Two sided texture, shadows and lighting

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Mulero, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Mulero

Mulero Registered

Hi, I'm having some problems with a two sided texture for a grid metal fence.

Selecting two sided texture, shadows are cast only in one direction. If the sun gives him from behind the shadow is correct, but if the sun gives him ahead, there is no shadow. I tried unchecking Two sided and so does.

[​IMG]

Another problem I have found is that the sun does not illuminate correctly the texture when selecting two sided texture. The texture looks exactly the same when the sun is in front or behind.

[​IMG]

Both problems have easy solution, you just need to double the polygon, flip and use a normal texture, but I wonder if two sided textures working well, if it's a game issue or if I am that I am doing wrong.....

Thanks!!!

2. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

We're not using two-sided materials for those reasons. If the sun can't see a physical triangle, that triangle won't cast a shadow. Even if you use two-sided, the triangle itself will still be facing only one way (i.e. the way you modeled it).

Same with lighting. This was also a problem in rF1 IIRC.

3. Mulero

Mulero Registered

Thanks for the explanation Luc. He supposed it was, but wanted to make sure it was not me I was doing something wrong. :)