Trouble with the 85 update.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Navigator, May 28, 2012.

1. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Finally I get time to update RF2 and now, trouble!

First of all, when you are not "in the scene" 24/7, you don't understand and have to read a few hundred topics here on how to (I just asked). Then you do get the update installed as described, then you don't see the 1.1 and 1.2 files from the cars; they are really there, I saw!

So, tried to run the game without them and just the 1.0 of all the cars (including the new ones) and then; "program doesn't work"..........

I mean REALLY??
    Is it so hard to make a game one can install without having a degree?

I'm not a complete nOOb, but I don't keep up here 24/7 and it seems you have to otherwise, you can't play the game.

There will be people who don't agree with me, but that's okay; I just want to play the game and don't want to put days in it to get it to run; even though it is a beta, I should be able to install it in a decent manner; agree with me or not.

2. Spyder

Spyder Registered

Are you asking for help or just having a moan??

3. blakboks

blakboks Registered

I agree with you...but...there's some things to keep in mind:

Most importantly as has been said, probably literally, 100's of times on these forums so far, this is a "beta" (a.k.a. Work In Progress). This "beta" is being marketed toward their diehard fans--those of us who do spend a good portion of our days on the forums, and those of us who were planning on purchasing it no matter what. As such, it's not really 'just' an open beta, it has a different focus (which is constantly changing), but it's designed to get as many bugs out of the system as possible. So, that means that there's going to be bugs in the system--not only the core game .exe, but also their mod delivery, dependency, and updating system. I believe they have already admitted (sorry, don't have exact post, atm) that this most recent round of updates hasn't exactly gone as smoothly as they'd have liked, and that they hope to have the kinks out by the time it reaches Gold.

So, yes, it's a well-known and well-documented issue. Believe me, if we're still having these issues after the game goes Gold, I'll be singing a different tune, myself. Let's be patient and wait to see what happens with subsequent updates.

4. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Not just having a moan, that's not what a forum is for and of course I want to play the game so yes; want some help please.

Now I found out that when there is a star in front of the mod, there is also an update to be ran and after that; it works.
    I am not one to moan about a manual or something, but this was very much easier when documented well in the downloads section or something like that; a sticky topic from ISI where someone can find it properly and not having to search a lot of topics.

5. Pits

Pits Registered

I recognized you were not moaning, it takes a brave man these days to come here and take for granted that reaching out in desperation would elicit a helpful response. Join a club and ask for help there, like minded un-jaded people inside the club do help without having to give an apology for asking. I think we all now absolutely know without any doubt that this is indeed a BeTa..I'm sure we will be reminded again, and again.
    Navigator, I can't help sorry, I'm not savvy on these things but our club is, just PM me if you want a club, the guys their do know "stuff"

6. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

Should one follow the instructions, b85 only takes minutes to install{once you have the content}.

7. Navigator

Navigator Registered

And where does it say about the stars in front of the mod to install? How am I supposed to know and where to find that?
    How many HOURS to find that?

8. GTrFreak

GTrFreak Registered

IMHO you've made your point. At first when I read your post I was asking myself the same as Spyder did.. BUT I understand your point completely. I just think ISI shouldn't put a huge amount of effort anymore in making some documentation about installing mods etc. Because this may change eventually, who knows. I think you should use the help a lot of people would like to give you to get your copy of rF2 running. By the time rF2 goes gold there will be a manual and other documentation, for sure.

9. MarcG

MarcG Registered

That star column needs an "Update" header instead!

10. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

The update "star" was very straightforward to figure out. I launched the manager, saw a star there, hovered my mouse on it and it said "Update". This sort of stuff is almost as commonplace as it gets in the PC world.

11. TonyD

TonyD Registered

Navigator, have you solved your problem? There are many here that are willing and able to help, but it would be easier to offer advice if you are specific about any issue that you are having. To run Build 85 you need to have all of the latest versions of the RFMOD (car/track) files in the same folder as the original versions, and each of them updated in the mod manager.

Someone who is in front of his gaming pc (I am not) could even walk you through the process if necessary.

12. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Aahh I did not know that, knew it was for updating anyway as an ISI member said so when beta was first released.

Seems the trends of people with problems is from updating build69 instead of doing a fresh install, and in beta its always advisable to do a fresh install as things can get corrupt. What I do anyway and it works!

13. F2kSel

F2kSel Registered

Like the OP I haven't touched this since the 69build came out, I also tried a couple of installs previously on different drives to try and fix a problem. This has left me with bits and pieces all over the place so deciding where to place stuff is a bit of a guess.

In the menu where it says setmods path I have three locations listed, I don't see anyway to delete the old paths.
    In the main menu once they're loaded it does give the full path for the mods but not for the ALL Tracks and Cars so right now I don't know where it's getting that info from, if it's the same as packages I could delete all other folders and directories.

14. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

From what I've seen it's very often either a corrupted file issue or trying to run the game before having EVERYTHING installed and updated, often caused by corrupted files and people being too impatient to try again. Surely there are other bugs, but those are the two major ones I've seen.

And yes, Torrents are the best for this stuff.

I don't have a lot of user mods, but at least All Cars by F1Elites.com, Megane_at_SearspointRW, Tims rTrainer Mod, MidOhio_VirtuaLM, Putnam Park, SearspointRW and Snetterton300 didn't affect the update process.

15. MarcG

MarcG Registered

yeah I only use the torrents as well, not installed any unofficial mods/tracks yet but I dont expect problems when I do.

16. blakboks

blakboks Registered

That little star is not very visible at all. Even having gone through the updating process since the original release, I find that it takes me a moment or two to figure out what to do again. I can't imagine someone who's not as familiar with computers and/or has vision problems trying to figure it out. There really needs to be something much more noticeable like highlighting the mods that require updates and putting in bold text Update Available or something along those lines.

There are a ton of resources out there on the net about usability. I don't want to sound too critical of ISI, I know they've got a lot on their plates, but they could do well to bone up on user interface design.

17. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

In the release version, sure. Right now it's a very minor issue compared to others.

18. blakboks

blakboks Registered

Sure, definitely. I don't expect to see it fixed in the next update. Though, it can be done concurrently with everything else that's being worked on. Really, it's something that should have been addressed/caught in pre-production. Gjon and the team have said that their whole reason for doing the rFMod system was for usability. It seems kind of silly to do something so overly complex and ultimately user un-friendly, yet ignore so many other little things like this, which would go a long way toward making it a more enjoyable experience. It doesn't matter how good the simulation is if there are users who never make it into the sim itself because they can't figure out menus or configuration, or get frustrated trying to do it.

19. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

I don't own rf1, but I'm 100% with every single rf2 build/mod....so make the effort to find the install instructions, I assume they're here or otherwise goto the RACEDEPARTMENT rf2 forums and use the exact install instructions that I did.

20. Birddogg66

Birddogg66 Registered

I think the whole update process is a pain it the butt having to update each mod individually what happens when there are 30 mods getting updates that will be a nightmare.