Tracks loading into ram disk "solved"

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Pharohbender, Apr 16, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Pharohbender

Pharohbender Registered

Noticed that during loading rf2 is using up around 1.5gb in the taskmanager "details" wondering about loading files into ram disk, i have seen it in the forum, i dont need people telling me to buy a ssd or other items, i want to load files into ram what files should i create/enable junction to load into the ramdisk, thanks in advanced, fyi i have an ssd and hybrid drive and raid 0, so yeah i want Ramdisk replies thanks.

2. Pharohbender

Pharohbender Registered

Currently tested
    "D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\Common\rFactor 2\Installed\Locations"
    D being where i have installed my steam library.
    the locations file is quite big depending on what mods you have installed 12gb.. wtf

have placed the files in asus ram disk with junction, and seem to load it in less than 30secs, will keep testing

3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

What 'wtf'? That folder contains all your track files. Of course it's big.

4. Pharohbender

Pharohbender Registered

yes i know ... thats alot of my measly 24gb ram

5. Pharohbender

Pharohbender Registered

ok thats the spot just loaded 1988 tracks and picked the car i wanted and the track loaded in seconds, BRILLIANT
    size of all 1988 tracks about 2gb which i loaded in ram drive
    \locations\"pick your tracks you want to load super quick"
    im happy now, if i need to select another mod i will just change what locations i want on my ram drive and tracks will load super quick.

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Cool, so if you want to use a ramdisk to load your tracks quicker, it's a good idea to load the track files into your ramdisk. Interesting.

muz_j likes this.
  7. Pharohbender

Pharohbender Registered

yep, just tested palm beach which was taking around 2-4 minutes on the hybrid drive to load, i would walk away and comeback, but now is pretty much loading around 20 seconds... so all up a good day for RF2, no need to put cars or other files.

time to load 20.71 secs

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  8. Pharohbender

Pharohbender Registered

more test showing a beautiful result.... ahhh now thats what im talking about.;)

Sao Paolo Track
    Hybrid Disk Time: 58:64 :mad:
    Ram Disk Time: 21.73 :cool:
    Basthurst
    HD time: 41.38 :confused:
    Ram Disk Time: 26.37 :D

9. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

man, I don't think I've messed with a RAM disk since the days of the Commodore 64. Mayyybeee the SX386 PC. I had 5 or 6 custom memory loading options so that those Dang Ultima & Wing Commander games would load.
    However, I routinely shut down the power to my computer when I'm at work all day. Trying to save a few nickels So I would have to redo the RAM disk every time I re-started.

10. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

Errr what is RAM disk,and also are these times for when you fist ever load a configure of that track or is it after multiple times.
    For me the first time may take a minute or two,then after that it's like less than 30secs.

Sorry for the dumb question

11. Pharohbender

Pharohbender Registered

lol its actually automatic now, if you power off or hit the power button it will save the files before it shuts down. funny stuff i remember it from the 486dx2 days.

12. Pharohbender

Pharohbender Registered

not so dumb if you have never used it.
    it creates a drive from your extra ram.
    i have 24gb of ram so i created a 10gb Drive which accesses the unused ram, by doing this you get the speed of ram.
    it's faster than a ssd and speeds up the loading of certain things like the tracks in rf2.
    in other games texture files ect.
    i dont use it very often but in this case its a winner, i played all day and rf2 loads like it should now, fkn quick.
    most of the tracks are loading in 20'sec
    also some info
    https://rog.asus.com/technology/republic-of-gamers-motherboard-innovations/ramdisk/
    and you can also get dimmdrive on steam, which i did but got a refund because i have an asus mobo and can use ram disk, but also because i didn't know which files to add to dimmdrive.

13. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

Thanks for the clarification,that sounds handy,being able to use ram in this way

14. Pharohbender

Pharohbender Registered

yes, you can also use this for temp storage.
    works well with chrome files, makes youtube download vids faster but thats another story.

15. muz_j

muz_j Registered

...the main issue being that RAM is volatile and you need to copy content into it after each boot.
    I do have ImDisk installed and use it regularly for mounting disk images (it also supports RAM disk creation) https://sourceforge.net/projects/imdisk-toolkit/ - but for me, it's not useful for rFactor 2, as my installed game is much larger than my 20 GB of memory. I appreciate I could selectively copy content into the RAM disk, but that's annoying.
    So in my case I have the games "Cache" and "Installed" folders re-directed to a fast SSD, which meets my needs.
    RAM drives are particularly good at speeding up content that contains lots of small files, rather than several large ones - eg: something like Skyrim runs much, much quicker off a RAM drive.
    Fun to play with though and use when you - and ImDisk is open source, free and reliable :)

Goanna likes this.