#post-907023

Amanda Santini and Emery like this.
  12. Amanda Santini

Just note that thermal cameras display temperature difference which is calibrated by the staff, so it could be that there's not really much difference between purple and yellow. I don't know if rFactor 2 tyre monitor follows the same principle of if yellow means "reeeeally hot".

13. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

those green tyre wear dots,do they represent inner middle and outer ,or just the whole tyre as one

14. Emery

Emery Registered

I don't know. I've always assumed they were the whole tire without questioning it, LOL.

patchedupdemon likes this.
  15. Amanda Santini

They go black? Mine are always going white o_O

16. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

I may have missed this feature in the garage,but I think it would be helpful for us to see. Or only inner middle out temps,but also wear,or is it enough with rf2 tyre model to judge the wear by the temps.

I know in iracing you can't set cambers by temps,but only wear,because the only the outside reading takes into account for the side wall,like the tyre only has one of them lol

17. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

The way to manage tyre wear in macro terms (over a race) is to have front/rear temps as even as possible.
    Excessive temps at either end means excessive wear and a loss of performance. Whichever end is overheating needs attention as it means a lack of grip as well as wear.
    Whatever gives you greater grip will give you lower tyre temps and less wear.
    Use setup to add grip to the end that is overheating.
    (There is a great setup guide for sale @€5 :) )

Once the grip balance is ok (usually its understeer out of the box as its easier to drive) then you need to manage within a lap to avoid wear.Avoid Lock ups under brakes, Be as smooth as possible with a good line. Watch steering inputs to avoid excessive slip angle.
    Brake bias has a big impact, too far fwds will overload fronts. As far back as possible will give the fronts a break.
    Managing tyre wear is a skill. I have been in races where some ppl will do it better than others.