TrackIR Stuttering / Erratic behaviour - How do I get smooth movement?

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by MrPix, Dec 1, 2013.

1. MrPix

MrPix Registered

Hi,

Before you say it, I have searched... and to be honest the search function came up with so many irrelevant results, I gave up reading after an hour or so.

I'm sure I read some months ago about something that can be altered, maybe in the .plr file or something to stop the stuttering / erratic behaviour / lack of smoothness when panning with TrackIR in the cockpit view, but I'm struggling to find it.

Something along the lines of flushing frames, but there seems to be no longer be an entry in the .plr file of anything I have tried to search/scan for.

I get oodles of fps on my setup, but when I sweep left/right with TrackIR, it looks like I'm getting only a handful. I've tried altering the smoothing in TrackIR CP, but have yet to find a setting that eradicates it...

Please help if you can and know of a resolution to my despair!

I can post a video if needed, but if you have TrackIR, you'll surely be aware of it anyhow.... just looking for a real fix, not guesswork. (please)

2. Jerry Luis

Jerry Luis Banned

3. MrPix

MrPix Registered

I have no problem with the graphics or fps... just with TrackIR as stated in the OP, I run with everything maxxed out and have 100 fps + and as smooth as butter... but the problem is when moving my head.... I don't see how that thread can help me? Can you please help me to understand how that thread can help my TrackIR problem... does it help you with TrackIR and smoothness when moving your head? And if so, how?

4. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

Mine definately doesn't like Vsync, stutters very badly. I have also increased 'glancerate' in the plr to 255 although I don't know what the accepted range is. Still isn't perfect but , for me, with plenty of smoothing it is driveable.

5. Jerry Luis

Jerry Luis Banned

Reading.

6. deak1944

deak1944 Guest

Try pulling all usb out and reinsert. Got my realhead working again.

7. MrPix

MrPix Registered

Thanks, I read the entire thread and it does not mention TrackIR. Please read my original post. I wager you don't even have a TrackIR!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2013
  8. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

This could be way off but I can't help thinking it might be related, when releasing the camera with U (freecam) and moving it with the mouse it is never smooth, always jaggy etc. (this is often used in creating video's)

In rf it was much smoother then now eventhough even in rf1 mouse control was not perfect either.
    If related i imagine TrackIR giving even more issues.

9. MrPix

MrPix Registered

I altered the glancerate as you suggested and upped the smoothing to 50 in TIR... and it's now at a level I can endure... many thanks for the useful input!

10. Jerry Luis

Jerry Luis Banned

I donĀ“t have TrackiR but a lot of low fps performance in high-end gfx come to best config in game, nvidia profile and plr file. And that thread has many posts about this issue but not related to trackir.

Anyway, bite me.

11. MrPix

MrPix Registered

As I said, it's not low fps performance that is the problem, it's the un-smooth TrackIR as stated in the first post.

:D << is that the biting smiley?

12. kaptainkremmen

You're welcome.

13. whitmore

whitmore Registered

I have TRACK IR and have to recentre all the time. I mapped a button on my G27 wheel to recentre. Stuterering happens to me if I don't recentre. Constantly pushing my recentre Button is needed. Doing this detracks from my concentration as well which I hate.

MY glance rate is 150 Smoothing 20 Profile default. I also have the camera set to precision mode on (F7).

IS this the same for other TrackIR users.

14. kaptainkremmen

I start by removing all smoothing ,speed 1, no precision.
    The tracking will look very jittery. I adjust the camera IR Brightness and Light Filter Threshold until the jitters are as good as I can get them.
    I use a slightly modified one : one profile and add smoothing until things look smooth in game.

I have to recentre occasionally but with the one : one profile it isn't much of a problem.

15. MrPix

MrPix Registered

you can just add a little deadzone to your horizontal rotation (yaw) and sideways movement (x) to alleviate the need to re-center constantly.

View attachment 10995

notice the 3 dots at the bottom all on the same plane... I use about 4cm either side for (x) and about 3cm either side for (yaw)

View attachment 10996

16. Jerry Luis

Jerry Luis Banned

No, this: [​IMG]

17. whitmore

whitmore Registered

Thanks for the tips and file I will go do the changes now and let you know how I get on.

18. whitmore

whitmore Registered

OK made the changes. Runs smooth no stuttering just still need to re centre. Eye point changes quite a lot if re centring is not done.

From a drivers point of vies this really is a it hard to deal with. I expanded the dead zones to try to improve but did not really get any better.
    I imported the xml file and used it as supplied before trying some changes to it.

Thanks for the help.

19. Butch Nackley

Butch Nackley Registered

I'm not sure why you are having problems with it getting off center. I don't ever have that problem. In fact, it is extremely rare I ever have to hit the center key. Maybe I am just so used to using it, I 'naturally' keep it from getting off center. I mean, I am always looking around, so I am very used to getting back on center without any problems.
    Light sources will throw it off, if you have a light on that the camera catches.
    I have never had any stuttering problems with it either, so something is causing that for you. It is smooth as silk here in rF and all my flight sims too. LOL, even Test Drive Unlimited works fine.
    Here is a shot of my Yaw settings. I use full 6DoF and only Roll has much of any sort of dead a zone added in. I can send you the xml file, if you want to try it. Just pm me your addy.

20. furiousgibbon

furiousgibbon Registered

This stuttering almost feels like the game only polls for head movement every few frames. It's the only game I've used trackIR with that exhibits this behavior, and now I'm running multiview (with a huge framerate hit) it's even worse. Sometimes it jumps so far it makes me feel like i've just blacked out for a split second. I cranked smoothing, lowered the reaction curves in trackIR but no real difference.

I love rf2 and out of all the current sims it's the one I enjoy the most, but this stuttering and the poor multiview performance (now i've seen how it looks I can't go back to stretched triple screen) is really letting it down.