triple screen UPDATE ??????????

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by coops, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Paul_Ceglia

Paul_Ceglia Registered

ok, so you have to physical move your monitors and when the G-rail becomes straight there's your angle, interesting way of doing things. If I knew how to make plugins I would try to make a FOV one just for purpose of automating this process. Ive been playing rF2 since release and never knew that I could change the side monitor angle to match the physical angle for multiview.

2. sFactor

sFactor Registered

I run triple screens exclusively without multiview because I am an ATI guy and I need every frame I can get in RF2. I have tried it just to see if it is really "all that" and for the expense of running it, it is not. As many have said, the side monitors only provide me some peripheral vision as I am focused on what is in front of me 95% of the time. I prefer smooth fluid display over a guard rail looking a bit kinked. Quite frankly, in the heat of a race, I never notice the anomaly, perhaps because I am so used to it.

3. Paul_Ceglia

Paul_Ceglia Registered

i agree but if you have the resources to use it than its worth it but fps always takes top priority

4. HKF0x

HKF0x Registered

In straight line the lateral screens are kinda useless, but when you approach a corner you don't look the apex on your side monitors ?
    Personally that's where the deformation with multiview off become a problem.

According to the last community Q&A from August 20th, 2013
    They work on full triple screens support with adjustable angles, bezel and correct FOV :

Cant wait to finally get rid of the stretched / wrong angled side monitors. :D

5. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I partly agree with you :). However to me the fact remaims that many months later in AC I still can't get a proper triple screen picture, where in RFactor 2, RFactor 1 and RF1 based sims it LITERALLY took me less than 1 minute. I just clicked multiview, moved my chair a few Inches forward until the car dash, mirrors, etc all looked perfect rather then kinked, and bam straight to driving.

I have no idea what this setting does, sounds very interesting, however it will only give you a perfect image when your monitors are angled at 22.5 IF your in-game FOV and your eye-distance-to-monitor match.

Try it out for yourself. Move your head closer and further, look how the image changes from perfect straight lines/view, to everything looking like its bent/kinked inwards, and to everything looking like it's bent/kinked outwards.

It's a combination of your monitors' angles, the horizontal distance from your eyes to your monitor, and your in-game FOV. There is no 1 magic setting.

If you are running a low FOV then you need to be able to see apex points, exit points, and just whats going on up ahead through your 2 side monitors. Triple screens, especially with multiview on, allows you to do this while simultaneously using a relatively low FOV.

If a guard rail looks kinked then just change the distance to your monitor, change the angle of your monitors, or change the FOV, or any combination. It will look perfect, or very close to, and definitely infinitely better than multiview off.

Also, I believe multiview on gives you quite a bit more peripheral vision than multiview off.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2014
  6. Knight of Redemption

Knight of Redemption Registered

Spinelli you nailed it, once I grasped those three things, my view with triples was nigh on perfect, and as you say, you look into corners and exit points very naturally into the side monitors, and cars coming up beside appear in your peripheral, the race for a corner becomes so much more involving. I tried multi view off once looking for some more FPS...Soon put it back and dropped a couple of settings instead.

Just map the POV adjustment to the keyboard, and with that and seat adjustment mapped too, you can soon get the view right.

7. Narrowbackwing

Narrowbackwing Registered

Edit , wrong tread ,lol

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2014
  8. Timpie Claessens

Timpie Claessens Registered

And in AC or iRacing you replace 3-4 numbers ingame and the picture looks perfect without having to rebuild your entire rig... Which is the better one?
    If you can't get AC to look normal it's your lack of measuring skills, not the game.

9. HKF0x

HKF0x Registered

AC triple screens "support" is far to be perfect, the only difference between single screen and triple screens rendering is the resized HUD and adjustable angle for lateral monitors,
    lateral screens are still very distorted. And no matter if you use triple or single screen setting in the menu, the image is exactly the same..

Look at the the size of the red/white dot :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The only thing missing on rf2 is the adjustable angle for multiview, then triple screens support will be perfect, i just hope it will come before oculus rift.

10. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

It seems to me that there is only one specific head height position that gets all the kinks out and it is a couple of inches below screen center. Have you noticed that? I can get it to look "perfect" (no kinks) but I have to slouch in my chair. Which brings up the point in general that with angled monitors you are required to sit at one specific height to have the "perfect" view. With straight monitors (multi off) head height doesn't matter because kinking can't happen. That's a small "plus". But don't get me wrong, I'd use multiview if it wasn't a major FPS killer.

11. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

That may make the view perfect but not the "support". Give me back my 20FPS and the then the support can be perfect.

12. Slamfunk3

Slamfunk3 Registered

Is that really the case? That's exactly the observation I made, if I slouch in my seat it all evens out. I run with 25 fov and have my monitors set up a little low as I like to see a bit of the dash. I've played around with the seat pitch setting and at -2.5 the view matches up perfectly with my real world tests. No matter what I do though I cannot seem to get a consistent straight line across all screens. Not a big deal because while at speed it all looks very natural and I don't notice it. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas or other settings?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I577 using Tapatalk

13. Marvin Morgan

Marvin Morgan Registered

I'm curious, which game doesn't take a hit with multiview?

14. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

All games takes a hit but when there is no support to SLI/Grossfre or triple screen takes rFactor2 huge hit.
    Just to info, I have about 50 racing games in my PC and are able to play all other games with high settings 120fps res. 5760x1080.

15. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

lolll.. if I turn on the multi view option I would have 5fps! multi view Off is the only way to keep playing rf2 with a decent fps! With AC I can use multi view with constant 65fps.

16. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

I think I read here that iracing has very little fps hit with multiview. Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

17. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Not sure about head height I havent really noticed, I doubt I am perfectly centre heignt to the screen but I should be pretty darn close. That should not affect your ability in finding the perfect view . I can barely drive without multiview, just too much distortion, I keep trying it because I love GT Legends but I just can't do it.

Asetto Corsa still supports proper independent triple screen viewpoints. The difference is that you can manipulate each screens' images with all the settings. So unlike RFactor based games where you just click "multiview" and you get a perfect non distorted image, in AC its a up to you to adjust 4 different variables, so you can really screw things up with the image without the correct numbers in all 4 variables. You can get crazy distortion, crazy kinking, everything. However with the right variables it is visually no different than RFactor's instant "plug & play" method.

It's no different than having those 4 variables to adjust the Image of a single screen only, you can still make that stretch and distort with bad settings, a way too high FOV, etc.

Technically speaking evwry image on the screen distorts, even on a single monitor, but it's hardly visible to the naked high, especially when using low FOVs like us simracers mostly use.

AC still uses true independent triple viewports (known as "multiview" in RFactor based sims.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2014
  18. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

That's wrong. Rendering 3 screens separately is always a big fps hit.

I've never understood the big deal with three screens since you're still looking out the middle screen almost all of the time.

19. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I am always looking to my apex points and then my exit points as I am just beginning my turn in, so sometimes im looking ahead to the exit on approach before even the turn-in. The lower the FOV is, the more and more you'll have to be doing that. I am at a FOV of 25 and when I start going lower it'll just get worse.

20. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

...and I thought my 44 fov was narrow. :p