Transparent Trainer & Ghost Car

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by whitmore, Dec 13, 2013.

1. whitmore

whitmore Registered

I have read through a lot of discussions looking for an answer on the behaviour of the Transparent Trainer but have been able to find answers.

Could some one please explain how the trainer and ghost cars are working because no matter what setting I use best, save or last when in a practice session I get the trainer car and no ghost car.

When in an offline race I get both. I understand the ghost car when referred to as last and best although I do not get a ghost in practice. What is saved meant to be?

The transparent trainer does not seem to represent my lap times as sometimes it is faster and sometimes it is slower yet it has the same options.

IS transparent trainer and ghost car the same thing? It looks to me like the transparent trainer is just another AI.

The settings in the UI under the heading transparent trainer seem like are only for the ghost car but using use the name transparent trainer.

2. Caterham_Super_7

Caterham_Super_7 Registered

I agree - we'd like to know more about it too.

3. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Transparent trainer and ghost car is the same thing. Sorry but that is your only question I understood.

4. whitmore

whitmore Registered

Seems like there is very little information known on how the Transparent trainer is supposed to operate

5. nudger1964

nudger1964 Registered

noticed there was instructions on an earlier thread how to reset the ghost, but the link to post was broken - can someone repeat the instructions here?
    The ghost for me pretty much works, except I have found that if i do an online session using a track (even isi track) when i then go offline single player, the ghost never seems to work on that track with the car as used online. If there a way to reset that it be great.
    Would also really like to know what "saved" is - although suspect thats just a feature not yet implimented

6. Galaga

Galaga Banned

I sometimes get an AI that is named trainer but it is not the trainer it is AI and not a ghost, I.e. real collidable car.

7. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

yes there is something not quite right here, I'm not exactly sure what is going on but something dosnt seem quite right

8. Deadpedal

Deadpedal Registered

There are a few things that can go wrong when using the transparent trainer:
    Burst into flames and/or smoking heavily;
    Off track cut, spin or blatant shortcut that makes it impossible to beat the lap time; this can happen when the cut rules are not done or well enough and the lap is timed as opposed to "lap will not count";
    Online session after offline session makes trainer unavailable/invisible. The transparent trainer is not visible during an online session but you may set fastest lap during the online session. When the next time you are lapping offline, the transparent trainer does not show up:

The only way I know of getting it back to normal is to delete the .ttl file associated with the car and track. The file is [car name].ttl and is located in the C:\Users\[name]\Documents\rFactor2\UserData\player\Settings\[trackname] folder.

The game interface provides for only these settings from Main Menu>Settings>Display: best lap, previous lap, saved lap or off and the "lead time" is also a variable (the car re-appears each lap this amount of time ahead of you as you cross the start finish line). I always use 0.25sec, but I think the default is somewhat greater.

Your player.PLR file has 4 lines that can be modified, two of which are the same variable noted above:
    Transparent Trainer Lap="2" // 0=off, 1=use saved lap (never updated), 2=use best lap (starts with saved lap but updates if faster), 3=always use last lap
    Transparent Trainer Lead Time="0.25000" // how far ahead it starts the lap in seconds
    Transparent Trainer Alpha="0.50000" // how transparent it is
    Transparent Trainer Proximity="20.00000" // fades out within this distance

I think I read somewhere that it is in someways like an AI car, and it appears draftable, at least the TrackMap plugin shows you're getting a tow when you're close behind.
    I have noticed what appears to be a player named trainer running around on its own, but collideable? I'll have to keep an eye out for that.

I don't know if a .ttl file is shareable, i.e. e-mail it to a buddy and say, "Here, beat this." He drops it in the appropriate folder and then runs against the "ghost". Needs an experiment.

9. whitmore

whitmore Registered

Is the transparent car meant to show in replays?

10. nudger1964

nudger1964 Registered

thanks Deadpedal - that was useful - found that if i just delete the file after an online session the ghost works on that track again offline - so very happy about that!

11. Ecco_pRv

Ecco_pRv Registered

Yes, it does work. At least in the same car and class. Haven't tried cross-class comparisons yet.

We did this with the URD T5 Mod, and if you have a Transparent Trainer hotlap in an Aura (Audi), but you want to challange it with a Bayro (BMW) in the next run, just copy rename the .ttl-file from "AuraT5 2013.ttl" to "BayroT5 2013.ttl".

I strongly suggest making backups of your .ttl-files immediately since they are overwritten easily by the game.

12. Ecco_pRv

Ecco_pRv Registered

13. Deadpedal

Deadpedal Registered

That is SO cool! Thanks!

14. nudger1964

nudger1964 Registered

one of the things that kept me going back to Forza was the hotlapping challenges. ISI could really make use of this feature to bring in some fun competition