Track scale and elevation

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FatCity, Apr 19, 2014.

1. FatCity

FatCity Registered

This is just a casual observance by me but I was wondering if the RF2 game engine etc had some sort of effect on converted tracks that give the sensation that they have a greater elevation or depth to the tracks, for example, to me, both the Nordschliefe and Bathurst conversions ( unauthorised ORSM conversion ) seem to have steeper climbs and deeper dips in the tracks. I haven't noticed this as much in other tracks but there's not too may that have as many sections as these 2.
    I run triple monitors with a FOV of 35, I ran exactly the same setup with RF1 but there's no way the tracks looked the same as this.

There seems to be a scale difference to the cars at Bathurst, the walls look bigger and the car looks smaller than it should using the outside track camera view, but I put this down to the conversion as the ISI tracks don't have this effect, of course they shouldn't either.

As I said , an observance to me but I'd like to see what other people thought about it.

2. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

Unlikely since units are set in meters and there is no unit conversion happening. What I have noticed is that the aspect ratio of screenshots does not match what is being used in game resulting in distorted images. I first noticed it with IDT's screen shots.

3. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Longford for mine looks the same in both rF and rF2 , Mid Ohio too when it comes to elevation.

Would ORSM Bathurst and V8 Supercars scratch look out of proportion, I doubt it.

At least rF2 has broken the addon sims mould, ie: Spa, Monaco. Monza ...................you all been driving GPL converts for 15 years. lopl :)

No one is going to be converting rF2 versions into anything. Why would you even bother with no real road ........... how silly. lol

P.S.

Besides GPL has Monaco Rocks 3 and "historically correct" Spa coming ......... lopl they can convert them too.... ( oh dear )

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2014
  4. bwana

bwana Registered

I have noticed that effect Fats but am now running a much lower FOV since going to RF2 and cockpit only perhaps the camera /eye view is whats deceiving you as I believe you are cockpit only now?

5. clockit

clockit Registered

View attachment 12362 Triples lock your actual head position to a very precise location, as the image on this page shows. http://mrpix.org/rF2/fov/?m=3
    rFactor has the side screens set at 45 degrees, which locks it down even tighter.
    To make matters worse, (unless your eyes are level with the centre of your screen) you have to manual edit the vertical seat pitch in the PLR file.

I have to say, it's well worth the effort and makes it a lot easier racing wheel to wheel.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2014
  6. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Is that the Bathurst with a very dark track and no RealRoad and bog standard AIW? (i.e. pointless for offline!)

7. FatCity

FatCity Registered

I,m pretty sure real road is working.

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

No, the side screens have to face you directly (with multiview on). But if your FOV isn't correct nothing will look right anyway.

9. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Yeah there's two versions i had the bad one, can you pm me a link with this one please mate ta