Turbo model

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by doddynco, Sep 21, 2020.

1. doddynco

doddynco Registered

Are we able to induce a vacuum between the throttle and intake valve?

I'm building a turbo engine and I am expecting to see the pressure drop briefly (see the video) before the turbo spools, but my absolute boost never goes under 1 bar.

I'd also expect that when the the throttle is closed and the car is coasting, for the intake manifold to pull a vacuum as the remaining air/fuel mix is drawn into the cyclinders.

1m:50s

It's like the rf2 model doesn't simulate (or show on the boost gauge) the vacuum created between the throttle and the intake valve. The intake manifold is ignored as a component. We already know the pre-throttle pressure, the throttle position, intake per revolution, and rpm, then the only other figure needed in the engine.ini to give a decent approximation of manifold pressure is the volume of the manifold (which could be sensibly estimated)

Interestingly, in on of the dev updates, they pointed out that 'RamPressure, now, instead of a direct influence on torque / power, ram air now builds up air pressure at the intake.' This is obviously pre-throttle pressure.

Also, there is a line in the engine.ini called:

WastegateBoostMeasurement= // 0=intake manifold, 1=pre-throttle (this is the default), no other choices at this time

This would suggest that the manifold pressure is modelled but I would expect to see some vacuum readings when this is set to zero, but the setting makes no difference. Though it might be that this line is purely for the wastegate boost management rather than the boost meter. I also don't know how they know the intake manifold pressure without knowing the intake manifold volume from the engine.ini.