Trucks...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cjm51213, Dec 17, 2011.

1. cjm51213

cjm51213 Registered

Hi Folks,

I have an unusual application and I need some advice. We are building a simulator for a TRUCK. Yes, an 18-wheel truck...

So, first question, can specify a car weighing 35,000 pounds and has the other characteristics of a truck? (-:

Second question, is there a library where I can subscribe to events, like, "You're off the track, dummy!" so I can make my simulator react accordingly -- like shake.

Assuming the answer to either or both questions is, "Yes." then I will need a bit of advice where to go to get started.

Thanks for the help,

Chris.

P.S. I hope I can also use the library to make calls the will allow me to configure the "track". Driving a truck and having all those Indy cars whizzing past is just adding insult to injury. (-:

2. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

There is already a mod with racing trucks. Search at rfactorcentral.com

As for actually providing your track's parameters into rFactor physics - you have to google for W_Bradshaw posts. As there is no official documentation for ISI, prepare yourself for some improvisation ;-)

3. Martin Keets

Martin Keets Registered

What.... oh wait

4. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Keep in mind that cars in rFactor are single solid object, so your truck will act more less like a bus.

5. IMSA GTP

IMSA GTP Registered

rFactor does a lot of cool things but scaling up or down from the typical race car may yield some unexpected results.

Rigs of Rods has been used to build Mining Truck & Excavator simulators with some limited success.

Immersion Technologies in Oz also has a pretty good package.

Training simulators especially when used to qualify an operator are also vulnerable to lawsuits in the event of an accident or if it affects employment status of the person behind the virtual wheel.