Trying to understand the new Broadcast Custom Cameras

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by ebeninca, Mar 23, 2023.

1. ebeninca

ebeninca Registered

Hi,

I activated the new functionally "Broadcast Custom Cameras" on player.json, but I don't understand how it works, Is it an unfinished feature? Or am I missing something? The user guide doesn't explain.

The first thing I was expecting is to have is a button on photo mode to save the cameras in separate cam files both for car and track in "UserData\Cameras", but it doesn't exists, and no cam files are created automatically when you load a car/circuit combo in game.

So, I don't have a clue on how to create this file, Is it the same format as the cam files in devmode? How can I edit the official S397 track/car cams in devmode?

Anyway, even if I could edit on devmode, it would be much more easier and accessible to anyone if we just had on photo mode one option to create a new file with all current existing cams, and another to save/replace in the existing file all the camera positions modifications we do.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2023
  2. Goanna

Goanna Registered

Dunno that it works in Dev mode....haven't tried but this in the json file leads me to believe not.
    upload_2023-3-23_16-23-54.png

So what i did to try this in retail was;
    1. create Cameras folder under userdata...for me full path is C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\UserData\Cameras
    2. tested with Sebring, so went to ...\rFactor 2\Installed\Locations\Sebring_2018\1.55 and opened layoutFull.mas to extract the cam file to the newly created Cameras folder.
    I didn't make any changes to the cam file, I just wanted to see if the game was going to load it and sure enough it did...this from trace file;
    upload_2023-3-23_16-29-43.png

ebeninca likes this.
  3. Alex Sawczuk

Alex Sawczuk Administrator Staff Member

It is not really a fully functional feature as in you have a full camera editor in retail and you can pull those in. That would take quite a lot of development time.
    It is mostly just a way for broadcast teams to be able to use different cameras for content with out requiring updates to content for everyone.
    If you want to edit the cameras of the content you need to extract them manually.
    You can then use the cam editor on the content in ModDev if required. Or make manual adjustments to the cam file yourself.

ebeninca likes this.
  4. ebeninca

ebeninca Registered

Ok, got it, thx guys!!