triple screen UPDATE ??????????

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by coops, Oct 2, 2013.

1. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Well, in terms of looking it is better with multiview On(it is more realistic), but having 3 diffirent rendering in 3 screens costs a lot of terms of graphic processing and GPU!
    With multiview Off you have an unique rendering in the 3 screens, so it is less fps demanding!
    With this last build rf2 is unplayable with multiview On(like 10fps:rolleyes::mad:) while with multiview Off, it is much better(32-45fps) and it was much better before this last build!

2. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Never used multi view ( or AA ) wasted fps ,

I use a low fov (eyes 60cm from center screen ) so multi view doesn't really help much & just wastes fps

3. RJames

RJames Registered

Same here, don't personally see the point in using so much resources on two screens you barely look at.

Also run a low FOV 30 i think or lower which is perfect with nothing distorted.

4. Andy Bonar

Andy Bonar Registered

Ok thanks for that. Only had a quick spin at Silverstone on the new build last night and fps was down to 24 coming out of the pits....
    Just wish I could find the elusive sweet spot.
    Currently using Nvidia indpector to do some of the work but would rather be able to do it in game.
    Will try multiview off tonight...

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

5. Duarte Pires

Duarte Pires Registered

FIX MULTIVIEW, I've moved to ASSETTO CORSA because I can't play this :/

6. Narrowbackwing

Narrowbackwing Registered

Game play in Assetto Corsa / feel / physics / lack of everything else is s,h,i,t lol needs at least another year , se ya back here after you play it for an hour lol.

Edit , And this multii view in all sims never looks good , I just don't get it .
    When I have it enabled it looks like someone kicked my mirrors outwards :)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2014
  7. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

Be sure to line your monitors up in a straight line, no angling the outer ones. And use low FOV, in the 25-30 range depending on monitor size, distance, etc.

8. Narrowbackwing

Haha didn't know that

9. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

That's what you do when you're not using multiview - you have one, wide view.
    The purpose of multivies is to allow having 3 views, so 3 monitors at different angle. Of course configuration of multiview must match placement of your monitors.

Not using multiview may be a good option, even with monitors not in a straight line. You get some geometry distortion, but you don't look at these side screens too often, so for practical reasons it should suffice.
    If someone is very strict about sie monitors having accurrate view angles, he will have to use multiview or set his monitors in straight line.

10. Andy Bonar

Andy Bonar Registered

Finally got mine looking and running very well.
    Thanks for all the help.

Using multiview and most settings on high I can now get frame rates around 50.
    I no longer use Nvidia inspector to tweak and it looks and performs just as well.

Hdr can be s bit of a killer on the odd track but thats easy enough to turn off when needed

11. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

With multiview off it is just one 5760x1080 image (or whatever resolution you choose). This is how almost every game on the market does triple screens, including all those massive budget mainstream games from huge development studios that "CLAIM" proper triple screen support, ya....righttttt.

With multiview on you are getting 3 seperate images of 1920x1080, one for each screen. It's like haveing 3 seperate cameras. One projecting out an image for 1 screen, 1 for the other, and one for the other. The most stretching you get in this mode is the same amount that you would ever get on a single screen (since it's essentially 3 seperate single screen images) which is almost none, especially if you use a lower FOV.

RFactor (and RFactor based products like Game Stock Car, Formula Truck, Superleage Formula, and I believe ARCA Simracing and Turismo Caraterra as well), RFactor 2, Assetto Corsa, IRacing, and some flight sims (and probably some other games I don't know about) all have this feature.

Note that ISI engine based games based on a pre-RFactor engine do not have this multiview option, for eg. GTR, GT Legends, GTR2, Race 07/Race Injection, GTR Evo, and I think RaceRoom Revolution Experience and the DTM game as well sadly don't have "true triple screen support" AKA the "multiview" option.

For some, like me, it is extremely hard to play on triple screens without "multiview". For me, moving to a triple screen setup has sort of actually ruined my GT Legends and Race 07/Race Injection experience. All the stretching on the outside monitors looks just absolutely terrible. It is so distracting and sort of messes with your brain/vision. Using a low FOV helps as the lower you go the less the distortion becomes, but I am cjrrently using a low FOV of just 25 and things still look awful on the outer monitors. Also, when you are looking at your apex point or your exit point of a corner in one of the outside monitors, well you almost might as well not even do so and just drive "blindly" as the distortion/stretching is so messed without proper "multiview" support that those outside monitors just screw you up even more.

Not sure how a small team like ISI have had true proper triple screen support since one of RFactor's updates in around 2007 or so, yet all these mega studios like Electronic Arts, Crytek (Crysis), Call of Duty guys, and pretty much every other mainstream game out there still has no proper triple screen support, it's 2014 and all these guys still use a single viewpoint mode for their triple screen games with abolutely horrendous stretching in the sides. You can lower the FOV to get closer to a more true-to-life view, but even then things still massively stretch, not to mention the minimum FOV in Battlefield 3 is only 60 degrees, when we usually need something like 15-25 for a true-to-life experience.

The problem is your setup, not multiview...

Use a lower FOV, and/or change the angle of your monitors, and/or change the distance you are seated to your screens and it will look perfect.

Multiview gives as much as a flawless image as you get from a single screen. You just need to change the distance you eyes are from your screens and/or change the angle of your monitors to compliment the multiview feature (your in-game FOV affects this as well).

When I ticked on multiview all I had to do was move my chair about 3 or 4 inches closer to my screens (just look for the dash of your car to look straight and correct spanning all 3 monitors) and voila, as perfect image as you can get from my monitors.

What's broken with multiview? Are you talking about the low FPS? That I agree, it uses too much resources relative to other sims with their multiview options enabled.

Setup and looks wise I am still messing with the 4 options in AC for a proper view SINCE DAY 1. I even measured everything and plugged those numbers in and it's still awkard and distracting. Not to mention it adjusts your FOV in order to attempt, rather unsuccessfully, to give you the perfect view. On top of this, it doesn't even tell you what FOV it's adjusted your view to.

With RFactor 1, RFactor 2, Game Stock Car, Formula Truck, etc. It takes me about 30 seconds to have an absolutely beautiful and "perfect" image. I click multiview for the game (bezel compensation already done in graphics card driver control panel), once in the game on a track I just either adjust the angle of my monitors or adjust the distance to my centre monitor, or a bit of both, and bang, absolutely perfect view. Assetto Corsa, months and months later I'm still messing with all the values and still searching for that perfect view that took me, honestly, less than 1 single minute to setup in RFactor 2 (as well as RF1, GSC, and FT).

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2014
  12. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

I like the view with multi view Off, because I use a low FOV 27-35 and I'm very close to the central screen(70cm)!

13. Narrowbackwing

@spinelli that's interesting I will try that set up , but I can't move my seat any closer than it is .

When you say change angle of monitors do you mean have them straight across , also I mostly drive formula 1 / 2 or 3 open wheelers , so maybe a closed cockpit will allways look better in multiview .

14. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

The world around you only looks one way, so it doesn't matter if you are in a GT car, a road car, a truck, or an open-wheel car, your FOV/view shouldn't change between any of them.

Do not put your monitors straight across, the only time you should do that is if playing with multiview off (don't think this gets rid of the stretching/distortion though, that will always be there with multiview off).

With multiview on I'd start with your monitors angled towards you around 45 degrees, but that, in combination with the distance between your eyes and monitor, and your in-game FOV all make a difference to getting the perfect look.

What in-game FOV are you using?...

15. Andy Bonar

Andy Bonar Registered

Thanks for the info spinelli...very helpful and informative

16. FatnSlo

FatnSlo Registered

While I agree with you Spinelli concerning the use of Multiview, I don't agree that it is superior to AC's version. I think AC's, iRacing's and even the old LFS's versions of Multiview are far superior to ISI's. I want to be able to adjust the angle of the side screens through the game and bezel compensation needs to be done in game so that none of the menu's are cut off as in the case when using Multiview with ISI sims and bezel compensation done outside of the game.

17. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

What you can do is to edit this line SubViews=0 to SubViews=3 in you config.ini and you get 22,5 deg.angle to you monitors.
    You config.ini is here: Libraries\Documents\rFactor2\UserData "Config"

18. Paul_Ceglia

Paul_Ceglia Registered

thanks for this tip, how can you measure the in game angle?

19. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

You must move monitors when you are in game and looking some strait object(line) like guardrail or some similar object.

20. Narrowbackwing

Wow I will try this for sure ,thanks .

@spinelli FOV 33 , and I try to bring the monitors closer to me .
    Thanks

Edit , I am very interested in trying multi now that I have a card that can handle it better and getting a few tips here will help .