TV gaming mode or TV settings to reduce latency or optimise a car simulation

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by dadaboomda, Aug 22, 2017.

1. dadaboomda

dadaboomda Registered

Hello everyone.

I have a question that I have not been able to answer.

Basically, putting a TV in game mode (backlit LCD, 60 hz, 52 ") can improve the gaming experience (THAT'S SIMULATION).

Some details :
    ---> game mode involves in particular disabling relatively successful functions like:
    * Sharpness (oddly very low in this mode, we see less details of the road)
    * Noise Reduction AND MPEG Noise: Off
    * Movie Mode: Off
    * Black Correction: Off
    * Advanced Contrast Enhancement: Disabled
    * Automatic Current Limiter: Off
    * White Correction: Disabled
    * Natural Color: Off

I set myself a custom mode identical to the game mode with just one modification: very high sharpness instead of very low.

Knowing nothing about it, I assume that theoretically the algorithms that must constantly turn so that the adjustments of images can be modified in real time have an effect on the processor of the television ... by creating DE LATENCE which I think is bad in a simulation ??! (Eg black and white correction, advanced contrast enhancement, automatic intensity limiter, etc.)

I can keep the vsync activated creating latency, I would not add.

PS: the TV is 7 years old.

Thank you for your opinion.

2. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Very interesting topic. Probably not the first time it is addressed. In order to check for display lag you can try to record yourself with a high speed camera if your mobile phone allows it. I think iphone records up to 240 fps (4 ms time step). My phone only does 120 fps so (8 ms time step) so I guess would be in the limit in order to properly measure lag.

Swerve the wheel to both sides and check for average difference between real and virtual.

Flaux likes this.
  3. dadaboomda

dadaboomda Registered

Hello.

I go back to the subject.

Would anyone have the technical knowledge to tell me if it is likely or not that the "visual enhancements" of the TV create a latency?

Thank you.

PS: I do not have a camera / smartphone to do what @SPASKIS has proposed to do.

4. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

the visual improvements of a tv do delay logically ,

5. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

The only thing I’ve ever heard on iracing forum is that tv’s are very bad for competitive gaming,David Tucker if there has made very long posts detailing no matter the tv setting they will always have huge latency compared to a gaming monitor.
    Not that t helps this topic,but I don’t even know if vsync will add much latency that you will notice a huge difference,because it’s a tv with huge latency anyway.

I say huge latency but I don’t even know what would class as huge latency or what the tick rate is between the graphics and physics in rf2,I seem to remember David tucker saying that lower latency is better but for iracing if your under 16ms there won’t be a disconnect between your inputs and what you see and the physics.

6. Nielsen

Nielsen Registered

It depends also on the brand and panel technology.
    Plasma and oled should potentially give the lowest lag - at least if the game mode closes down all the artificial picture enhancing features.
    The german PcGame&HW set an unofficial game acceptable lag level for TVs 0f 25-45 ms.
    Here is another TV compare:
    http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/input-lag

7. dadaboomda

dadaboomda Registered

Your opinions are interesting, thank you.

I'm starting to understand that I need to optimize my TV, at least activate the GAME mode.

8. Nielsen

Nielsen Registered

Just a further thing. Im myself wondering if I should use my TV for gaming(rF2/R3E) because I have a great Panasonic plasma.
    But couldnt find the game mode in the menus.
    But then I found that this menu item only is displayed if a console or a PC is connected to the TV via a HDMI cable.
    Just saying if you cannot find the similiar mode on your TV;)

9. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

the problem of the tv is the delay that it has, 40 milliseconds that it can increase with the effects of processing to improve the images,
    can be used of course, but will have lag since you turn the steering wheel until you do it on the screen,