Train Mod?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Kristoff Rand, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

So would it not be pretty easy to make a train mod? wouldn't everything work right out of the box?

[​IMG]

2. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

Ehh, no ? There is no way to "trail" the vehicle without beating up the collision system - and possibly gettings stuck all the time.

3. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

so coupling the cars would be an issue? perhaps they could be conntected via another system, like suspension? springs? Besides bump drafting in rF1 worked just fine. we beat each other around the track constantly. That seems like a small mountain to climb...

4. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

tire model wouldn't work to good to model the variable radius wheel that permits a train to take turns without derailing. No differential in a train. solid axle .

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 mediante Tapatalk

5. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

A variable radius wheel? Did not know that... I'm not really into trains. Just seemed like a natural mod addition. And it seemed like something a lot of people would like.

I imagined that there would only be traction on a certain part of the wheel and I also thought why use a tire at all? can wheels have no traction? seems like they did. I don't remember off the top of my head.

But I bet it was a challenge to make these too.

6. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

Here's some parts to play with if anyone has any curiosity. I think I might give it a stab when I have some free time. I have license to use anything on 3DW professionally and to disseminate it too, so if anyone gives you slack about the model, send them to me.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/ga4j39z81bev5lg/New_Design.3ds

http://www.mediafire.com/view/w99bkthu9x9qae9/scrn-558c7101.png

http://www.mediafire.com/view/bbpgaaxjqh8wn8h/scrn-558c7149.png

only 250,000 polys... lol but all the right parts to pay with...

7. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

3ds had some variants in it... reuploading. will be good in a few.

8. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

How about a AI train for Belgium to dodge. lol ;)

9. Skan

Skan Registered

10. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

Now we're talkin... that would be awesome to have a crossing warning going down.

11. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

12. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

https://youtu.be/agd8B-31bjE
    Here you can see how the geometry of the wheel is fundamental to avoid massive wheel spinning while turning.

Wheels for sure provide traction. It has nothing to do with the above. Otherwise the train wouldn't move! :)
    In a train traction is always provided by the front end wagon. We all have played with toy trains at home and know what happens when pushing the last wagon ;)

Regarding the simulation of boats it seems easy to do such a fake but I bet it would not be realistic at all considering that the boat variable contact patch cannot be properly simulated. It seems to me a faked car dressed with boat clothes racing over a faked water material.

I am not saying at all that it isn't nice to drive. I havent tried anything except cars with rfactor series. It might be entertaining!

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 mediante Tapatalk

13. Bink

Bink Registered

Already been done. The guy who did it also did animals... that would run across the track occasionally. If I remember correctly, he did the train by driving from the back, and pushed the rest of the train cars.

Do a google search... There are videos. I think it was posted in racedepartment.... The modder's name: ehrlec.

14. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

I did some searching and found most of what he had done, if not all had been scrubbed from the net... Images and videos alike. It said copyright claims on youtube. strange... But I guess there was never any real interest.

15. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

Is that what you regard as a MOD for a simulator ? And animals "running" across the track would be none-collision and prob. just done by rotating on the z-axis in a big circle.

16. Bink

Bink Registered

Sorry... It won't happen again.

17. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

You brought more solid information to the thread than anyone else has... including myself. So please do continue.

18. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

Yeah, don't be sorry, I just went along from the original question: "wouldn't everything work right out of the box?" And in my perspective it won't, not to a decent amount of realism atleast - for fun as a gimmick, sure alot is possible.

19. Bink

Bink Registered

#spaskis